WWE Icon The Iron Sheik Dies at 81

Muscle Insider

Legendary pro wrestler The Iron Sheik, real name Hossein Khosrow Ali Vaziri, emerged as the first Iranian-American wrestling superstar in the 1980s. Among his many achievements, he was renowned for his fierce rivalry with fellow legend Hulk Hogan. In a recent post on Twitter, the news of Sheik’s passing was announced on Wednesday morning in a statement.
Hailing from Iran, The Iron Sheik took inspiration from Iranian Olympic Gold-Medalist wrestler Gholamreza Takhti and started the sport at a young age. His potential was evident from the start as he found success as an amateur wrestler with a gold medal at the National Amateur Athletic Union Greco-Roman Wrestling Championships in 1971. He went on to become the US team’s assistant coach for the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich before expanding his creative footprint in pro wrestling entertainment.
WWF/WWE took notice of The Iron Sheik’s gimmick and athletic abilities in 1979. He joined the company the same year and became the inaugural winner of the Battle Royale event. His ethnic character proved to be a big hit for the promotion as Vaziri played up to the political environment of Iran with his antagonistic role along with his massive build, outrageous persona, and rants against other competitors.
In 1983, Vaziri created history by winning the WWF World Heavyweight Championship. He developed an iconic rivalry with Hulk Hogan at the height of the promotion’s popularity. His first outing with Hogan is regarded as the beginning of Hogan’s ‘Hulkamania.’ Vaziri added to his accolades further when he won the WWF Tag Team Championship with partner Nikolai Volkoff at the first-ever Wrestle Mania event.

Vaziri stepped away from the wrestling ring in the 1990s but continued to make infrequent appearances over the next two decades. He accrued a massive following in the community and turned into a fan favorite towards the end of his career. He got inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2005. He made his final live appearance in 2010 and was featured in an episode of Biography: WWE Legends in 2022.
The Iron Sheik passes away at 81
In a statement released on Twitter, the tragic news of the passing of The Iron Sheik at age 81 was announced earlier this morning.
“Today, we gather with heavy hearts to bid farewell to a true legend, a force of nature, and an iconic figure who left an incredible mark on the world of professional wrestling,” wrote the statement. ”It is with great sadness that we share the news of the passing of The Iron Sheik, but we also take solace in knowing that he departed this world peacefully, leaving behind a legacy that will endure for generations to come.
“With his larger than life persona, incredible charisma, and unparalleled in-ring skills, he captivated audiences around the globe. He was a trailblazer, breaking barriers and paving the way for a diverse range of wrestlers who followed in his footsteps.
“Beyond the glitz and glamour of the squared circle, The Iron Sheik was a man of immense passion and dedication. He embodied resilience. He overcame countless challenges in his life, both inside and outside the wrestling ring. His journey from a small village in Iran to becoming one of the most recognized figures in the world of wrestling is a testament to his unwavering dedication.”
“Throughout his career, The Iron Sheik became a cultural phenomenon, transcending the real of professional wrestling to become a pop culture icon. His memorable catchphrases and unforgettable moments are etched into the memories of fans worldwide. He left an indelible mark on the industry, and his influence can still be felt in the world of wrestling today.”

RESPECT THE LEGEND FOREVER ? pic.twitter.com/Cr6CC9pXSO
— The Iron Sheik (@the_ironsheik) June 7, 2023

The Iron Sheik is survived by his wife Caryl, two daughters Tanya and Nikki, and five grandchildren.
Tributes from the wrestling community started pouring in after the news broke.
“My Dear Friend Khosrow Vaziri!!! We Started Wrestling Together In 1972,” wrote WWE legend Ric Flair. “Seems Like So Long Ago! We Crossed Paths So Many Times Over The Years & You Were Always So Entertaining. The Greatest Line You Ever Said To Me In 1972: “If I Had Your Hair, I Would Be With Elizabeth Taylor!” Rest In Peace My Friend. Be As Entertaining To God As You Were To All Of Us!”

My Dear Friend Khosrow Vaziri!!! We Started Wrestling Together In 1972. Seems Like So Long Ago! We Crossed Paths So Many Times Over The Years & You Were Always So Entertaining. The Greatest Line You Ever Said To Me In 1972: “If I Had Your Hair, I Would Be With Elizabeth Taylor!”… pic.twitter.com/MG4PO69wP1
— Ric Flair® (@RicFlairNatrBoy) June 7, 2023

“REMEMBERING THE IRON SHEIK The wrestling world lost a true legend today, with the passing of Khosrow Vaziri, better known to fans across the globe as The Iron Sheik,” tweeted Mick Foley. “Although I never got to know The Sheik well, I was fortunate to have been on hand for two of his most iconic matches – his WWE title victory over Bob Backlund at Madison Square Garden on December 26, 1983 and his “Boot Camp Match” with Sgt Slaughter at MSG in August, 1984. I also had the honor of wrestling the iron sheik for the first and only time – on a tour of Dominica in 1987. Khosrow Vaziri was truly one of a kind. I send my deepest condolences to his family, friends, and all those who loved him.”

REMEMBERING THE IRON SHEIK
The wrestling world lost a true legend today, with the passing of Khosrow Vaziri, better known to fans across the globe as The Iron Sheik. Although I never got to know The Sheik well, I was fortunate to have been on hand for two of his most iconic… pic.twitter.com/mVMqTaeXtE
— Mick Foley (@foleyispod) June 7, 2023

The legend. An all-time great performer and WWE Hall of Famer who brought his character to life and transcended our business,” reacted Triple H. “My condolences to The Iron Sheik’s family, friends and fans.”

The legend. An all-time great performer and WWE Hall of Famer who brought his character to life and transcended our business.
My condolences to The Iron Sheik’s family, friends and fans.
— Triple H (@TripleH) June 7, 2023

RELATED: WWE Hall of Famer ‘Superstar’ Billy Graham Dies at 79, Wrestling Legends Pay Emotional Tribute
The Iron Sheik’s legacy will continue to inspire the next generation for years to come. Fitness Volt sends condolences to friends and family of The Iron Sheik during this time.
Published: 7 June, 2023 | 4:52 PM EDT

Collage-Maker-07-Jun-2023-01-16-PM-2047.jpg
Legendary pro wrestler The Iron Sheik, real name Hossein Khosrow Ali Vaziri, emerged as the first Iranian-American wrestling superstar in the 1980s. Among his many achievements, he was renowned for his fierce rivalry with fellow legend Hulk Hogan. In a recent post on Twitter, the news of Sheik’s passing was announced on Wednesday morning in a statement.

Hailing from Iran, The Iron Sheik took inspiration from Iranian Olympic Gold-Medalist wrestler Gholamreza Takhti and started the sport at a young age. His potential was evident from the start as he found success as an amateur wrestler with a gold medal at the National Amateur Athletic Union Greco-Roman Wrestling Championships in 1971. He went on to become the US team’s assistant coach for the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich before expanding his creative footprint in pro wrestling entertainment.

WWF/WWE took notice of The Iron Sheik’s gimmick and athletic abilities in 1979. He joined the company the same year and became the inaugural winner of the Battle Royale event. His ethnic character proved to be a big hit for the promotion as Vaziri played up to the political environment of Iran with his antagonistic role along with his massive build, outrageous persona, and rants against other competitors.

In 1983, Vaziri created history by winning the WWF World Heavyweight Championship. He developed an iconic rivalry with Hulk Hogan at the height of the promotion’s popularity. His first outing with Hogan is regarded as the beginning of Hogan’s ‘Hulkamania.’ Vaziri added to his accolades further when he won the WWF Tag Team Championship with partner Nikolai Volkoff at the first-ever Wrestle Mania event.

Vaziri stepped away from the wrestling ring in the 1990s but continued to make infrequent appearances over the next two decades. He accrued a massive following in the community and turned into a fan favorite towards the end of his career. He got inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2005. He made his final live appearance in 2010 and was featured in an episode of Biography: WWE Legends in 2022.

The Iron Sheik passes away at 81
In a statement released on Twitter, the tragic news of the passing of The Iron Sheik at age 81 was announced earlier this morning.

“Today, we gather with heavy hearts to bid farewell to a true legend, a force of nature, and an iconic figure who left an incredible mark on the world of professional wrestling,” wrote the statement. ”It is with great sadness that we share the news of the passing of The Iron Sheik, but we also take solace in knowing that he departed this world peacefully, leaving behind a legacy that will endure for generations to come.

“With his larger than life persona, incredible charisma, and unparalleled in-ring skills, he captivated audiences around the globe. He was a trailblazer, breaking barriers and paving the way for a diverse range of wrestlers who followed in his footsteps.

“Beyond the glitz and glamour of the squared circle, The Iron Sheik was a man of immense passion and dedication. He embodied resilience. He overcame countless challenges in his life, both inside and outside the wrestling ring. His journey from a small village in Iran to becoming one of the most recognized figures in the world of wrestling is a testament to his unwavering dedication.”

“Throughout his career, The Iron Sheik became a cultural phenomenon, transcending the real of professional wrestling to become a pop culture icon. His memorable catchphrases and unforgettable moments are etched into the memories of fans worldwide. He left an indelible mark on the industry, and his influence can still be felt in the world of wrestling today.”

[/quote]

RESPECT THE LEGEND FOREVER ? pic.twitter.com/Cr6CC9pXSO

— The Iron Sheik (@the_ironsheik) June 7, 2023

[/quote]

The Iron Sheik is survived by his wife Caryl, two daughters Tanya and Nikki, and five grandchildren.

Tributes from the wrestling community started pouring in after the news broke.

“My Dear Friend Khosrow Vaziri!!! We Started Wrestling Together In 1972,” wrote WWE legend Ric Flair. “Seems Like So Long Ago! We Crossed Paths So Many Times Over The Years & You Were Always So Entertaining. The Greatest Line You Ever Said To Me In 1972: “If I Had Your Hair, I Would Be With Elizabeth Taylor!” Rest In Peace My Friend. Be As Entertaining To God As You Were To All Of Us!”

[/quote]

My Dear Friend Khosrow Vaziri!!! We Started Wrestling Together In 1972. Seems Like So Long Ago! We Crossed Paths So Many Times Over The Years & You Were Always So Entertaining. The Greatest Line You Ever Said To Me In 1972: “If I Had Your Hair, I Would Be With Elizabeth Taylor!”… pic.twitter.com/MG4PO69wP1

— Ric Flair® (@RicFlairNatrBoy) June 7, 2023

[/quote]

“REMEMBERING THE IRON SHEIK The wrestling world lost a true legend today, with the passing of Khosrow Vaziri, better known to fans across the globe as The Iron Sheik,” tweeted Mick Foley. “Although I never got to know The Sheik well, I was fortunate to have been on hand for two of his most iconic matches – his WWE title victory over Bob Backlund at Madison Square Garden on December 26, 1983 and his “Boot Camp Match” with Sgt Slaughter at MSG in August, 1984. I also had the honor of wrestling the iron sheik for the first and only time – on a tour of Dominica in 1987. Khosrow Vaziri was truly one of a kind. I send my deepest condolences to his family, friends, and all those who loved him.”

[/quote]

REMEMBERING THE IRON SHEIK

The wrestling world lost a true legend today, with the passing of Khosrow Vaziri, better known to fans across the globe as The Iron Sheik. Although I never got to know The Sheik well, I was fortunate to have been on hand for two of his most iconic… pic.twitter.com/mVMqTaeXtE

— Mick Foley (@foleyispod) June 7, 2023

[/quote]

The legend. An all-time great performer and WWE Hall of Famer who brought his character to life and transcended our business,” reacted Triple H. “My condolences to The Iron Sheik’s family, friends and fans.”

[/quote]

The legend. An all-time great performer and WWE Hall of Famer who brought his character to life and transcended our business.

My condolences to The Iron Sheik’s family, friends and fans.

— Triple H (@TripleH) June 7, 2023

[/quote]

RELATED: WWE Hall of Famer ‘Superstar’ Billy Graham Dies at 79, Wrestling Legends Pay Emotional Tribute

The Iron Sheik’s legacy will continue to inspire the next generation for years to come. Fitness Volt sends condolences to friends and family of The Iron Sheik during this time.

Published: 7 June, 2023 | 4:52 PM EDT

Click here to view the article.

Back