Dana Linn Bailey Discusses Steroids and Potential Comeback: “Maybe Just One More”

Muscle Insider

Dana Linn Bailey continues to flirt with the idea of a potential comeback. In a recent Muscular Development interview, Bailey teased a return and defended her position as a lifetime natural athlete who has never touched steroids.

“I love training. I love volume. So, yeah, those lateral raise sets where I’m doing like 40 reps. People are like what… I think if I even touched a little bit of drugs, I would have been on the same stage as Iris Kyle the way I train,” Dana Linn Bailey shared.

Bailey faced many obstacles on her way to finding success in the IFBB Pro League. However, she never gave up on her dreams and in 2013, reached the height of her career after winning the inaugural Women’s Physique Olympia title. Even though she surrendered gold a year later, she remains a trailblazer in the division – and has yet to officially retire.
Having stepped away from the bright lights, Bailey grew her legacy online with platforms like YouTube and Instagram, where she routinely influences millions of followers. She is known for her strenuous and rapid workout intensity. This was on full display in sessions with top names in the sport such as coach and FST-7 training founder Hany Rambod and four-time Mr. Olympia Jay Cutler.

In a recent Cutler Cast Podcast, Dana shared that she was a lifetime natural athlete, devoid of all performance-enhancing drugs. At the time, Bailey said if she chose to compete again, she’d volunteer for weekly blood tests leading up to the competition. Given her ability to stay shredded year-round, fans are convinced Bailey could shock the world if she mounted a comeback.

According to Dana Linn Bailey, she never used the word retirement after she stopped competing.

“You know, that’s why I’ve never said the retired word. Because there’s a silly part of me – because I do look at myself now – fu** man, you’re in better shape now than you’ve ever been. I would love to see what I look like because I have – I’m going to be 40 in a couple of weeks. I’m an ’83 so I’m going to be 40. The kids on stage now are in their 20s. There’s a silly little thing in my head that’s like maybe just one more. So I’ve just never said anything.”

Bailey said she’s not lying about being natural despite the differing opinions of fans online. She added that she’d never look like reigning Women’s Physique Olympia Natalia Coelho or Sarah Villegas if she eventually returned. And if a comeback was in the cards, Dana said she would need at least a 30-week camp to develop her legs without steroids.
“It used to affect me I used to get really upset. I just – because I’m not lying. I’m just being honest. People would literally get hate me. Then, throw me everywhere, I’m lying, I’m a fake natty, this and that. It used to really bother me. Then I switched, and it’s like you know, I must be doing something right obviously.”
“No, no one reached out [Masters Olympia]. I heard about it but for me to prep I need like 30-something weeks to prep for a show. Yeah, 30 weeks. Dude, yeah. 30 weeks out,” said Lin Bailey. “For me to get my legs out, yeah I need time. We can talk about the natural not natural, I’ve been competing natural my entire life. So for me to get my legs to come out, it takes like 25 weeks.”
“There’s no way I would look like that [Sarah Villegas and Natalia Coelho]. I’m also very realistic with myself. I’m not crazy. I understand: there’s a part of me that would just love to go up there and not freakin’ care and I would be the smallest, may not be the most shredded but I would love to see what I could do.”
Even though Dana doesn’t use steroids, she understands why men do. In addition, she shared that very few men can keep up with her training intensity but Kai Greene was one of them.
“I’ve trained with some of the top bodybuilders in the world. Jose Raymond, he quit on me halfway through. The only one that like – it’s not even that he trains at my intensity like Kai trains for a very long time. He’s probably the one person that can, ‘Cool, this guy can hang with me.’ But no other, especially no other dude has hung with me. Generally, girls can hang because we just have more endurance.”
“I don’t care if guys do it. It works with your bodies. I want to see the freaks, I want to see Kai Greenes and Ronnie Colemans,” added Bailey.
Linn Bailey Reflects on the Evolution of Women’s Physique Class and Winning 2013 Olympia

At first, Bailey was afraid of losing on the Olympia stage because she thought fans would no longer follow her. However, after losing in 2014, she said her following stuck around.
“Obviously once you go pro, you kind of space things out. But, yeah, won the first Olympia, got second at the second Olympia. I tell people this all the time, getting second place was probably one of the best things that ever happened. It sounds weird obviously. I love winning. Being first was awesome. It was really cool. But there was so much pressure – unneeded pressure that I put on myself.
And when I got second, I will say I looked better the second year. I’m just saying, I looked better. Just saying. I looked better the second year and got second but that’s fine. Afterward, I thought everything was over. I thought my whole world was going to fall apart. Still second place, I just thought, ‘Okay, everyone is going to go follow that one person now. I thought everything revolved around being on stage and winning,” said Dana Linn Bailey.
“I think I had a very strong head on my shoulders. I never did anything weird. I never – my diet was actually very very healthy. I did everything super healthy but there was a little bit of crazy.”
Dana announced a recent fitness challenge she’s aiming to complete in the coming months, titled the ‘Summer shredded 4.0 body transformation challenge.’ She invited her fans to tag along while she aims to add muscle and lean down at the same time.
The Women’s Physique division has evolved significantly since Bailey’s reign. She remains undecided about a comeback but still hasn’t completely abandoned the idea of gracing the Olympia stage one more time.
RELATED: Video: Bodybuilder Dana Linn Bailey Goes Through A Gains Unlocking Push Day Workout
You can watch the full video from the Muscular Development YouTube channel below:

Published: 20 June, 2023 | 12:12 PM EDT

Dana-Linn.jpg
Dana Linn Bailey continues to flirt with the idea of a potential comeback. In a recent Muscular Development interview, Bailey teased a return and defended her position as a lifetime natural athlete who has never touched steroids.

“I love training. I love volume. So, yeah, those lateral raise sets where I’m doing like 40 reps. People are like what… I think if I even touched a little bit of drugs, I would have been on the same stage as Iris Kyle the way I train,” Dana Linn Bailey shared.

[/quote]
Bailey faced many obstacles on her way to finding success in the IFBB Pro League. However, she never gave up on her dreams and in 2013, reached the height of her career after winning the inaugural Women’s Physique Olympia title. Even though she surrendered gold a year later, she remains a trailblazer in the division – and has yet to officially retire.

Having stepped away from the bright lights, Bailey grew her legacy online with platforms like YouTube and Instagram, where she routinely influences millions of followers. She is known for her strenuous and rapid workout intensity. This was on full display in sessions with top names in the sport such as coach and FST-7 training founder Hany Rambod and four-time Mr. Olympia Jay Cutler.

In a recent Cutler Cast Podcast, Dana shared that she was a lifetime natural athlete, devoid of all performance-enhancing drugs. At the time, Bailey said if she chose to compete again, she’d volunteer for weekly blood tests leading up to the competition. Given her ability to stay shredded year-round, fans are convinced Bailey could shock the world if she mounted a comeback.

According to Dana Linn Bailey, she never used the word retirement after she stopped competing.

“You know, that’s why I’ve never said the retired word. Because there’s a silly part of me – because I do look at myself now – fu** man, you’re in better shape now than you’ve ever been. I would love to see what I look like because I have – I’m going to be 40 in a couple of weeks. I’m an ’83 so I’m going to be 40. The kids on stage now are in their 20s. There’s a silly little thing in my head that’s like maybe just one more. So I’ve just never said anything.”

[/quote]
Bailey said she’s not lying about being natural despite the differing opinions of fans online. She added that she’d never look like reigning Women’s Physique Olympia Natalia Coelho or Sarah Villegas if she eventually returned. And if a comeback was in the cards, Dana said she would need at least a 30-week camp to develop her legs without steroids.

“It used to affect me I used to get really upset. I just – because I’m not lying. I’m just being honest. People would literally get hate me. Then, throw me everywhere, I’m lying, I’m a fake natty, this and that. It used to really bother me. Then I switched, and it’s like you know, I must be doing something right obviously.”

“No, no one reached out [Masters Olympia]. I heard about it but for me to prep I need like 30-something weeks to prep for a show. Yeah, 30 weeks. Dude, yeah. 30 weeks out,” said Lin Bailey. “For me to get my legs out, yeah I need time. We can talk about the natural not natural, I’ve been competing natural my entire life. So for me to get my legs to come out, it takes like 25 weeks.”

“There’s no way I would look like that [Sarah Villegas and Natalia Coelho]. I’m also very realistic with myself. I’m not crazy. I understand: there’s a part of me that would just love to go up there and not freakin’ care and I would be the smallest, may not be the most shredded but I would love to see what I could do.”

[/quote]
Even though Dana doesn’t use steroids, she understands why men do. In addition, she shared that very few men can keep up with her training intensity but Kai Greene was one of them.

“I’ve trained with some of the top bodybuilders in the world. Jose Raymond, he quit on me halfway through. The only one that like – it’s not even that he trains at my intensity like Kai trains for a very long time. He’s probably the one person that can, ‘Cool, this guy can hang with me.’ But no other, especially no other dude has hung with me. Generally, girls can hang because we just have more endurance.”

“I don’t care if guys do it. It works with your bodies. I want to see the freaks, I want to see Kai Greenes and Ronnie Colemans,” added Bailey.

[/quote]
Linn Bailey Reflects on the Evolution of Women’s Physique Class and Winning 2013 Olympia

At first, Bailey was afraid of losing on the Olympia stage because she thought fans would no longer follow her. However, after losing in 2014, she said her following stuck around.

“Obviously once you go pro, you kind of space things out. But, yeah, won the first Olympia, got second at the second Olympia. I tell people this all the time, getting second place was probably one of the best things that ever happened. It sounds weird obviously. I love winning. Being first was awesome. It was really cool. But there was so much pressure – unneeded pressure that I put on myself.

And when I got second, I will say I looked better the second year. I’m just saying, I looked better. Just saying. I looked better the second year and got second but that’s fine. Afterward, I thought everything was over. I thought my whole world was going to fall apart. Still second place, I just thought, ‘Okay, everyone is going to go follow that one person now. I thought everything revolved around being on stage and winning,” said Dana Linn Bailey.

“I think I had a very strong head on my shoulders. I never did anything weird. I never – my diet was actually very very healthy. I did everything super healthy but there was a little bit of crazy.”

[/quote]
Dana announced a recent fitness challenge she’s aiming to complete in the coming months, titled the ‘Summer shredded 4.0 body transformation challenge.’ She invited her fans to tag along while she aims to add muscle and lean down at the same time.

The Women’s Physique division has evolved significantly since Bailey’s reign. She remains undecided about a comeback but still hasn’t completely abandoned the idea of gracing the Olympia stage one more time.

RELATED: Video: Bodybuilder Dana Linn Bailey Goes Through A Gains Unlocking Push Day Workout

You can watch the full video from the Muscular Development YouTube channel below:

Published: 20 June, 2023 | 12:12 PM EDT

Click here to view the article.

Back