The 5 Best Protein Donuts Recipes

Muscle Insider

[/b]When it comes to breakfast pastries, the donut is arguably king. Unfortunately, like most sweets, regular donuts are not exactly healthy or well-balanced. But what if we told you there was a way you could have your donuts and gain muscle, too?

Enter: Protein donuts, a healthier take on the breakfast favorite, will enable you to hit your macros while enjoying the beloved morning treat.

If protein-packed donuts sound perfect, then you've come to the right place. We've got the best recipes for protein donuts. And, I promise breakfast is about to get a whole lot sweeter!

Table of Contents:[/b]

• What Are Protein Donuts?
  • Benefits of Protein Donuts
  • How To Make Protein Donuts
  • The Best Protein Donut Recipe
  • What Is The Best Protein Powder For Making Protein Donuts?
  • 4 Additional Protein Donuts Recipes
  • How To Eat Protein Donuts When Bulking & Cutting
  • How To Store Protein Donuts
  • Are Protein Donuts Healthy?

What Are Protein Donuts?[/b]
Protein donuts, sometimes referred to as pronuts, are a high-protein alternative to regular donuts. While a regular donut might bring you great joy, sadly they aren’t giving you the macros necessary for building muscle.

By making protein donuts ourselves, we can create a delicious snack that also is packed with essential macros to help hit our fitness goals.

Benefits of Protein Donuts[/b]
While regular donuts give us very little nutritional value, protein donuts can play a key part in any athlete's diet. Arguably, one of the hardest parts of gaining muscle is getting adequate amounts of protein per day.

Protein donuts are a great way to help reach your macro goals, whether you eat them at breakfast or for dessert. They can also be a great post-workout treat, providing a balance of protein and carbohydrates that are perfect to replenish the muscle.

No matter the time of day, protein donuts are a great source of additional protein.

chocolate_protein_donuts_480x480.jpg

How to Make Protein Donuts[/b]
There will be more protein donut recipes later on in this article, but I wanted to start with a basic one that's easy to make. If you have ever tried baking donuts or other pastries, like protein muffins, you know it can get complicated the more ingredients you add.

I like to keep things as simple as possible and this recipe certainly “takes the cake” for protein donuts. These fluffy, healthy protein donuts give us everything we love about donuts but are packed with protein and under 100 calories each.

Keep an eye out for the recipe card, which is directly below the recipe I'm about to go over. Screenshot it and save it on your phone, so you've got an easy way to reference the recipe when you're ready to make these donuts!

The Best Protein Donut Recipe[/b]
best_protein_donuts_480x480.jpg
[/b]

Feel free to add in your favorite items to help increase the flavor or nutritional value of this recipe. Adding items such as nuts, salt, chia seeds, and dried fruit can make your protein donuts healthier and better tasting.

Plus, when you incorporate high protein nuts and seeds, you're going to further increase your donut's protein count.

Donut Ingredients:[/b]

• ¼ cup protein powder of your choice (vanilla, chocolate, or unflavored work best)
  • 1¼ cups of self-rising flour
  • ? cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • ¾ cup granulated sweetener of your choice
  • 6 tbsp canola oil (or any neutral-flavored oil)
  • 1 cup + 2 tbsp milk of your choice ( almond milk, coconut milk, and soy milk all work great)
[/list]
Glaze Ingredients:[/i]

• 3 cups confectioners sugar substitute
  • ? cup cocoa powder
  • ¼ cup milk of your choice
[/list]
Directions:[/b]

• Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit and grease a 12-count donut pan.
  • Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
  • Add in the oil and milk, whisking them together until the batter is smooth. If too thick, add extra milk.
  • Transfer the batter to a plastic ziplock bag. Cut a corner of the bag to evenly distribute the batter in the donut pan.
  • Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
  • For the glaze, combine the powdered sugar substitute with the cocoa powder.
  • Slowly add the milk into the powder mixture until it's nice and thick.
  • Dip each donut in the glaze then place on a wire rack face up until firm.
[/list]
Looking for some customization tips? Here's a great one! If you prefer to make vanilla frosting instead of chocolate, swap out the cocoa powder for ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract.

One donut contains 100 cal, 6g net carbs, 4g fat, and 12g protein.

Best_Protein_Donuts_Recipe.jpg

What is the Best Protein Powder for Making Protein Donuts?[/b]
We want our protein donuts to be plump and moist, so choosing the right protein powder is essential. Whey protein is generally the most commonly used protein powder in cooking, but it is not recommended for every protein donut recipe.

Baking with standard whey can be tricky, as it tends to be very drying in higher doses, and is better used for thinner items, such as cookies.

Whey concentrate is the preferred type of whey for donuts, as whey isolates are horrible for baking. For this reason, a whey blend is a much better option, as it combines whey isolate, casein, and milk proteins. We recommend brown rice or casein protein powder as well when baking donuts, as these tend to be thicker.

Looking for some great protein powder recommendations? Check out these 14 Best Protein Powder Supplements!

4 More Delicious Protein Donuts Recipe[/b]
If you're looking for a less basic recipe that doesn't require you to customize it yourself, I've got you covered! Just a warning: You may have a hard time deciding which to make first.

1. Double Chocolate Protein Powder Donuts:[/b]
how_to_make_protein_donuts_480x480.jpg
[/b]

Sometimes it's difficult being a chocolate lover when dieting. Fortunately, this guilt-free recipe for double chocolate protein donuts ensures you can stick with macros counting and still enjoy chocolate.

You will see canned pumpkin in the ingredients but don't worry, you won’t be able to taste the pumpkin. This is simply used for texture and to thicken the donuts and can be swapped out if you choose.

And with 11 grams of protein per serving, this is a great way to stay on track while fueling your muscles.

• ¼ cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
  • ? cup liquid egg whites, or 2 whole egg whites
  • ½ cup canned pumpkin
  • 2 tbsp zero-calorie sweetener
  • 1 tbsp applesauce
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
[/list]
Chocolate Glaze Ingredients:[/i]

• 1 serving fat-free cream cheese (at room temperature)
  • 1 tbsp sugar-free chocolate syrup
  • 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
[/list]

• Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit, greasing a 12-count donut pan.
  • Mix all ingredients into a large bowl until even.
  • Spoon out or pipe the batter into a six-donut pan.
  • Bake for 15 minutes.
  • To make the frosting, mix the cream cheese, chocolate syrup, and protein powder until smooth.
  • Allow the donuts a few minutes to cool before applying the frosting.
  • Dip the donuts in the frosting, allowing them to harden.
[/list]
This recipe yields six donuts, with a macro breakdown of 90 calories, 11g protein, 9g carbs, and under one gram of fat per donut.

2. Gluten-Free Almond Flour Vanilla Protein Donuts:[/b]
high_protein_donuts_480x480.jpg
[/b]

This recipe is a gluten- and dairy-free option that uses almond flour as the base. This recipe is super easy because all the ingredients can be mixed in one bowl, which makes the cleanup much easier.

This delicious recipe is great for breakfast or dessert and can help you reach your macro goals.

• 1½ cup almond flour
  • ½ cup vanilla protein powder
  • 1½ tsp baking powder
  • ¼ tsp sea salt
  • ½ cup sugar-free maple syrup, at room temperature
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature
  • ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
  • ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk, room temperature
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
[/list]
Chocolate Glaze Ingredients:[/i]

• 3 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1½ tbsp maple syrup, at room temperature
  • 1 tsp coconut oil, melted
  • 1 tbsp unsweetened almond milk, room temperature
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract
  • Rainbow or chocolate sprinkles for additional topping
[/list]

• Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit, and grease a 12-count donut pan.
  • In a medium-sized bowl, mix the flour, protein, baking powder, and salt. Stir until combined.
  • Add maple syrup, eggs, coconut oil, almond milk, and vanilla extract into the same bowl.
  • Mix ingredients until all ingredients are combined evenly.
  • Spoon out or pipe (a plastic bag with a cut corner works well) mixture into 12 donuts.
  • Bake for 10 minutes, or until the donuts spring back when lightly pressed.
  • Place donuts on a wire rack and let cool for at least two minutes before applying the icing.
  • To mix the icing, combine the cocoa powder, maple syrup, coconut oil, almond milk, and vanilla extract in a small mixing bowl.
  • Once the donuts are cool, apply the icing to each donut. Let donuts sit on a wire rack until the icing is solid.
[/list]
This recipe will give you 12 donuts, with each donut being 210 cal, 13 net g carbs, 13g fat, and 8g protein.

3. Pumpkin Spice Protein Donut Recipe:[/b]
protein_powder_donuts_480x480.jpg
[/b]

No matter what time of year it is, pumpkin spice protein donuts are a hit. Pair one of these donuts with some protein coffee, and you're in for a serious treat.

Each of these doughnuts is nearly fat-free and under 100 calories each.

• ¼ cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 scoop whey protein powder, vanilla
  • ? cup liquid egg whites, or two whole egg whites
  • ½ cup canned pumpkin
  • 1 tbsp unsweetened applesauce, or an extra 1-2 tbsp canned pumpkin
  • 1 tbsp zero-calorie sweetener
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1-2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
[/list]
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:[/i]

• 2 oz fat-free cream cheese, room temp or softened
  • ¼ cup fat-free evaporated milk
  • 1 scoop protein powder, vanilla
[/list]

• Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit; grease a six-count donut pan.
  • Start with the protein powder and mix all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl until an even consistency. If the protein powder is too thick, add some additional applesauce or pumpkin.
  • Spoon out or pipe the mixture into six donuts.
  • Bake for 15 minutes.
  • To make the frosting, mix the cream cheese, evaporated milk, and protein powder. If the cream cheese isn’t at room temperature, microwave for 10-15 seconds.
  • Allow donuts to cool for a few minutes, then apply frosting to each donut.
[/list]
This recipe will yield six pumpkin spice protein donuts. Please note you can substitute the pumpkin for about ? the amount of applesauce.

Each donut will have 95 calories, 9.5g carbs, and 12.5g protein with less than a gram of fat.

4. Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Protein Donuts Recipe:[/b]
do_donuts_have_protein_480x480.jpg
[/b]

There always needs to be a peanut butter flavored recipe! One of the staples in many bodybuilders’ and athletes’ diets, peanut butter is an excellent source of protein and healthy fats.

In addition, this delicious snack is low in sugar and gluten-free.

• 2 scoops vanilla casein protein
  • 5 tbsp powdered peanut butter
  • 3 tbsp calorie-free sweetener (pure maple syrup, agave, or honey are fine)
  • 3 tbsp coconut flour (peanut or oat flour is fine)
  • ¼ tbsp baking soda
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • ¼ cup egg whites (2 large egg whites)
  • 3 tbsp nonfat plain Greek yogurt
  • 3 tbsp natural creamy peanut butter
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 tbsp dark chocolate chips (or milk chocolate)
[/list]
Chocolate Peanut Butter Glaze:[/i]

• 6 tbsp powdered peanut butter
  • 4-5 tbsp unsweetened almond milk (or other milk)
  • 3 tbsp calorie-free sweetener
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • ? tsp vanilla extract
[/list]

• Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit and grease a six-count donut pan.
  • Mix the protein, powdered peanut butter, flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
  • In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, Greek yogurt, peanut butter, chocolate, and vanilla extract.
  • Combine wet and dry ingredients, gently folding them back and forth until a thick batter is formed.
  • Add chocolate chips.
  • Spoon or pipe out six donuts into the pan using the batter.
  • Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a knife comes out clean with no batter.
  • For the glaze, stir together all ingredients until smooth.
  • Let the donuts cool for a few minutes then add the chocolate glaze.
[/list]
This recipe yields six protein donuts. The macro breakdown for one donut is 175 calories, 16g protein, 7g net carbs, and 8g fat.

How To Use Protein Donuts When Bulking[/b]
Counting macros is a great way of reaching your fitness goals, and getting a better understanding of your diet. While the exact specifics are dependent on your body type, the generally accepted macro breakdown when following a bulking workout and diet is 40% protein, 30% carbohydrates, and 30% fats.

Carbohydrates are just as if not more important than protein at building muscle, so it's important to increase your carbs when looking to bulk. Most of the recipes you will find in this article are very low in fat, so the high percentage of protein and carbohydrates makes these perfect for building muscle.

How to Use Protein Donuts For Fat Loss & Cutting[/b]
Protein donuts are an excellent tool for bulking, but do they have a place in a fat-loss diet? Yes!

If fat loss is your goal, there are many different options out there, so you need to figure out what works best for your own body. One school of thought regarding fat loss revolves around a low-carb diet, or the more extreme version, keto, which involves nearly zero carbs.

A typical low-carb diet would have a macro breakdown of 40-50% protein, 15-25% carbs, and 30-35% fats. A more balanced fat-loss diet might have 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% fat, generally known as the “40/40/20 diet.” Whatever method you choose, it is ideal to have higher amounts of protein than carbs, with little to no fat.

Not many weight loss diets include regular donuts, so be thankful you can splurge on sweets and not suffer the weight gain consequences. Protein donuts are a slightly more nutritious option than regular donuts and can be a great snack when counting calories.

But don’t be fooled! Nobody ever lost weight by consistently eating donuts, and we definitely would not recommend daily consumption if looking to burn fat.

Baking Tips For Making The Best Protein Donuts[/b]
Be sure to monitor your protein donuts when they are baking, as it's important not to overcook them.

Many protein donut recipes will continue to cook during the cool-down period, so it's better to take them out early than overbake. If you don’t have a donut pan, you can also use a muffin pan or something similar.

Another important tip is to make sure your eggs, maple syrup, and milk products are mixed at room temperature. Coconut oil should be in liquid form and kept warm to prevent clumping.

How to Store Protein Donuts[/b]
After your hard work making delicious protein donuts, you are going to want to refrigerate them for maximum freshness. Most protein donuts will stay fresh for a week when refrigerated in a container with a sealed lid.

If you are looking to store your protein donuts long-term, place them in a ziplock bag and in the freezer. This will keep them fresh for up to six months!

healthy_protein_donuts_480x480.jpg

Are Protein Donuts Healthy?[/b]
Protein donuts are extremely healthy relative to a standard coffee shop donut. However, this does not mean they are healthy - I mean, they are donuts, after all!

Compared to a standard pastry, these recipes have far less sugar and fat than normal donuts, but they should still be treated with caution. Using protein treats such as protein donuts will make it easier when facing a strict diet, as they won’t kill your macros.

Protein Donuts: A Delicious Addition To Your Diet![/b]
Now that we have taught you everything to know about protein donuts, it's time to try our recipes! Protein donuts are another example of protein-infused treats that can help reach our fitness goals. Made with high-quality protein and healthy, low-calorie ingredients, these treats provide nutritional value that regular donuts don’t have.

Baking your own high-protein treats ensures you know every ingredient and macronutrient going into your body. As with all of our recipes, feel free to customize them to fit your personal taste preferences. Adding in other items can increase flavor as well as nutritional value, so we encourage you to put your own special twist on these delicious, muscle-building treats.

Looking for more great protein-packed recipes? Check out our articles on the [/i]6 Best Recipes For Protein Cookies[/i], [/i]The Best Muscle-Building High Protein Oatmeal Recipe[/i], and the [/i]4 Best Recipes For Protein Muffins[/i]![/i]

protein_donuts_recipes_480x480.jpg
[/i]

References:[/i]

[*]Liew, A. (2021, November 10). Protein donuts- under 100 calories each! The Big Man's World ®. Retrieved November 20, 2022, from https://thebigmansworld.com/protein-donuts/[/i]
[*]Mullins, B. (2022, September 1). Protein Donuts. Eating Bird Food. Retrieved November 21, 2022, from https://www.eatingbirdfood.com/protein-donuts/[/i]
[*]Nutritionist Mom. (2016, April 27). Peanut butter chocolate chip protein donuts. Nutritionist Mom. Retrieved November 21, 2022, from https://nutritionistmom.com/blogs/blog/peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-pronuts[/i]
[*]Woodruff, M. (2021, November 2). 90-calorie double chocolate high protein donuts recipe. Kinda Healthy Recipes. Retrieved November 21, 2022, from https://masonfit.com/chocolate-protein-donuts/[/i]
[*]
Woodruff, M. (2021, November 2). Pumpkin spice protein donuts: A 95-calorie high protein donut recipe. [/i]Kinda Healthy Recipes. Retrieved November 20, 2022, from https://masonfit.com/pumpkin-spice-protein-donuts

Click here to view the article.

Back