Gotu Kola Review: Uses, Benefits, Effects

Muscle Insider

Medical research has being carried out for thousands of years now.

And as the use of nootropics has significantly grown in recent years, there is more dedicated attention given to developing more efficient nootropics, and Gotu Kola is one such natural supplement cum nootropic that we are discussing today.

Gotu Kola pegged as “the herb of longevity” is a nootropic that helps heal wounds, improve cognition, and lower blood pressure.

However, don’t let its name fool you. No, it has nothing to do with Cola as we think of it.

The occurrence of Alzheimer’s has become more common among the elderly, and there is currently no treatment, nevertheless, studies have shown that Gotu Kola might be beneficial in treating Alzheimer’s.

Keep reading till the end as I will make sure to include everything related to Gotu kola, such as any possible research-backed advantages as well as any potential side effects.

What is Gotu Kola? Gotu Kola, or Centella asiatica is a plant that has been traditionally used in Chinese and Indonesian medicine for centuries (1). It is native to Southeast Asia’s marshes, where it is ingested as a juice, tea, or supplement.

Gotu Kola’s leaves are fan-shaped, resembling the two hemispheres of the brain, and its shape, ironically, complements what it does best: improve brain health.

Additionally, many people consume gotu kola for its anti-inflammatory properties as well as to improve overall mental health.

Infact, practitioners suggest that this medicinal plant may improve brain power, repair skin problems, and support liver and kidney health. It is often used for abdominal disorders, common cold/flu, fatigue, memory enhancer, varicose veins, and venous insufficiency.

An eye opening fact about Gotu Kola is that a legend, Li Ching-Yuen lived a life for more than 200 years as a result of taking gotu kola. Due to this, it got its name “the fountain of life.”

How does it work? Gotu kola contains certain chemicals that seem to decrease swelling and blood pressure. It also increases collagen production, which might be helpful for wound healing and may help prevent new stretch marks from forming (2).

Gotu kola stimulates the production of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), a protein that serves as a fertilizer for the brain, developing new brain cells.

Triterpenes, which are steroid precursors present in gotu kola, aid Alzheimer’s disease in two ways.

These chemicals prevent acetylcholine from being broken down.

They also inhibit the production of amyloid plaques, which build up in Alzheimer’s patients’ brains.

Now let’s look at the benefits that Gotu Kola has to offer.

Benefits of Gotu Kola: Helps heal wounds Gotu Kola has two specific chemicals in it—triterpenoids and saponins that help enhance the skin’s appearance and heal wounds.

Burns and psoriasis are only two of the things that we can use Gotu Kola for when it comes to improving your skin’s appearance or healing a wound.

Improves Cognition Although studies have shown little evidence that Gotu Kola improves cognition or memory to a great extent, Gotu Kola may monitor the activity of neurotransmitters known as gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA).

Moreover, increased blood flow allows in better oxygenation and circulation which results in better cognitive functions (3).

One study looked at the effects of Gotu Kola on mentally challenged youngsters. The children’s cognition and attentiveness improved significantly after receiving the herb every day for six months, according to the reevaluation.

Helps relieve anxiety Research indicates that this herb may decrease both the frequency and the severity of anxiety attacks. It can also be used as a supplement with medications to treat numerous neurological disorders and depression.

Increases Calmness Going hand-in-hand with anxiety relief, Gotu Kola, when taken on a daily basis, can also increase calmness. It acts to calm the body and mind by restoring proper nerve function.

Protects veins and blood vessels According to several types of research, Gotu kola can be used to treat varicose veins and venous insufficiency. It reduces swelling, enhances blood flow, and inhibits veins and blood vessels from leaking by nourishing their walls.

Other studies of the herb revealed less fluid leakage in people with varicose veins and less leg swelling in people who ingested Gotu before a flight.

Meditation requires that you be able to relax, and Gotu Kola can assist you in achieving that condition without—or with very few—distractions.

Boosts and rebuilds nervous system Gotu Kola not only heals the skin, but it also heals the nervous system by preventing nervous breakdowns, improving reflexes and rebuilding energy reserves so that the nervous system is energized.

Its adaptogenic character allows it to improve the body’s coping abilities, particularly how it handles stress and concern.

Also, axons, which are nerve fibers that send electrical impulses away from the brain, were repaired and restored in rats in a study.

Increases longevity Gotu Kola is known in Sri Lanka as “the booster of long life.” This is because it has the potential to improve longevity, and while this might be due to all of the previous benefits.

Actually, it’s two things rolled into one: Gotu Kola is both a diuretic and an anti-microbial.

It acts as a diuretic, causing the body to remove any extra elements such as salt, water, fat, and toxins through urination. This relieves renal strain and allows toxins to be removed quickly.

Its antimicrobial capabilities help treat parasites as well as bacterial, fungal, and viral diseases by weakening them, making them easier to fight off by your immune system.

While Gotu Kola will not protect you from dying in a car accident, it may help you live longer by assisting in the battle against certain illnesses.

Dosage Taking it as a supplement form is far easier and more convenient.

The usual dose is 60 milligrammes, taken two to three times each day. However,

the recommended dosage for anxiety relief is 500 mg twice a day.

Capsules, pills, and tinctures are all available as gotu kola supplements.

Infact, drinking three cups of gotu kola tea every day, according to the Mt. Sinai Health Library, can help with a number of health issues.

Side Effects Gotu Kola is usually safe as it’s been consumed as both food and tea by millions of people for thousands of years. However, high doses of Gotu Kola are known to cause these rare side effect:

• Skin allergy
  • Burning sensations
  • Headache
  • Stomach ache
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • Extreme drowsiness
User Reviews and Experiences It is always vital to learn about people’s personal experiences because it allows one to relate to the product and feel highly satisfied with it.

One of the Reddit users with the username Chutney1 says,

“I’m curious if anyone here is a fan of the 35-45% triterpene gotu kola extract.

This stuff is really interesting. With a LOT of chems and nootropics… Something about this one really stands out. You can mega dose it too, seemingly without consequence.”

Unruled77 says,

Seems subtle but helpful for my mood… I notice better skin and healing which I found to actually be studied benefits. Not expensive. Lots of potential benefits to gain, it seems, on paper.”

Felixyamson gave a comprehensive review saying,

“I purchased Gotu Kola in the form of encapsulated leaf and stem powder and each capsule contained 475 mg of the powder. I took 4 capsules and noticed that I felt pleasantly uplifted and relaxed about 20 minutes after consumption but that did not last very long. About an hour after taking them, I felt almost a slight body buzz sensation but not very strong, and also felt pretty relaxed.

80-90 minutes after consumption is when I would say the herb took full effect and I felt so deeply relaxed and peaceful that I enjoyed lying with my eyes closed for a while before drifting off to sleep. I was awoken by a phone call after having been asleep for probably no more than 15 minutes and awoke refreshed and not feeling groggy which is pleasantly unusual for me.

I felt quite peaceful after that and closer to the evening I took 1 capsule followed by 2 more about 2 hours later and by the time the later 2 kicked it I was feeling very good. The effects this time were actually quite a bit stronger in the bodily sensations they produced and although I felt pleasantly sedated, I did not feel tired, just very peaceful. This is one of the strongest herbs in terms of effects that I have experienced in some time.”

By reading these reviews, it’s quite evident that Gotu Kola helps keep the body healthy to a greater extent.

Where to Buy? Because it is a natural supplement, you may not be able to find it in a lot of online stores but I surfed the internet and found two on-top online vendors selling Gotu kola.

I would strongly recommend buying from any of the following vendors as both of the online vendors are on top of their game for sure!

Top Gotu Kola Supplement

Gotu KolaNootropics Depot offers Gotu Kola extract tablets at a price range of $24.99 to $39.99. Each serving constitutes 120mg which is enough for a day.

The two versions available at Nootropics depot are either 90ct or 180ct. Depending on how long you are planning to take the tablets, you can buy either the 90 servings bottle or the 180 one!

Not only this, Nootropics Depot also offers the powder form of the supplement. Gotu Kola powder is also available in multiple forms, including 15 grams and 30 grams. Note that the price range of Gotu kola powder is $24.99 to $39.99.

With same-day shipping and free shipping on orders above $200, Nootropic depot becomes one of the top choices to make your purchase from.

buy-gotu-kola-extract-tablets-capsules__86577.1655498396.jpg
[/i]Nootropics DepotNootropics have become increasingly popular over the years and it makes sense with our busy, stressful and sometimes competitive lifestyles. Nootropics can provide us with a range of benefits, however finding good quality products and a wide range of nootropics is not always easy.

Nootropics Depot specializes in…. (drumroll) Nootropics, yes you guessed right. They are an online vender based in Arizona that features a wide range of Nootropics as well as dietary supplements from leading manufacturers including, Nammex, Verdure Sciences, Embria Health Science and Ixoreal Biomed.

• Powder and tablets are both available
  • Same-day shipping
  • Positive customer reviews
  • Prices may be relatively high
BUY NOW Gotu Kola Powder

Gotu Kola Extract PowderGotu Kola extract powder by Liftmode will cost you anywhere around $12.68 to &19.68. The price value depends on whether you buy 2g or 5g of the compound.

Liftmode is one of the top brands and offers you Non-GMO products, vegan and gluten-free, HPLC lab-tested to establish the purity of the compound, and is free of any additives as well.

With free shipping on all US orders above $49, Gotu Kola extract powder by Liftmode is pretty much what you need.

Gotu-Kola-Extract-Powder-by-Liftmode.jpg
[/i]LiftmodeLiftmode is not your typical supplement retailer. They aim their product line at customers that are looking for a mental boost of sorts, that being said, they have a pretty wide variety of products.

They’re also pretty big on being scientifically accurate, meaning all of their content is researched and referenced.

Further from just providing quality products and good information, they are also determined to help you get your product without hassle, faster than just a few days!

• Multiple quantities available
  • Vegan product
  • Positive customer reviews
  • Capsules form not available
BUY NOW Is Gotu Kola Legit? Natural healers refer to Gotu Kola as the “Fountain of Life,” and with good cause. It aids in the healing of the body and nervous system, as well as reducing anxiety, increasing relaxation, and improving cognition and memory.

Gotu Kola can be consumed in a variety of ways, but the most convenient is to use a powder supplement that you can mix into your drink to make tea.

Gotu Kola is the “go-to” if you’re looking for brain-boosting properties. However, consult your doctor beforehand because, while it can be enhanced by combining it with other nootropic herbs like Ginkgo Biloba, it may interact negatively with certain drugs.

Frequently asked questions: What does Gotu Kola do for the brain? Gotu Kola can enhance your memory and overall cognitive function, which means it may have the potential in treating Alzheimer’s disease.

Can I take Gotu Kola daily? Gotu Kola extract has most typically been taken by adults in doses of 60-450 mg by mouth daily for 4-12 months. It’s also found in ointments, lotions, and gels. Consult a healthcare professional to determine the optimal product and dosage for a specific problem.

Does Gotu Kola increase serotonin? Triterpenes in Gotu kola have been related to elevated serotonin levels in the brain in rats.

Does Gotu Kola help hair growth? It’s used to make hair stronger and encourage hair development. It’s also known to have a lot of antioxidants in it.

Is Gotu Kola good for anxiety? The Gotu kola plant has been shown in studies to help relieve anxiety and tension, as well as depression.

Does Gotu Kola raise blood pressure? The effects of Gotu kola on mood, heart rate, and blood pressure were all insignificant.

Is Gotu Kola a stimulant? It is not a stimulant as unlike kola it does not have caffeine.

What vitamins are there in Gotu Kola? Alongside calcium, iron, and potassium, it contains vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin B2

Skip to Section

Click here to view the article.

Back