Frank Zane Reveals His Secret That Helped Him Bag Three Mr. Olympia Titles

Muscle Insider

Legendary bodybuilder and fitness icon Frank Zane has captivated the bodybuilding community with his sculpted and symmetrical physique. His journey to the top started during the 1960s, and he retired with three Olympia titles under his belt. In a recent episode of ‘The High-Performance Life’ podcast, which was hosted by Scott Danner, Zane spoke in detail about his illustrious career and revealed his most cherished moment of competitive bodybuilding.

Joe Weider gave birth to the Mr. Olympia competition in 1965, which soon became the ultimate battleground for professional bodybuilders globally. Winning on the Mr. Olympia stage was not an easy nut to crack by any means. Opening up about this, Zane shared that the most satisfying moment of his career was the day he lifted the Sandow trophy for the third time. He revealed that the win was a result of sheer determination and consistency.
Disclosing the secret behind the victory, Zane stated:
“I continued doing what worked for me in the past, training on what’s called a three-way split routine…three different workouts usually done three days in a row and resting the fourth day, I just went by what has always worked for me and I retain that and kept doing it”

What got Zane into competitive bodybuilding?
The allure of outdoor activities like weight training and hiking surrounded Zane since he was just 14 years old. The dopamine release that Zane experienced while being in the Boy Scout led him slowly to the road of wellness and fitness. As Zane matured, he discovered a profound sense of fulfillment in setting goals and then working toward them. His hunger to achieve excellence was a top motivator for achieving greatness in his life.
RELATED: Frank Zane Discusses Competing vs Sergio Oliva & Longevity Tips: “Don’t Stay Peaked”
“I was good at school, and I just like challenges and working toward completing them,” Zane stated.
Zane shares his views on beating the legendary Arnold Schwarzenegger –
Frank Zane’s approach to the sport of bodybuilding focused entirely on achieving perfect symmetry and balance. These were the factors that helped him distinguish himself from the rest of the lineup. His attention to detail laid the foundation for one of the most symmetrical physiques ever displayed on a professional stage. Arnold Schwarzenegger, on the other hand, when first arrived in America, had a big muscular frame but lacked conditioning. According to the standards of American bodybuilding, Schwarzenegger was considered out of shape.
“We didn’t know each other at the time. It was 1968, and I just won Mr. America the week before and I was in great shape whereas he wasn’t in his best shape,” Zane recalled.
Beyond the stage, Zane’s influence on the realm of fitness and bodybuilding is unparalleled. (unparalleled) Apart from managing his own newsletter, Zane has also written numerous books on bodybuilding, optimum nutrition, and training practices. His focus on aesthetics has inspired countless lifters and aspiring bodybuilders to pursue a balanced approach to their craft.
You can check out the full podcast here:

Published: 3 August, 2023 | 3:38 PM EDT

Frank-Zane-talks-Secrets.jpg
Legendary bodybuilder and fitness icon Frank Zane has captivated the bodybuilding community with his sculpted and symmetrical physique. His journey to the top started during the 1960s, and he retired with three Olympia titles under his belt. In a recent episode of ‘The High-Performance Life’ podcast, which was hosted by Scott Danner, Zane spoke in detail about his illustrious career and revealed his most cherished moment of competitive bodybuilding.

Joe Weider gave birth to the Mr. Olympia competition in 1965, which soon became the ultimate battleground for professional bodybuilders globally. Winning on the Mr. Olympia stage was not an easy nut to crack by any means. Opening up about this, Zane shared that the most satisfying moment of his career was the day he lifted the Sandow trophy for the third time. He revealed that the win was a result of sheer determination and consistency.

Disclosing the secret behind the victory, Zane stated:

“I continued doing what worked for me in the past, training on what’s called a three-way split routine…three different workouts usually done three days in a row and resting the fourth day, I just went by what has always worked for me and I retain that and kept doing it”

[/quote]

What got Zane into competitive bodybuilding?
The allure of outdoor activities like weight training and hiking surrounded Zane since he was just 14 years old. The dopamine release that Zane experienced while being in the Boy Scout led him slowly to the road of wellness and fitness. As Zane matured, he discovered a profound sense of fulfillment in setting goals and then working toward them. His hunger to achieve excellence was a top motivator for achieving greatness in his life.

RELATED: Frank Zane Discusses Competing vs Sergio Oliva & Longevity Tips: “Don’t Stay Peaked”

“I was good at school, and I just like challenges and working toward completing them,” Zane stated.

[/quote]
Zane shares his views on beating the legendary Arnold Schwarzenegger –
Frank Zane’s approach to the sport of bodybuilding focused entirely on achieving perfect symmetry and balance. These were the factors that helped him distinguish himself from the rest of the lineup. His attention to detail laid the foundation for one of the most symmetrical physiques ever displayed on a professional stage. Arnold Schwarzenegger, on the other hand, when first arrived in America, had a big muscular frame but lacked conditioning. According to the standards of American bodybuilding, Schwarzenegger was considered out of shape.

“We didn’t know each other at the time. It was 1968, and I just won Mr. America the week before and I was in great shape whereas he wasn’t in his best shape,” Zane recalled.

[/quote]
Beyond the stage, Zane’s influence on the realm of fitness and bodybuilding is unparalleled. (unparalleled) Apart from managing his own newsletter, Zane has also written numerous books on bodybuilding, optimum nutrition, and training practices. His focus on aesthetics has inspired countless lifters and aspiring bodybuilders to pursue a balanced approach to their craft.

You can check out the full podcast here:

Published: 3 August, 2023 | 3:38 PM EDT

Click here to view the article.

Back