Flex Lewis Takes Strongman Mitchell Hooper Through Insane Shoulder Workout for Max Gains

Muscle Insider

Despite his retirement from bodybuilding, Flex Lewis‘ love for the sport is undeniable anytime he’s inside his home gym, The Dragon’s Lair. In a recent bodybuilding/strongman collaboration, Lewis led the reigning World’s Strongest Man Mitchell Hooper through a challenging shoulders training session.
Lewis is a decorated IFBB Pro and the most successful 212 Bodybuilding athlete of all time. From 2012-2018, ‘The Welsh Dragon’ dominated his class at the prestigious Mr. Olympia competition. During his tenure, Lewis managed to defeat Hadi Choopan (current Mr. Olympia), Derek Lunsford, Shaun Clarida (current two-time 212 Olympia), and other veterans en route to building his legacy.
Last May, Lewis decided to retire. The decision was difficult for Lewis to accept considering he had been teasing a move into the Men’s Open division for some time. Instead, Derek Lunsford received a special invite last year, which he cashed in to take second place in his Open debut on the Olympia stage.

In the strongman world, Mitchell Hooper reigns supreme. Hooper won 2023 Arnold Strongman gold in March. Riding high, he took that momentum to the crown jewel of strongman competitions – The World’s Strongest Man. At the event in April, Hooper won first and defeated Tom Stoltman and Oleksii Novikov in an exciting battle. Currently, Hooper is in preparations to compete at the upcoming 2023 Shaw Classic, taking place Aug. 19-20.
This isn’t his first interaction with Flex Lewis either. Hooper joined Lewis for a deep Straight Outta the Lair Podcast earlier this month. Hooper was candid and spoke honestly about mental health. Switching gears, Lewis gave Hooper a look into the bodybuilding world with a brutal workout.
Flex Lewis Puts Strongman Mitchell Hooper Through Shoulder-Blasting Workout
Find a list of the exercises used by Lewis and Hooper below:

Standing Lateral Raise machine (dropset to failure)
Seated Shoulder Press Machine (2 sets to failure)
Forward Lean Pec Deck Fly (superset/ with Reverse Pec Fly)

For machine standing lateral raises, Lewis said ‘spike at the top’ of the movement and prioritize control. He shared that bodybuilding legend Dorian Yates taught him that neglecting the negative is one of the biggest mistakes lifers make.
“Spike at the top, there we go. It feels like you’re driving through. There’s somebody inside that shoulder that’s trying to fucking punch through. That’s the connection at the top. Yes, control,” Flex Lewis explained.
“No [these are not working sets]. A lot of guys in general when they come to the gym it’s not me saying anything about, we’re talking about generalizations of guys that want to progress in bodybuilding. Almost always, they neglect the negative. There’s zero control. Dorian Yates told me that is going to be one of your best friends. Control the negative. You’re truly fighting that negative mindset of zoning out. In this case, sideways, up, hold, control, 3, 2, 1, up.”
Lewis believes ‘fighting the negative’ is essential to unlocking shoulder gains.
“I’m zoned out completely and truly fighting the whole negative and I can feel everything fighting themselves, every little muscle tissue,” added Lewis. “Let’s do a little drop set, we’ll do 200, down to 140, down to 100 [pounds].”
On the seated shoulder press machine, Hooper was impressed with Lewis’ endurance and strength. He believes strongmen can ‘take a page’ from bodybuilders inside the gym.
“You guys [bodybuilders] when you take everything and make it strict. You would beat us [strongmen] in a lot of things. That would beat anyone in strongman but if you took it and put it to a log where you actually use your body to drive,” said Mitchell Hooper. “There’s a page we can take from your guys’ book though. If you get that strong training bodybuilding. You train bodybuilding as a 10-15% of your workout, there’s good evidence to say that muscle thickness is just going to win at a certain stage.”
“I was going to help you, but he didn’t fucking help me so I thought fuck this guy. What I find is what a lot of people do especially with rear delts, they will put an ungodly amount of weight on and everything just goes to shit. You’ll see there’s no correct form. Everything is not fluent,” said Lewis.

Lewis and Hooper finished with a forward lean pec deck fly before calling it a day. Hooper was toasted after the workout and impressed with the pump.

“For us bodybuilders when we are doing a back double biceps, this is what’s going to be lighting up every last separation. Superset. Killer,” said Lewis. “Squeeze the front delts and drive, and squeeze.”
“It’s amazing how you lean into and there’s no chest at all,” said Hooper.
“You feel it in the front delts?” asks Lewis.
“Yeah, it’s lighting up,” responded Hooper. “I’m burnt.”

Hooper isn’t resting on his laurels despite having nailed down two of the most prestigious titles in strongman. He continues to showcase his strength in preparation for the Shaw Classic. The last time fans saw him in action, Hooper turned heads with a 463-pound bench press for a three-rep personal record.
Even outside of strongman, the wins for Hooper keep stacking up. Months ago, he broke Tom Platz’s legendary 1992 squat-off record, which stood at 525 pounds for 23 reps. Hooper surpassed him by one rep for a total of 24.
This wasn’t the first bodybuilding/strongman workout collaboration. Last year, Men’s Open talent Nathan De Asha joined former WSM champs/brothers Tom and Luke Stoltman for a special training session. In addition, Flex Lewis teamed up with Eddie ‘The Beast’ Hall for an arms workout. Hall is currently in preparation for his move to bodybuilding in the Classic Physique division. He’s shared physique updates ahead of his anticipated debut.
While bodybuilding training differs from strongman training, Hooper was blown away by the intensity of Lewis’ workout in the end.
RELATED: A Look into World’s Strongest Man Mitchell Hooper’s Day
You can watch the full video from Mitchel Hooper’s YouTube channel below:

Published: 14 July, 2023 | 11:08 AM EDT

Flex-Lewis-Trains-Mitchell-Hooper.jpg
Despite his retirement from bodybuilding, Flex Lewis‘ love for the sport is undeniable anytime he’s inside his home gym, The Dragon’s Lair. In a recent bodybuilding/strongman collaboration, Lewis led the reigning World’s Strongest Man Mitchell Hooper through a challenging shoulders training session.

Lewis is a decorated IFBB Pro and the most successful 212 Bodybuilding athlete of all time. From 2012-2018, ‘The Welsh Dragon’ dominated his class at the prestigious Mr. Olympia competition. During his tenure, Lewis managed to defeat Hadi Choopan (current Mr. Olympia), Derek Lunsford, Shaun Clarida (current two-time 212 Olympia), and other veterans en route to building his legacy.

Last May, Lewis decided to retire. The decision was difficult for Lewis to accept considering he had been teasing a move into the Men’s Open division for some time. Instead, Derek Lunsford received a special invite last year, which he cashed in to take second place in his Open debut on the Olympia stage.

In the strongman world, Mitchell Hooper reigns supreme. Hooper won 2023 Arnold Strongman gold in March. Riding high, he took that momentum to the crown jewel of strongman competitions – The World’s Strongest Man. At the event in April, Hooper won first and defeated Tom Stoltman and Oleksii Novikov in an exciting battle. Currently, Hooper is in preparations to compete at the upcoming 2023 Shaw Classic, taking place Aug. 19-20.

This isn’t his first interaction with Flex Lewis either. Hooper joined Lewis for a deep Straight Outta the Lair Podcast earlier this month. Hooper was candid and spoke honestly about mental health. Switching gears, Lewis gave Hooper a look into the bodybuilding world with a brutal workout.

Flex Lewis Puts Strongman Mitchell Hooper Through Shoulder-Blasting Workout
Find a list of the exercises used by Lewis and Hooper below:

• Standing Lateral Raise machine (dropset to failure)
  • Seated Shoulder Press Machine (2 sets to failure)
  • Forward Lean Pec Deck Fly (superset/ with Reverse Pec Fly)
For machine standing lateral raises, Lewis said ‘spike at the top’ of the movement and prioritize control. He shared that bodybuilding legend Dorian Yates taught him that neglecting the negative is one of the biggest mistakes lifers make.

“Spike at the top, there we go. It feels like you’re driving through. There’s somebody inside that shoulder that’s trying to fucking punch through. That’s the connection at the top. Yes, control,” Flex Lewis explained.

“No [these are not working sets]. A lot of guys in general when they come to the gym it’s not me saying anything about, we’re talking about generalizations of guys that want to progress in bodybuilding. Almost always, they neglect the negative. There’s zero control. Dorian Yates told me that is going to be one of your best friends. Control the negative. You’re truly fighting that negative mindset of zoning out. In this case, sideways, up, hold, control, 3, 2, 1, up.”

[/quote]
Lewis believes ‘fighting the negative’ is essential to unlocking shoulder gains.

“I’m zoned out completely and truly fighting the whole negative and I can feel everything fighting themselves, every little muscle tissue,” added Lewis. “Let’s do a little drop set, we’ll do 200, down to 140, down to 100 [pounds].”

[/quote]
On the seated shoulder press machine, Hooper was impressed with Lewis’ endurance and strength. He believes strongmen can ‘take a page’ from bodybuilders inside the gym.

“You guys [bodybuilders] when you take everything and make it strict. You would beat us [strongmen] in a lot of things. That would beat anyone in strongman but if you took it and put it to a log where you actually use your body to drive,” said Mitchell Hooper. “There’s a page we can take from your guys’ book though. If you get that strong training bodybuilding. You train bodybuilding as a 10-15% of your workout, there’s good evidence to say that muscle thickness is just going to win at a certain stage.”

“I was going to help you, but he didn’t fucking help me so I thought fuck this guy. What I find is what a lot of people do especially with rear delts, they will put an ungodly amount of weight on and everything just goes to shit. You’ll see there’s no correct form. Everything is not fluent,” said Lewis.

[/quote]

Lewis and Hooper finished with a forward lean pec deck fly before calling it a day. Hooper was toasted after the workout and impressed with the pump.

“For us bodybuilders when we are doing a back double biceps, this is what’s going to be lighting up every last separation. Superset. Killer,” said Lewis. “Squeeze the front delts and drive, and squeeze.”

“It’s amazing how you lean into and there’s no chest at all,” said Hooper.

“You feel it in the front delts?” asks Lewis.

“Yeah, it’s lighting up,” responded Hooper. “I’m burnt.”

[/quote]
Hooper isn’t resting on his laurels despite having nailed down two of the most prestigious titles in strongman. He continues to showcase his strength in preparation for the Shaw Classic. The last time fans saw him in action, Hooper turned heads with a 463-pound bench press for a three-rep personal record.

Even outside of strongman, the wins for Hooper keep stacking up. Months ago, he broke Tom Platz’s legendary 1992 squat-off record, which stood at 525 pounds for 23 reps. Hooper surpassed him by one rep for a total of 24.

This wasn’t the first bodybuilding/strongman workout collaboration. Last year, Men’s Open talent Nathan De Asha joined former WSM champs/brothers Tom and Luke Stoltman for a special training session. In addition, Flex Lewis teamed up with Eddie ‘The Beast’ Hall for an arms workout. Hall is currently in preparation for his move to bodybuilding in the Classic Physique division. He’s shared physique updates ahead of his anticipated debut.

While bodybuilding training differs from strongman training, Hooper was blown away by the intensity of Lewis’ workout in the end.

RELATED: A Look into World’s Strongest Man Mitchell Hooper’s Day

You can watch the full video from Mitchel Hooper’s YouTube channel below:

Published: 14 July, 2023 | 11:08 AM EDT

Click here to view the article.

Back