8 Best Compact Treadmills of 2024

Muscle Insider

Many of the best treadmills on the market have a big footprint, making them unsuitable for those sweating in tight apartments or gyms. The good news is that bigger isn’t always better — there are plenty of compact treadmills available that can deliver a workout every bit as satisfying as a commercial model. Since we at BarBend know...
The post 8 Best Compact Treadmills of 2024 appeared first on BarBend.

Many of the best treadmills on the market have a big footprint, making them unsuitable for those sweating in tight apartments or gyms. The good news is that bigger isn’t always better — there are plenty of compact treadmills available that can deliver a workout every bit as satisfying as a commercial model. Since we at BarBend know what it’s like to have to make the most of your square footage, we sought to curate a list of the best compact treadmills to help you get closer to meeting your fitness goals.

Our team of fitness professionals has spent years testing more than 40 treadmills of all shapes, sizes, and price points. We took notes and rated each profile on a number of different factors — including how well it utilizes its footprint — and drew upon that data to help us narrow down the best space-saving treadmills for running, walking, sliding under a desk, and even saving a buck. Here are our picks for the best compact treadmills.

8 Best Compact Treadmills

How We Tested the Best Compact Treadmills

Our rockstar team of certified personal trainers, nutrition coaches, and CrossFit enthusiasts has spent years running, walking, sprinting, jogging, and hanging their clothes on more than 40 treadmills. Along the way, we asked questions like: How tight do the floor stabilizers need to be? and Is that cushioned deck actually cushioned?

Each category in our 13-point methodology is scored on a scale of 1 (lowest) to 5 (highest). From their adjustability and durability to tech capabilities and ease of assembly, we are familiar with these machines. Whether you are trying to add a few more steps to your count while standing at your desk, training for a half-marathon, or trying to build one of the best home gyms in your neighborhood, our team has the lowdown on the best compact treadmills available right now.

Best Overall Compact Treadmill: NordicTrack EXP 7i

NordicTrack EXP 7i Treadmill

nordictrack_coupon_10.27.23-275x275-1.png

NordicTrack EXP 7i Treadmill

This tread still goes all the way up to 12 percent incline and 12mph in speed, plus it comes with a free one-month iFit membership (a $39 value). The adjustable cushioning can also help lower the impact on your joints, or mimic the feel of a road race if you are training for something on rougher terrain.

Shop NordicTrack

Specs

• Price: $1,300

• Dimensions: 59.7” H x 70.8” L x 34.9” W

• Weight: 228lbs

• Max User Capacity: 300lbs

• Incline Range: 0%-12%

• Max Speed: 10mph

Pros

• Though compact, this NordicTrack treadmill has a swiveling 7-inch HD touchscreen and IFIT compatibility.

• Its hydraulic folding mechanism helps shrink its footprint when not in use.

• It has a 12 percent incline.

Cons

• We think the machine benefits from IFIT, which costs an additional $39 per month after your 30-day free trial.

• The 55-inch running deck might be too short for serious runners or tall users.

The NordicTrack EXP 7i was an easy choice for our best overall compact treadmill. Despite its small footprint — 70.8 inches long and 34.9 inches wide — it features a 7-inch swiveling display integrated with IFIT, a subscription-based app with over 16,000 live and on-demand classes. Other notable features include a 12 percent incline and built-in hydraulics to make lowering the heavy deck easier. “For anyone tight on space, the easy folding plus built-in wheels are super convenient,” Jake Herod, BarBend’s expert tester, said.

Like all of the best NordicTrack treadmills, the EXP 7i’s IFIT compatibility is a huge benefit, with our tester rating its dynamic programming a 5 out of 5. In addition to its massive library of classes, the app can automatically adjust the speed and incline during classes and scenic rides so you can focus on your sweat. “For just $1,300, this is as good as it gets for a built-in streaming platform like IFIT,” Herod explained. “Honestly, I think the EXP 7i feels like a luxury machine without the high-end price.”

nordictrack-exp-7i-walking-on-incline-1024x576-1.jpg
Our product tester using the incline on the NordicTrack EXP 7i.

Speaking of price, though, it’s worth noting that IFIT will run you $39 a month after the 30-day free trial that comes with your purchase.

Also, the treadmill’s compact size does have its disadvantages. Though our tester loved IFIT, they had to squint to see their stats on screen. “The 7-inch screen was way too small for me,” they said. Other NordicTrack models have displays that are three times the size, but a bigger display requires a bigger machine.

Also, the 2.6 continuous horsepower motor can help you reach speeds up to 10 miles per hour. While that may be enough for serious sprinters, it should be plenty for most runners. Herod also called out the 55-inch running deck. “I thought the deck was just a tiny bit small,” Herod said. “If you have a longer stride, you may look at another option in this range, like the 60-inch running deck on the Horizon 7.0 AT.”

Read our full NordicTrack EXP 7i Review.

Best Budget Compact Treadmill: Horizon T101

Horizon T101 Treadmill

Horizon-T101-BarBend-Coupon-275x275-1.png

Horizon T101 Treadmill

The T101 from Horizon has a solid mix of tech and running features. Whether you're looking for integrated bluetooth speakers, or a reliable motor to keep you moving, the T101 has something for everyone.

Shop Horizon

Specs

• Price: $699

• Dimensions: 57” H x 71” L x 34” W

• Weight: 180lbs

• Incline Range: 0%-10%

Pros

• At $699, it delivers top-notch features like a 10 percent incline and 300-pound weight capacity at roughly half the cost of many treadmills.

• With a 2.5 CHP motor, the maximum speed of 10 miles per hour should accommodate most users.

• Its built-in programming includes hill training, fat burn, and intervals.

Cons

• Serious runners may need a maximum speed higher than 10 miles per hour.

• The 55-inch running surface may not be long enough for taller runners.

For those looking for a sturdy, compact machine to help you burn calories, the Horizon T101 is a budget-friendly option with many of the features you’d find in a machine twice its $699 price. Among them? A cushioned deck, 10 percent incline, and Bluetooth speakers.

Our tester rated its footprint and portability a 4 out of 5, because at 71 inches in length and 34 inches in width, it’s up to 5 to 10 inches shorter and 1 to 2 inches less wide than the average treadmill. When folded upright, its length is reduced to 46 inches. “I thought it was so easy to move around because of the hydraulic folding system, plus the built-in wheels,” they said. “Compared to something like the 2019 NordicTrack 1750, this machine is not bulky at all.”

Compared to other treadmills in this price range — like the Sunny Health & Fitness SF-T4400 — the Horizon T101 has a few features that make it stand out. Our tester loved the quick-adjust rollers on the handles, which allow you to adjust speed and incline without letting go of the handrails. “I thought the rollers made it so much easier to adjust on the fly,” said our tester. “Plus, they were just kind of fun.” Our tester also noted its 55-inch belt deck is six inches longer than the SF-T4400, but still a bit small for taller runners. “Still,” they said, “if I’m choosing between the two, I’d go with the T101.”

horizon-t101-adjusting-incline-controls-1024x576-1.jpg
Adjusting the incline on the Horizon T101.

The 300-pound weight capacity is on par with many larger, higher-end machines, like the ProForm Pro 9000. That capacity is impressive for an 180-pound treadmill and our tester rated its durability 3.5 out of 5. The aluminum frame may not be as durable as the alloy steel construction you may find in more expensive treadmills like the NordicTrack 1250, but they didn’t notice any wobbling during use.

Its 2.5 continuous horsepower motor can reach speeds up to 10 miles per hour, which may not be fast enough for serious runners. Our tester, though, noted that this should be plenty for the average user. “10 miles per hour is close to sprinting for most people, so for someone just trying to do some simple cardio, it will be fine,” they said.

Read our full Horizon T101 Review.

Best Compact Treadmill for Running: ProForm Carbon TLX

Horizon 7.0 AT Treadmill

Horizon-7.0-AT-Treadmill-275x275-1.jpg

Horizon 7.0 AT Treadmill

The Horizon 7.0 AT Treadmill is a durable, low-cost option for anyone looking for a quality treadmill without overspending. It features a strong motor, a wide range of speed and incline settings, and a unique three-zone cushion system.

Shop Amazon

Specs

• Price: $999

• Dimensions: 59.1” H x 74.3” L x 35.1” W

• Weight: 249lbs

• Incline Range: 0%-12%

Pros

• The cushioned 60-inch deck and powerful 3.0 CHP motor should be enough size and power to accommodate most runners.

• IFIT integration is included, so you can take advantage of over 16,000 live and on-demand classes with a monthly subscription.

• Stream IFIT workouts on the 7-inch high-contrast display.

Cons

• Because of its standard-length 60-inch running deck, it has a larger footprint than other treadmills in this range, like the NordicTrack EXP 7i.

• Without a monthly subscription to IFIT, you won’t get the most out of it.

• It features a 12% incline, but no decline capability.

It can be tough for runners to find a compact treadmill, as many space-saving machines have decks between 50 and 55 inches, which can impact the length of one’s stride. The ProForm Carbon TLX measures just 74.3 inches in length — still 5 to 6 inches shorter than the average treadmill — but offers a 60-inch running surface, which should accommodate long strides during sprints. Five inches can make a huge difference.

Whether you’re training for a marathon or just want to begin a cardio routine, the 3.0 continuous horsepower motor is robust enough to handle daily runs, walks, and sprints. We also liked the belt’s ProShox cushioning, which prompted a 4 out of 5 rating from our tester for adjustability and ergonomics.

We do, however, wish the 1.9-inch rollers were a bit larger. “The size of the rollers in any treadmill determine how fast they spin to keep up with the motor,” said Jake Herod, BarBend’s expert tester. “For really serious runners, I’d like to see rollers of at least 2.25 inches to avoid some long-term wear and tear.”

Runners, though, will find plenty of variety thanks to the bike’s compatibility with IFIT, a fitness app with more than 16,000 cardio, strength, and mobility classes. “I would put IFIT programming up against any competitor, including Peloton,” said our tester. They rated the dynamic programming 5 out of 5, saying, “I felt like it added another dimension to my workouts.”

After the free 30-day trial that comes with your purchase, a monthly subscription to IFIT will run you $39 per month. We’d recommend it, as our tester said “the machine would be pretty underwhelming” without it. With it, though, the ProForm Carbon TLX is a compact, efficient vessel for supporting you across thousands of different cardio classes.

Best Compact Treadmill for Walking: Echelon Stride-6

Echelon Stride-6 Treadmill

Echelon-Stride-Coupon-275x275-1.png

Echelon Stride-6 Treadmill

This tread folds flat to just 10 inches tall. Its max speed is 12mph, and you get a free 30-day Echelon Premier membership with your purchase, which provides access to over 3,000 live and on-demand classes.

Shop Echelon

Specs

• Price: $1,980

• Dimensions: 57” H x 64.8” L x 32.4” W

• Weight: Not disclosed

• Incline Range: 12 levels

• Max Speed: 12.4mph

Pros

• It has 12 levels of incline, providing plenty of challenge for walkers.

• Echelon’s patented Auto-Fold technology helps to fold the machine flat. It also features horizontal and vertical transport wheels.

• It has a cushioned and spacious 60-inch belt deck.

Cons

• It has an extra-large device holder, but no proper display.

• It includes just a 1-year warranty for non-Echelon Premier Members.

Walking is a viable form of exercise, especially when you’re strolling up a steep hill. We think the Echelon Stride-6 is the best compact treadmill for walking because of its 12-level incline range, which should provide plenty of challenge for those who enjoy a leisurely sweat. As you increase the incline with the quick-adjust scrolling wheels in the handrails, you can target muscles like the glutes that may not work as hard when walking on level ground.

The Stride-6 also offers something others in this price range — like the NordicTrack EXP 7i or ProForm Carbon TLX — don’t. “I think the ability to fold completely flat is a huge feature on this and other Echelon models,” our tester, a certified personal trainer and USA Weightlifting Level-1 coach, highlighted. “It could be stashed in a corner of an apartment or even tucked under a bed.” Taking into account the tread’s horizontal and vertical transport wheels, they rated the footprint and portability of the similarly-compact Echelon Stride a 5 out of 5.

Speaking of the Stride, our tester noted Echelon’s commitment to stability. “Even at higher speeds, my older model hardly shakes,” they pointed out. “At slower speeds, I thought it was super stable.”

If you do see yourself picking up the pace, the Stride-6 also has you covered. The motor can deliver speeds up to 12.4 miles per hour, which is 2.4 miles per hour more than the average compact treadmill. It also has a roomy 60-inch running deck, which should allow plenty of room for those with longer strides. We rated its predecessor, which has similar features, a 5 out of 5 in terms of ergonomics.

We do, however, wish the treadmill had a display of its own instead of just a device holder. Also, the treadmill comes with an unimpressive 1-year warranty. To get a 5-year warranty, you have to subscribe to the Echelon Premier app for an added $39.99 a month.

Best Under-Desk Compact Treadmill: UREVO 2-in-1 Under-Desk Treadmill

UREVO 2-in-1 Under Desk Treadmill

urevo-under-desk-treadmill-walking-pad-275x275-1.png

Click here to view the article.

Back