Morning Report: Fedor Emelianenko interested in rematch with Fabricio Werdum, Scott Coker supports it

9mm

MuscleChemistry MMA Site Representative
138_Fedor_Emelianenko.0.jpg
Esther Lin/MMAFighting.com Last month, former heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum competed for the final time in the UFC. Following his win over Alexander Gustafsson at UFC Fight Island 3, Werdum is now a free agent and has made it clear he will not be re-signing with the promotion where he became champion. But just because he’s leaving the UFC does not mean he will lack for big fights. In fact, there is a huge-named opponent waiting for him in Bellator: former foe Fedor Emelianenko.
Werdum is the man who broke Fedor’s stranglehold on the heavyweight division, submitting “The Last Emperor” with a triangle armbar in Strikeforce in 2010. It was only the second loss of Fedor’s career, and the first true loss (his previous loss being a cut stoppage from an illegal strike). When Werdum declared his intent to leave the UFC, he mentioned a possible rematch with Emelianenko and nearly a decade later, Fedor would also like the opportunity to run it back.
“For myself, yes, I would like to fight him,” Emelianenko told MMAJunkie. “Whether that’s a fight fans are interested in seeing or Bellator is interested in putting on, I don’t know that.
Fortunately for Emelianenko, it seems that Bellator is interested in putting that fight together. Bellator CEO Scott Coker was the head of Strikeforce when the first matchup happened and has already made it clear he is interested in pursuing Werdum in free agency. So with that, and given all that Fedor has accomplished in the sport, Coker says that if that’s a fight Emelianenko wants, he will make it happen.
“I love Fabricio, and it’s something really that’s Fedor’s decision,” Coker said. “One of the things I’m going to talk to Fedor (about) tonight is, ‘Is this an important fight for you?’ Whatever he says, then we’ll go make it happen. If it’s an important fight to him, then we’ll probably put it together. If not, it doesn’t mean we won’t still pursue Fabricio.
“The fight with him and Fedor would be something that, if it was an important revenge-type scenario for Fedor in his mind and something that still eats at him every day, then it would be something we’d be interested in.”
So now it seems there is only one thing standing in the way: COVID-19. The coronavirus pandemic has played havoc with MMA scheduling this year, especially with the plans of Bellator and Emelianenko. Prior to the coronavirus outbreak, Bellator has been planning a retirement tour for Fedor, culminating in a final fight held in Russia. Those plans have been waylaid by the pandemic though and even as Bellator begins to host events again, Coker is still reticent to move forward with Fedor fights in the absence of fans.
“(The plans) haven’t changed,” Coker said. “It’s just now we have a little beat now because of the COVID situation. We’re going to see how it goes because Europe has started to open up where you can actually have some fans. The numbers are way down, and they kind of have it under control a little bit better than we do.
“… But listen, Fedor has to fight in front of fans. I think that’s why you don’t see a lot of the MMA stars fighting now, because they need the fans there to support it. Fedor is the same way. He’s the greatest heavyweight of all time. For me, it would be a shame for him to fight in an arena where there’s nobody there to watch his last few fights. We’re going to play it by ear.”
That could be a sticking point for Emelianeko though. Fedor will turn 44 in September. and though he says he doesn’t currently feel a pressing need to fight soon, he also acknowledges that he’s no spring chicken anymore and that if the impediment is having fans in attendance, that shouldn’t prevent it from happening.
“I don’t necessarily feel a sense of urgency, but I also don’t want to wait too long, either,” Emelianenko said. “If there are no people in the audience then the TV audience is that much larger. It doesn’t take away from the fight. Eyeballs are still watching.”
Fedor and Coker are currently in Uncasville, CT for Bellator 244 which features Emelianenko’s protege, Vadim Nemkov, challenging Ryan Bader for the Bellator light heavyweight title.

[h=1]MUST-READ STORIES[/h]Last legs. Frankie Edgar: ‘I know a lot of people are questioning where I’m at in my career’.
Beef. Marlon Vera reveals what Sean O’Malley’s corner said at UFC 252, how he ‘broke’ prospect.
Mad. Sean O’Malley looking ahead after Marlon Vera loss: ‘I’m going to be world champion, he’s going to be a journeyman’.
Future. Patricio Pitbull believes Michael Chandler can ‘do some damage’ in the UFC, but expects ONE deal instead.
Decent. UFC 252 reportedly sells 500,000 pay-per-views worldwide.

[h=1]VIDEO STEW[/h]What the Heck.

The rise of Pedro Munhoz.

Bellator really moving in on some more promotional stuff.

UFC 253 getting heated.

Costa training.

[h=1]LISTEN UP[/h]Believe You Me. Michael Bisping interviews Anthony Smith and they discuss Jon Jones.
The MMA Vivisection. Breaking down the biggest fights at UFC Vegas 7.

[h=1]SOCIAL MEDIA BOUILLABAISSE[/h]Beef.
Game plan
Ask Costa what’s 2+2, let him think, then kick him in the face! https://t.co/INuD7pyEnP
— Israel Adesanya (@stylebender) August 21, 2020
Sharks in the water.
Lol kids a bitch
— Chito Vera (@chitoveraUFC) August 21, 2020
Her nails grew back. Sean “The Princess” Northcut #bendtheknee https://t.co/1Q772U6QQ3
— Henry Cejudo (@HenryCejudo) August 21, 2020
You got carried off on a stretcher after getting calf kicked one time. I’m not trying to kick a guy while he’s down but stfu boy. https://t.co/KeyRoo52Bp
— Cody Stamann (@CodyStamann) August 21, 2020
Cats out of the bag.. O’Malley has a pussy
— Baldy Ed (@brianboom135) August 21, 2020
God bless him, he’s a trier.
Alex keeps wanting to play kids games like duck duck cejudo. @danawhite @alexvolkanovski pic.twitter.com/A2HQzpaxZZ
— Henry Cejudo (@HenryCejudo) August 21, 2020
Aggressive.
@Mickmaynard2 I’m on stand by incase Blaydes falls out it in November #PinedaVsLewis let’s make it happen @Thebeast_ufc @ufc
— Daniel Pineda (@DanielPitPineda) August 21, 2020
You better hope he doesn’t https://t.co/6IgVD6Etil
— Derrick Lewis (@Thebeast_ufc) August 21, 2020
Spot the lie.
I think the rematch you’re terrified of is the Matt Hamill rematch ?? https://t.co/XDGHvc4agn
— Derek Brunson (@DerekBrunson) August 20, 2020
I’m not sure that means what you want it to mean.
I was the first man in history to have only his pregnant girlfriend in the corner for his fight. What’s the record for how many burgers you flipped in and hour at your bum ass job you hating ass chumps ?!
— Platinum Mike Perry (@PlatinumPerry) August 20, 2020
More Chase Hooper and Ben Askren.
Got @chase_hooper to spend some time playing with his brothers and sisters and bond! pic.twitter.com/CzBVCLP3sk
— Funky (@Benaskren) August 20, 2020
I’m an absolute powerhouse in the kids 4-7 year old kickball division, can’t be touched ??? ??? ??? https://t.co/HxZFH0gNiv
— Chase Hooper (@chase_hooper) August 20, 2020
This is the start of a John Wick movie.
Neighbours roosters been losing its shit since 5am, now my dogs barking at it, I think I have no choice but to take this thing out
— Arnold billy allen (@Arnoldbfa) August 21, 2020
This time its personal
— Arnold billy allen (@Arnoldbfa) August 21, 2020

[h=1]FIGHT ANNOUNCEMENTS[/h]Ed Herman (24-14, 1 NC) vs. John Allan (13-5, 1 NC); UFC Fight Night, Sep. 12.
Mayra Bueno Silva (6-1) vs. Mara Romero Borella (12-8, 2 NC); UFC Fight Night, Sep. 19.
Raulian Paiva (20-3) vs. Amir Albazi (13-1); UFC Fight Night, Oct. 31.

[h=1]FINAL THOUGHTS[/h]It’s time. CamSoda is back this weekend. It’s gonna be the best. Oh, and I guess the UFC and Bellator have cards too.
Thanks for reading and see y’all on Monday.

[h=1]EXIT POLL[/h]

If you find something you’d like to see in the Morning Report, hit up @JedKMeshew on Twitter and let him know about it. Also follow MMAFighting on Instagram, add us on Snapchat at MMA-Fighting, and like us on Facebook.

{feed:enclosure_href }

More...

Back