Powerlifter Russel Orhii Corrects Muscle Imbalances During Arm Training With Jeff Nippard

Muscle Insider

Bodybuilder, powerlifter, and fitness influencer Jeff Nippard went traveled to Houston, TX, to train with world champion powerlifter Russel Orhii in the 83-kilogram class. Orhii is a three-time IPF World Classic Powerlifting champion, winning gold in 2018, 2019, and 2021.
On July 19, 2023, Orhii published a video on his YouTube channel that featured his training session with Jeff Nippard, which included bench pressing, arm training, and more. Check it out below below:

[Related: Raw Powerlifting Will Debut at the 2025 World Games]
Orhii & Nippard Arm Training
Below is a breakdown of the lifts the two powerlifters performed together:

[Related: How To Use The Chest Press Machine For Plateau-Busting Pec Gains]
Bench Press
The duo started with a heavy single-rep flat bench press. Orhii performed them at an RPE of seven to help avoid burnout. They performed three sets of eight reps, with Orhii’s top lift reaching 180 kilograms (396 pounds).
After bench press, Nippard told Orhii about the difference in caloric expenditure when working in a hot gym (they were training in an open-air Houston gym in an approximately 85-degree heat). Orhii touched on how he lifts better when he’s angry.
I work out better when I’m pissed off. I’ll be irritated about the most random things but on purpose.
[Related: Denise Herber (75KG) Deadlifts Two 270-Kilogram (595-Pound) Raw Singles in Prep for ABS Pro V]
Beijing Cable Curls
For biceps and triceps, Nippard elected to lead the accessory work, starting with Beijing cable curls. “You want to get maximum stretch on the biceps because…that’s the most hypertrophic part of the lift,” Nippard said while showing Orhii the new exercise. “You’ll get the most stretch on your biceps when it’s actually back behind your shoulder because the biceps crosses the shoulder too.”

During the Beijing curl reps, Orhii asked Nippard about arm muscle imbalances and what the science-based lifter does to correct them. “I basically push my weaker side as hard as I can and then match with the other side, even if it’s not quite as hard,” Jeff Nippard answered.
EZ Bar Preacher Curls and Dumbbell Incline Lateral Raises
After four to five sets of Beijing curls, the pair moved to EZ-bar preacher curls. They do sets of 8-10 reps and focused on training the biceps in their fully lengthened position via the bottom two-thirds motion. They followed that with dumbbell incline lateral raises to hit the medial deltoids. Nippard and Orhii leaned against an incline bench for added stability.
Overhead Cable Trope Triceps Extensions and Single-Arm Cable Pushdowns
After the delt raises, Orhii and Nippard tackled their triceps work via overhead cable triceps extensions and single-arm cable pushdowns. They kept their elbows stable to ensure the load was on the triceps through the concentric.
This workout featured plenty of accessory work for Orhii, who doesn’t typically need to incorporate many isolation movements as competitive powerlifter, primarily relying on compound movements. Nippard, on the other hand, showcases his blend of bodybuilding and powerlifting prowess, and it was clear from their post-session posing that a sufficient pump was achieved.
Featured image: @jeffnippard on Instagram

Bodybuilder, powerlifter, and fitness influencer Jeff Nippard went traveled to Houston, TX, to train with world champion powerlifter Russel Orhii in the 83-kilogram class. Orhii is a three-time IPF World Classic Powerlifting champion, winning gold in 2018, 2019, and 2021.

On July 19, 2023, Orhii published a video on his YouTube channel that featured his training session with Jeff Nippard, which included bench pressing, arm training, and more. Check it out below below:

[Related: Raw Powerlifting Will Debut at the 2025 World Games]

Orhii & Nippard Arm Training
Below is a breakdown of the lifts the two powerlifters performed together:

[Related: How To Use The Chest Press Machine For Plateau-Busting Pec Gains]

Bench Press
The duo started with a heavy single-rep flat bench press. Orhii performed them at an RPE of seven to help avoid burnout. They performed three sets of eight reps, with Orhii’s top lift reaching 180 kilograms (396 pounds).

After bench press, Nippard told Orhii about the difference in caloric expenditure when working in a hot gym (they were training in an open-air Houston gym in an approximately 85-degree heat). Orhii touched on how he lifts better when he’s angry.

I work out better when I’m pissed off. I’ll be irritated about the most random things but on purpose.

[/quote]
[Related: Denise Herber (75KG) Deadlifts Two 270-Kilogram (595-Pound) Raw Singles in Prep for ABS Pro V]

Beijing Cable Curls
For biceps and triceps, Nippard elected to lead the accessory work, starting with Beijing cable curls. “You want to get maximum stretch on the biceps because…that’s the most hypertrophic part of the lift,” Nippard said while showing Orhii the new exercise. “You’ll get the most stretch on your biceps when it’s actually back behind your shoulder because the biceps crosses the shoulder too.”

During the Beijing curl reps, Orhii asked Nippard about arm muscle imbalances and what the science-based lifter does to correct them. “I basically push my weaker side as hard as I can and then match with the other side, even if it’s not quite as hard,” Jeff Nippard answered.

EZ Bar Preacher Curls and Dumbbell Incline Lateral Raises
After four to five sets of Beijing curls, the pair moved to EZ-bar preacher curls. They do sets of 8-10 reps and focused on training the biceps in their fully lengthened position via the bottom two-thirds motion. They followed that with dumbbell incline lateral raises to hit the medial deltoids. Nippard and Orhii leaned against an incline bench for added stability.

Overhead Cable Trope Triceps Extensions and Single-Arm Cable Pushdowns
After the delt raises, Orhii and Nippard tackled their triceps work via overhead cable triceps extensions and single-arm cable pushdowns. They kept their elbows stable to ensure the load was on the triceps through the concentric.

This workout featured plenty of accessory work for Orhii, who doesn’t typically need to incorporate many isolation movements as competitive powerlifter, primarily relying on compound movements. Nippard, on the other hand, showcases his blend of bodybuilding and powerlifting prowess, and it was clear from their post-session posing that a sufficient pump was achieved.

Featured image: @jeffnippard on Instagram

Click here to view the article.

Back