Derek Lunsford Shares Health Update 16 Weeks from 2023 Olympia, Expects Baby in 2024

Muscle Insider

Bodybuilding star Derek Lunsford is entering his latest prep with a little extra motivation. In a recent YouTube video, Lunsford showed off his physique, shared a health update, and revealed he’s expecting a child in 2024.

“Probably not too much more size. We just started prep. I’m going to start re-comping at this weight. Right around 260 or right under that in the morning. So, I’ll probably stay at this weight and slowly bring it down,” Lunsford shared.

Last year, Lunsford dominated headlines following the statement he made guest posing at the Pittsburgh Pro. He held his own standing against major names in the category such as Nick Walker, Hunter Labrada, Brandon Curry, and Quinton Eriya. His exciting appearance in Pittsburgh in part convinced Olympia to extend him a special invite to compete in the Open division, which he accepted.
When the smoke cleared on Mr. Olympia’s stage last December, the finals saw Nick Walker, Lunsford, and his teammate, Hadi Choopan battle for gold. Mamdouh ‘Big Ramy’ Elssbiay was dethroned in a shocking upset. This paved the way for Choopan to win his first Sandow trophy.

Unlike in 2022, Lunsford was able to dedicate an entire off-season to his Olympia prep this year. He’s been open about his mindset heading into the show and is confident he has the tools and work ethic to take down the champ.
Derek Lunsford Shares Blood Work, Physical Therapy Session, Expects Baby in 2024
Lunsford received a blood screening to ensure his health markers were on point before his prep ramps up.

“I’m just starting my prep for Olympia officially, officially. I’ve been training hard all year you know, it’s the lifestyle so it’s year-round but now we’re about to really ramp things up for the Olympia. We’re just over 16 weeks out. I hit up Jimmy, I was like, ‘Hey man, I need to get my blood work done, and make sure my health markers are good.’ I feel good, but I want to know internally that I’m 100%,” said Derek Lunsford.

Lunsford underwent physical therapy next, which he said improved his overall mobility.
“Man my arms move way further than I thought they were going to,” shared Lunsford. “Already feeling better, for real. Listen, I know it doesn’t take just one time to fix a problem, because like I said, I’ve been feeling a little bit of – I need to increase my range of motion doing overhead presses, bicep curls, triceps extensions have kind of been bothering me and stuff lately. The thing is, first and foremost, you got to get it addressed. Preferably ASAP.
Me, I’ve kind of been letting it linger a little bit over these last couple of months. It’s not getting any better and it’s not getting any worse. I was like listen, enough is enough, let’s go see Tara and get it addressed immediately. I don’t expect it to be 100% perfect after one time. I think it’s important you consistently come back and get it worked on and stuff.”
Before the video concluded, Lunsford and his partner shared a touching moment on the beach where they announced that they are expecting a baby in 2024.

In addition to health and training updates, Lunsford has kept fans in the loop on his nutrition as he enters contest prep. He recently showed off a full day of eating and supplements. To ensure his physique is Olympia-ready, Lunsford is consuming five whole food meals a day with protein shakes.
Active bodybuilders and retired Pros have been vocal about their favorites ahead of 2023 Olympia. Nick Walker doesn’t believe Choopan will be a problem this year. He underlined that the next title will be claimed by either himself or Lunsford.
However, if you ask eight-time Mr. Olympia Ronnie Coleman about his biggest frontrunner, he’d say Derek Lunsford. Not only that, but Coleman dubbed Lunsford as his favorite bodybuilder of the current era. Meanwhile, William Bonac, who is taking a year off to focus on improvements, is confident Choopan will repeat as champion this Nov.
Given his ability to improve year-to-year, Lunsford remains committed to his goal of becoming the only man to win both the 212 and Open Bodybuilding Mr. Olympia titles.
RELATED: Derek Lunsford Builds Huge Back and Biceps With Legend Ronnie Coleman
You can watch the full video from Derek Lunsford’s YouTube channel below:

Published: 14 July, 2023 | 3:55 PM EDT

Collage-Maker-14-Jul-2023-03-07-PM-5068.jpg
Bodybuilding star Derek Lunsford is entering his latest prep with a little extra motivation. In a recent YouTube video, Lunsford showed off his physique, shared a health update, and revealed he’s expecting a child in 2024.

“Probably not too much more size. We just started prep. I’m going to start re-comping at this weight. Right around 260 or right under that in the morning. So, I’ll probably stay at this weight and slowly bring it down,” Lunsford shared.

[/quote]
Last year, Lunsford dominated headlines following the statement he made guest posing at the Pittsburgh Pro. He held his own standing against major names in the category such as Nick Walker, Hunter Labrada, Brandon Curry, and Quinton Eriya. His exciting appearance in Pittsburgh in part convinced Olympia to extend him a special invite to compete in the Open division, which he accepted.

When the smoke cleared on Mr. Olympia’s stage last December, the finals saw Nick Walker, Lunsford, and his teammate, Hadi Choopan battle for gold. Mamdouh ‘Big Ramy’ Elssbiay was dethroned in a shocking upset. This paved the way for Choopan to win his first Sandow trophy.

Unlike in 2022, Lunsford was able to dedicate an entire off-season to his Olympia prep this year. He’s been open about his mindset heading into the show and is confident he has the tools and work ethic to take down the champ.

Derek Lunsford Shares Blood Work, Physical Therapy Session, Expects Baby in 2024
Lunsford received a blood screening to ensure his health markers were on point before his prep ramps up.

“I’m just starting my prep for Olympia officially, officially. I’ve been training hard all year you know, it’s the lifestyle so it’s year-round but now we’re about to really ramp things up for the Olympia. We’re just over 16 weeks out. I hit up Jimmy, I was like, ‘Hey man, I need to get my blood work done, and make sure my health markers are good.’ I feel good, but I want to know internally that I’m 100%,” said Derek Lunsford.

[/quote]
Lunsford underwent physical therapy next, which he said improved his overall mobility.

“Man my arms move way further than I thought they were going to,” shared Lunsford. “Already feeling better, for real. Listen, I know it doesn’t take just one time to fix a problem, because like I said, I’ve been feeling a little bit of – I need to increase my range of motion doing overhead presses, bicep curls, triceps extensions have kind of been bothering me and stuff lately. The thing is, first and foremost, you got to get it addressed. Preferably ASAP.

Me, I’ve kind of been letting it linger a little bit over these last couple of months. It’s not getting any better and it’s not getting any worse. I was like listen, enough is enough, let’s go see Tara and get it addressed immediately. I don’t expect it to be 100% perfect after one time. I think it’s important you consistently come back and get it worked on and stuff.”

[/quote]
Before the video concluded, Lunsford and his partner shared a touching moment on the beach where they announced that they are expecting a baby in 2024.

In addition to health and training updates, Lunsford has kept fans in the loop on his nutrition as he enters contest prep. He recently showed off a full day of eating and supplements. To ensure his physique is Olympia-ready, Lunsford is consuming five whole food meals a day with protein shakes.

Active bodybuilders and retired Pros have been vocal about their favorites ahead of 2023 Olympia. Nick Walker doesn’t believe Choopan will be a problem this year. He underlined that the next title will be claimed by either himself or Lunsford.

However, if you ask eight-time Mr. Olympia Ronnie Coleman about his biggest frontrunner, he’d say Derek Lunsford. Not only that, but Coleman dubbed Lunsford as his favorite bodybuilder of the current era. Meanwhile, William Bonac, who is taking a year off to focus on improvements, is confident Choopan will repeat as champion this Nov.

Given his ability to improve year-to-year, Lunsford remains committed to his goal of becoming the only man to win both the 212 and Open Bodybuilding Mr. Olympia titles.

RELATED: Derek Lunsford Builds Huge Back and Biceps With Legend Ronnie Coleman

You can watch the full video from Derek Lunsford’s YouTube channel below:

Published: 14 July, 2023 | 3:55 PM EDT

Click here to view the article.

Back