Advice needed about exercise equipment

colt77

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif, sans]Ihave exercised for a number of years, but never made the commitmentto purchase a membership to the gym or a piece of equipment I coulduse at home. I have counted mostly on exercises that I learned in themilitary and running on a regular basis to help maintain my weightand overall health. There are times that a run in the morning isfantastic, but there are other times of the year that exercisingoutside is a real struggle and pain. The summer months can beincredibly hot, and the winter months can be excruciatingly cold. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif, sans]Thespring and autumn months can be great for running and push-ups. Ilove the smell of the morning air, as well as the beauty of theplants. The spring is fantastic to see the new growth while I lovethe changing colors in the autumn. Regardless, this year has led meto a point that I want to change things around a bit. I intend onadding a variety of exercises to my routine, and I want to avoidhaving to count on great weather in order to keep a regular routine,as well. This has me considering a variety of different machines andequipment.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif, sans]Idon't always have the ability to go to the gym on a regular basis.Sometimes the demands on my time makes it so I have to get a quickworkout in before my day begins. Having equipment in my home seems tobe the best option for me. This would allow me to grab a quickworkout while also being able to avoid frigid mornings or scorchingheat. This has me hunting the internet for different options, and Iam blown away by the number of machines and equipment that isavailable on the market. There is a machine for every muscle groupand nearly any exercise one could possibly imagine or desire to do.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif, sans]Ibegan my hunt in the search engines and found a number of websitescovering anything I could think of. There is information on exerciseroutines, as well as the different pieces of equipment available. Asis typical for me I found myself on Wikipedia. I found this pageExercise equipment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediathat discusses fitness equipment in general, but has links to avariety of other pages that cover other aspects of exercise andworking out. Even Bow Flex has it's own page on the website whichwasn't particularly a surprise for me to discover. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif, sans]Icame across a ton of other websites, as well. I probably spent hourshunting for information about different options that are availablefor me to get a full workout by using equipment. The biggest problemI discovered is that most equipment seems to be focused on aparticular group of muscles or exercises. I don't have a ton of spaceso setting up an entire fitness center in my home just isn't afeasible idea for me. I also don't want to spend tens of thousands ofdollars on purchasing a number of pieces of equipment. I came across tons of website offering everything from information about weight loss and exercise to the actual equipment to accomplish the goal. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif, sans]Ifeel that my main focus will be on a piece of equipment that focuseson cardiovascular exercises instead of weights or building my muscle.My question is what the advantages, or disadvantages of the differentequipment could possibly be. There are bikes, treadmills, ellipticalmachines, home gyms, and various others. I know that each has its ownadvantages and disadvantages. For example treadmills are consideredto be harder on the joints than an elliptical machine. This is whereyou folks come in and hopefully help guide me in the right direction.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif, sans]Myfocus is to increase my stamina and energy levels. I don't care aboutbuilding muscle or anything like that, but I do want to help improvemy health while also helping to maintain my weight. What are themajor differences between the different machines I mentioned, andwhat recommendations would you offer for someone like myself who islooking to make my first purchase? I already run 2 or 3 miles a dayseveral times a week. Will any of these machines allow me to get thesame degree of workout, and possibly in less time? Are some machinesbetter for cardiovascular than others? Obviously some machines arebetter on my body than others, but what other major differences arethere between these different types of machines? I could use someguidance and advice in terms of which machines to look at and Iappreciate all of your help ahead of time.[/FONT]

Back