Help with bottle top filter!!

Pristi I told u wrong on the temp. I went back and looked at the spec sheet and it's 50 celsius ( 122f ). I always start at 115f but of coarse it will be a lot cooler by the time it finishes, depending on the total volume u are filtering.

With zapcaps you use the vacuum pressure to get them to hold. They are my favorite filters ever. Sometimes they will hold better when you put some oil in first then add vacuum pressure but they will hold at 25 no problem and you can re use them if wet you have to filter at or under 50°C. Every once in a while ill get one that's funny. So I will put the plastic piece in tight the tube connects to and put a thin strip of duct tape around the plastic piece to make a good deal there.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

With zapcaps you use the vacuum pressure to get them to hold. They are my favorite filters ever. Sometimes they will hold better when you put some oil in first then add vacuum pressure but they will hold at 25 no problem and you can re use them if wet you have to filter at or under 50°C. Every once in a while ill get one that's funny. So I will put the plastic piece in tight the tube connects to and put a thin strip of duct tape around the plastic piece to make a good deal there.

Shit dude, I couldn't seem to get any vacuum pressure. I set the 500ml zapcap on to of a 45mm glass hybex and I got no vacuum whatsoever. I made sure to pressure the nozzle in as tightly as is could. I don't see how air could escape from there at that point. I even used a latex glove and some duct tape to try and seal around the neck, but it made no difference. I added the oil too. I was frustrated as hell, because I just had an AutoFill filter the night before that did this also.

I threw the zapcap in the trash and switched over to my Nalgene and had no problem at all. Just curious how many times did you have to squeeze the hand pump to get vacuum pressure in the zapcap? Could it be that maybe I didn't pump it enough? I don't have a gauge on my hand pump so I don't really know, but I pumped that bitch about 15 times and got no vacuum.

The Nalgene I only needed to pump about 6 or 7 times to get it to start flowing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh yah, anyone ever had a syringe filter explode in their fucking face. THIS GUY did. Out of the 130ml's my nalegen made it to about the 80ml mark before it decided to stop filtering no matter how much vacuum pressure I gave it. I think I maxed that bitch out. So I switched over to a .45 Nalgene syringe filer. At first I was using a 20ml syringe but it went so slow it was nearly impossible to use so I put the filter on a 3cc syringe. It was filtering very nicely. I was literally only giving it like 50 percent pressure, really wasn't pressing that hard and all when all of a sudden the filter spit right and have and a giant cum shot of oil came straight up into my eye. IN MY DAMN EYE. the fuck. that shit burned like hell.

You know which part of homebrewing I'm the best at? Throwing shit away. lol okay I think I've got a better handle on it now using the Nalgene I just think i'll stick to that. Every other filter I've tried hasn't worked half a damn. then again hell, I cant' even get the Nalgene to filter all the way. I'm switching over to MCT oil and using a little thinner mixture this time.

You put the duct tape just around the plastic piece that connects to the filter and your tube. A very thing strip once pushed in tight the wrap the thin piece of duct tape around the side of the filter and the plastic valve just to make sure it's sealed tight. If you want u can put a small piece around the end of the tubing where it connects to the filter port as well. Put some oil in and hold down on the filter while adding the pressure. After it gets to 15 it should hold no problem. I crank them up to 25 they work so well but I have had an occasssional one that's a bit**, and first want to hold pressure for anything. But make sure you have a good 50 no liquid in or try with no liquid both methods work at different times. Most of the time they just work. I add an extra prefilter to collect the larger junk so the filter will lat linger but any other brand I've tried exploded or leaked out the sides at with the pressure only at 5 to 7. Smh. But with all zap caps I add a thin strip of duct tape around the outside of the connection for the pump. Make sure it has a nice tight seal. Usually in actually add two thin strips and the where the nozzle connects to the tubbing. But some you have to use a hand pump and just keep pumping. And it may get up to 20 or so then slowly or quickly drop. I've actually has to add weight to the top of the filter before as well its been years but I would take a heavy jar or something similar with some weigjt like a glass canning jar filled with spare change that sometimes puts enough weight on them to make it hold but you should have to but I have in the past just make sure it can't tip. I built a little wood stand the filter and bottle 45 top would fit in and add the weighed jar on top with little pieces on the corners that held it up then place against a wall or as close as you can get so it can't tip if putting weight on top or you can just set against the wall and microwave with something in from to make sure it can't tip. I don't know why they do this once in a while but that's maybe 1 of 50 for me that I have issues with but I always put tape on them. In the morning ill post a pic of one that I had an issue with and show u how I tape them.

^^^^ I told you about how easy it is to use a 3 ml syringe to filter with.

lol your right, that info helped quite a bit until it exploded. it's a huggeee difference though. I was surpsied at how much faster a 3ml could go than a 20ml. maybe that's why it exploded, i'm not sure. next time i'll just have to slow down a bit more. I got use to having to use all my force on the 20ml, then I switch over to the 3 and it doesn't need as much

- - - Updated - - -

You put the duct tape just around the plastic piece that connects to the filter and your tube. A very thing strip once pushed in tight the wrap the thin piece of duct tape around the side of the filter and the plastic valve just to make sure it's sealed tight. If you want u can put a small piece around the end of the tubing where it connects to the filter port as well. Put some oil in and hold down on the filter while adding the pressure. After it gets to 15 it should hold no problem. I crank them up to 25 they work so well but I have had an occasssional one that's a bit**, and first want to hold pressure for anything. But make sure you have a good 50 no liquid in or try with no liquid both methods work at different times. Most of the time they just work. I add an extra prefilter to collect the larger junk so the filter will lat linger but any other brand I've tried exploded or leaked out the sides at with the pressure only at 5 to 7. Smh. But with all zap caps I add a thin strip of duct tape around the outside of the connection for the pump. Make sure it has a nice tight seal. Usually in actually add two thin strips and the where the nozzle connects to the tubbing. But some you have to use a hand pump and just keep pumping. And it may get up to 20 or so then slowly or quickly drop. I've actually has to add weight to the top of the filter before as well its been years but I would take a heavy jar or something similar with some weigjt like a glass canning jar filled with spare change that sometimes puts enough weight on them to make it hold but you should have to but I have in the past just make sure it can't tip. I built a little wood stand the filter and bottle 45 top would fit in and add the weighed jar on top with little pieces on the corners that held it up then place against a wall or as close as you can get so it can't tip if putting weight on top or you can just set against the wall and microwave with something in from to make sure it can't tip. I don't know why they do this once in a while but that's maybe 1 of 50 for me that I have issues with but I always put tape on them. In the morning ill post a pic of one that I had an issue with and show u how I tape them.

thank you brother this was very helpful

Back