Iain Valliere To Improve Triceps for 2023 Mr. Olympia, Talks Big Ramy’s Future & Samson Dauda

Muscle Insider

Anticipation for the upcoming Mr. Olympia continues to build as fans await the contest in less than five months. In a recent Olympia TV interview, Bob Cicherillo and Iain Valliere discussed the Men’s Open division. During the video, Valliere said he doesn’t believe Mamdouh ‘Big Ramy’ Elssbiay will win back his Mr. Olympia title.

“It’s all a mind game when it gets to this level. If Iain brings his A-game there, he’ll be right back up there, no question about it,” said Bob Cicherillo.

Iain Valliere is one of the most popular bodybuilders from Canada. In a career lasting almost a decade, Valliere has shown great promise, courtesy of his exceptional conditioning and detailed back. He started the 2022 season with an impressive victory at the Vancouver Pro, where he defeated Antoine Vaillant for first. This earned him passage to the season’s biggest show of the year.

The 2022 Mr. Olympia lineup was strong as many debutants planned to make statements. New names on the stage such as Andrew Jacked, Michal Krizo, and Samson Dauda were all labeled dark hoses ahead of the show. And while Ramy dominated the landscape from 2020-2021, a new champion arrived last December to take his title away. Hadi Choopan won gold. Ramy placed fifth, a harsh drop from the year prior.

Without a qualification to 2023 Mr. Olympia, Valliere worked in the off-season to bring his best look to date. He mapped out improvements and detailed his shredding diet for the new season. He targeted this year’s Toronto Pro Supershow. At the event, he battled with Hassan Mostafa in what many fans described as a close contest. Nevertheless, Valliere presented some of his best conditioning and earned his invite.
Iain Valliere Plans to Improve Triceps for 2023 Olympia, Talks Big Ramy’s Future
According to Valliere, Big Ramy won’t win back his Mr. Olympia title but he still believes he can be competitive on other stages like the Arnold Classic.

“I don’t believe Ramy will win the Olympia again. Do I think Ramy has a career ahead of him making money and being a competitive pro bodybuilder? Absolutely. I don’t think you need to be winning the Mr. Olympia to get six-figure contracts or to be a competitive bodybuilder. He can still win shows. He can still do well at the Arnolds.

Like, he was still a top five guy at the Arnold he’s getting a good paycheck he’s still getting good contracts. And look: even when he was off he was still top five at the Olympia. That’s nothing to snuff at right? I still think Ramy is absolutely a top-tier bodybuilder and will continue to be for a few years. But do I think he’s going to win the Olympia again, I do not,” said Iain Valliere.

Admittedly, Valliere says expectations and new talent might have factored into his last Mr. Olympia performance.

“When you had two years of seventh prior, look, the Olympia linup last year was not the same as 2020 or 2021. It was absolutely improved, there was a lot of new guys there, Samson there, Andrew there, Derek in the mix now,” said Iain Valliere. “Obviously there probably was some looming fear in my head that, ‘Shit I’m going to slip places I’m going to slip places,’ and that was shown in my presentation,” explained Valliere.

Looking ahead, Valliere plans to focus on his triceps which he believes will improve at least two of his side poses.

“There are some things still that I think need to be improved here. I had a little bit of loss of volume on my triceps that I think hurt me in the side chest and the side tri that can definitely be improved from a little bit of a nagging elbow issue I was having on that side specifically which is I think going to be a lot better come the Olympia. If we make some small tweaks there, I’m very confident in my shot to be in that group at the Olympia, for sure,” added Valliere.

Valliere & Bob Cicherillo Talk Samson Dauda, Nick Walker, Hunter Labrada, and Derek Lunsford
In a recent HD Muscle YouTube video, Nick Walker said Samson Dauda’s back was ‘shit’ and ‘flat as a board.’ However, Valliere disagrees. He believes Dauda can establish himself as a true Mr. Olympia contender with improved conditioning, not just back improvements.

“I don’t think I agree with that,” Valliere said. “Samson is making show to show year to year, I don’t think that’s going to be the case for a long time. Even when you look from – bring the conditioning in a little bit more from the Olympia to the Arnold it did show his back a lot better. For a back to look good, your conditioning must be excellent.”

In Bob’s opinion, Dauda’s back isn’t flat and even if it was, Samson still defeated Walker at the Arnold.

“Listen, Nick is being Nick and I appreciate that because I love these guys especially him, he’s not shy about making comments. Listen, is he literally flat as a board? No. And he better hope he’s not flat as a board because he beat him with that flat as a board back,” Cicherillo said.

Since Lunsford no longer abides by a weight restriction, Valliere suspects he’ll improve his conditioning and muscle density.

“In the case of Derek, I think him and Hany played his cards right for the Olympia but now as he gets more muscle maturity and more density to that muscle and he’s held on to it longer because he’s not pushing down to 212 and doing off-seasons, I think we’ll see that conditioning come up more and more and more,” Valliere said.

Lastly, Cicherillo offered Hunter Labrada some words of encouragement ahead of his latest Olympia campaign that starts with the 2023 Tampa Pro in August.

“He’s going to have his cut out for him. Hunter will have to be 100% and more importantly, Hunter has a habit of coming out – and he is just pouring water. He’s got to figure out notably, what he has to do to not be releasing so much water in that first round.”

This isn’t the first time Bob Cicherillo has taken a close look at the Men’s Open bodybuilders expected to compete in Nov. Following Dauda’s 2023 Arnold Classic victory, Bob labeled him alongside Lunsford as Choopan’s two biggest threats.

Big Ramy is also determined to become the only bodybuilder in the Open aside from Jay Cutler to win back an Olympia title. Despite recommendations from Bob and head judge Steve Weinberger to take a break, Ramy has made it clear he’s working ‘angry’ and harder than ever to bring his best physique possible later this year.

Given the number of potential contenders, 2023 Mr. Olympia is shaping up to be an unforgettable event. With his eyes on the first call-out, Iain Valliere plans to improve his triceps and sharpen his posing skills.

You can watch the full Olympia TV YouTube video below:

Find complete coverage of the 2022 Mr. Olympia, including pre-judging, event recaps, analysis, and final results at our Olympia coverage hub: FitnessVolt.com/olympia
Published: 29 June, 2023 | 5:48 PM EDT

Iain-talks-2023-Olympia.jpg
Anticipation for the upcoming Mr. Olympia continues to build as fans await the contest in less than five months. In a recent Olympia TV interview, Bob Cicherillo and Iain Valliere discussed the Men’s Open division. During the video, Valliere said he doesn’t believe Mamdouh ‘Big Ramy’ Elssbiay will win back his Mr. Olympia title.

“It’s all a mind game when it gets to this level. If Iain brings his A-game there, he’ll be right back up there, no question about it,” said Bob Cicherillo.

[/quote]
Iain Valliere is one of the most popular bodybuilders from Canada. In a career lasting almost a decade, Valliere has shown great promise, courtesy of his exceptional conditioning and detailed back. He started the 2022 season with an impressive victory at the Vancouver Pro, where he defeated Antoine Vaillant for first. This earned him passage to the season’s biggest show of the year.

The 2022 Mr. Olympia lineup was strong as many debutants planned to make statements. New names on the stage such as Andrew Jacked, Michal Krizo, and Samson Dauda were all labeled dark hoses ahead of the show. And while Ramy dominated the landscape from 2020-2021, a new champion arrived last December to take his title away. Hadi Choopan won gold. Ramy placed fifth, a harsh drop from the year prior.

Without a qualification to 2023 Mr. Olympia, Valliere worked in the off-season to bring his best look to date. He mapped out improvements and detailed his shredding diet for the new season. He targeted this year’s Toronto Pro Supershow. At the event, he battled with Hassan Mostafa in what many fans described as a close contest. Nevertheless, Valliere presented some of his best conditioning and earned his invite.
Iain Valliere Plans to Improve Triceps for 2023 Olympia, Talks Big Ramy’s Future
According to Valliere, Big Ramy won’t win back his Mr. Olympia title but he still believes he can be competitive on other stages like the Arnold Classic.

“I don’t believe Ramy will win the Olympia again. Do I think Ramy has a career ahead of him making money and being a competitive pro bodybuilder? Absolutely. I don’t think you need to be winning the Mr. Olympia to get six-figure contracts or to be a competitive bodybuilder. He can still win shows. He can still do well at the Arnolds.

Like, he was still a top five guy at the Arnold he’s getting a good paycheck he’s still getting good contracts. And look: even when he was off he was still top five at the Olympia. That’s nothing to snuff at right? I still think Ramy is absolutely a top-tier bodybuilder and will continue to be for a few years. But do I think he’s going to win the Olympia again, I do not,” said Iain Valliere.

[/quote]

Admittedly, Valliere says expectations and new talent might have factored into his last Mr. Olympia performance.

“When you had two years of seventh prior, look, the Olympia linup last year was not the same as 2020 or 2021. It was absolutely improved, there was a lot of new guys there, Samson there, Andrew there, Derek in the mix now,” said Iain Valliere. “Obviously there probably was some looming fear in my head that, ‘Shit I’m going to slip places I’m going to slip places,’ and that was shown in my presentation,” explained Valliere.

[/quote]
Looking ahead, Valliere plans to focus on his triceps which he believes will improve at least two of his side poses.

“There are some things still that I think need to be improved here. I had a little bit of loss of volume on my triceps that I think hurt me in the side chest and the side tri that can definitely be improved from a little bit of a nagging elbow issue I was having on that side specifically which is I think going to be a lot better come the Olympia. If we make some small tweaks there, I’m very confident in my shot to be in that group at the Olympia, for sure,” added Valliere.

[/quote]
Valliere & Bob Cicherillo Talk Samson Dauda, Nick Walker, Hunter Labrada, and Derek Lunsford
In a recent HD Muscle YouTube video, Nick Walker said Samson Dauda’s back was ‘shit’ and ‘flat as a board.’ However, Valliere disagrees. He believes Dauda can establish himself as a true Mr. Olympia contender with improved conditioning, not just back improvements.

“I don’t think I agree with that,” Valliere said. “Samson is making show to show year to year, I don’t think that’s going to be the case for a long time. Even when you look from – bring the conditioning in a little bit more from the Olympia to the Arnold it did show his back a lot better. For a back to look good, your conditioning must be excellent.”

[/quote]
In Bob’s opinion, Dauda’s back isn’t flat and even if it was, Samson still defeated Walker at the Arnold.

“Listen, Nick is being Nick and I appreciate that because I love these guys especially him, he’s not shy about making comments. Listen, is he literally flat as a board? No. And he better hope he’s not flat as a board because he beat him with that flat as a board back,” Cicherillo said.
[/quote]
Since Lunsford no longer abides by a weight restriction, Valliere suspects he’ll improve his conditioning and muscle density.

“In the case of Derek, I think him and Hany played his cards right for the Olympia but now as he gets more muscle maturity and more density to that muscle and he’s held on to it longer because he’s not pushing down to 212 and doing off-seasons, I think we’ll see that conditioning come up more and more and more,” Valliere said.

[/quote]
Lastly, Cicherillo offered Hunter Labrada some words of encouragement ahead of his latest Olympia campaign that starts with the 2023 Tampa Pro in August.

“He’s going to have his cut out for him. Hunter will have to be 100% and more importantly, Hunter has a habit of coming out – and he is just pouring water. He’s got to figure out notably, what he has to do to not be releasing so much water in that first round.”

[/quote]
This isn’t the first time Bob Cicherillo has taken a close look at the Men’s Open bodybuilders expected to compete in Nov. Following Dauda’s 2023 Arnold Classic victory, Bob labeled him alongside Lunsford as Choopan’s two biggest threats.

Big Ramy is also determined to become the only bodybuilder in the Open aside from Jay Cutler to win back an Olympia title. Despite recommendations from Bob and head judge Steve Weinberger to take a break, Ramy has made it clear he’s working ‘angry’ and harder than ever to bring his best physique possible later this year.

Given the number of potential contenders, 2023 Mr. Olympia is shaping up to be an unforgettable event. With his eyes on the first call-out, Iain Valliere plans to improve his triceps and sharpen his posing skills.

You can watch the full Olympia TV YouTube video below:

Find complete coverage of the 2022 Mr. Olympia, including pre-judging, event recaps, analysis, and final results at our Olympia coverage hub: FitnessVolt.com/olympia

Published: 29 June, 2023 | 5:48 PM EDT

Click here to view the article.

Back