UFC Vegas 21 video: Davey Grant flattens Jonathan Martinez with brutal knockout in second round

9mm

MuscleChemistry MMA Site Representative
1306933061.0.jpg
Photo by Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images For the second fight in a row, Davey Grant delivered a highlight reel knockout.
After facing some adversity of his own in the opening round at UFC Vegas 21, Grant uncorked a right hand to the body followed by a brutal left hand that leveled Jonathan Martinez and sent him crashing to the ground. Grant followed that up with a couple more shots but the fight was already over as the referee rushed into stop the contest at 3:03 into the second round.
All smiles afterwards while nursing a potential foot injury suffered in the fight, Grant didn’t even realize he threw the combination that led to the knockout until seeing the replay.
“Absolutely over the moon,” Grant said about his win. “I think my foot is definitely broke but it was worth it. It’s one of the shots I’ve been working. I didn’t even know that’s what did it but I’m so pleased it worked.”
WOKE UP FEELING DAN-GER-OUS

@DaveyGrantMMA with a FLAWLESS connection.

[ #UFCVegas21 - LIVE on #ESPNPlus ] pic.twitter.com/lnN6yW2Hiu
— UFC (@ufc) March 14, 2021
A largely competitive round to start the fight finally led to Martinez unloading a huge left hand just before time ran out that put Grant on the floor. While the Brit was definitely dazed, he was smart enough to defend himself as Martinez unloaded two more bombs in an attempt to get the finish.
While it appeared Martinez was in control, Grant came out firing from his corner after the reset and he was suddenly connecting with the better combinations. Martinez almost seemed like a deer in the headlights as he hesitated to throw strikes with the same kind of ferocity as the opening round.
That allowed Grant to really start sitting down on his punches, which then set up the body shot followed by the huge left hand that connected flush and put Martinez down and out.
After a pair of consecutive losses, Grant has now powered back with three wins in a row including back-to-back knockouts and he now hopes to eventually work his way into a main event after truly putting on a show in his past two outings.

{feed:enclosure_href }

More...

Back