Centrophenoxine Review – Uses, Benefits, Effects

Muscle Insider

As the consumer demand for nootropics keeps increasing as each day passes, more research is being dedicated to developing new potent and effective nootropics every now and then.

And, not to forget that the tremendous work of scientists in the research has given us life-changing “smart drugs” such as Modafinil, the racetam family of nootropics as well as its analogs.

While the market is now brimmed with newer much more efficacious nootropics, it is worth talking about older nootropics that were first to disrupt the market and gave an idea to the audience that “smart drugs” do exist.

Today we are talking about one such older horse which goes by the name Centrophenoxine. The latter is one of the thoroughly researched nootropics to exist in the market.

In this Centrophenoxine Review we’ll discuss everything, such as the plausible mechanism of action, the associated benefits, and risks as well as the dosage guidelines.

What is Centrophenoxine? Centrophenoxine, also known by the names Meclofenoxate and Lucidril, is a cholinergic compound, meaning that it boosts the levels of choline and acetylcholine in the brain.

image-22-1024x363-1.png
Figure 1: Centrophenoxine It is currently sold under the brand name Lucidril, a prescription medication, as well as an over-the-counter supplement.

Structurally, this compound constitutes pCPA (p-chlorophenoxyacetic acid) and an ester of DMAE (dimethylethanolamine) (1).

pCPA is a synthetic version of auxins, a plant growth hormone. On the other hand, DMAE is a compound found naturally in fish, and egg yolks, and acts as a source of choline.

Created in 1959 as an anti-aging drug, this supplement is classified as both a neuroprotective and nootropic agent (2).

So what exactly does this mean?

Neuroprotective agents help to protect the brain or spinal cord from damage from a variety of complications, including both trauma and illness.

Nootropic agents do more than just prevent damage – they actually improve the day-to-day functioning of the bran.

While still used to help those suffering from age-related cognitive decline, this drug is now one of the most popular and well-studied nootropics on the market.

How Does it Work? Amongst the two constituents which make up Centrophenoxine, DMAE is the bioactive one and is responsible for most of the characteristic properties of the nootropic.

When taken orally, a portion of this supplement is broken down into DMAE and pCPA in the liver. At this juncture, the DMAE that has been broken down is converted into choline.

However, not all the supplement breaks down into their composite parts. The remainder of the supplement circulates through the bloodstream, eventually making it to the blood-brain barrier, where it can cross over into the brain.

Because of DMAE’s ability to produce choline for the body, Centrophenoxine has been found to increase the quantity of acetylcholine in the synaptic vesicles.

Some evidence also suggests that Centrophenoxine can improve both glucose absorption and oxygen uptake in the brain.

Centrophenoxine also reduces the levels of Lipofuscin and Potassium, the two waste products found in the brain cells.

Benefits Improves Memory and Cognitive Performance Centrophenoxine is known as a powerful memory booster largely because of its role as a choline source in the central nervous system. It is this boost in choline that enables the production of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine (3).

Acetylcholine is known to positively influence memory, cognitive function, and concentration.

Numerous nootropics produce their cognitive effects through the synthesis of acetylcholine. The problem with some of these is that they rely on the choline already available in the body, thus eventually exhausting the choline available, leading to both negative side effects and a lack of long-term efficacy. This is especially true for those who avoid eating large amounts of animal products as these provide the majority of choline in the human diet.

Centrophenoxine can be used in combination with these nootropics in order to provide a reliable source of choline. This implies that a huge amount of choline will be available which can be used to upregulate the production of acetylcholine leading to a stronger communication between neurons.

Boosts Mental Energy Centrophenoxine is categorized as a stimulant as it increases acetylcholine production as well as simulates oxygen consumption and glucose uptake in the brain.

Unlike the jitteriness caused by caffeinated supplements, you’ll feel more of a gentle boost in energy.

Protects the Brain from Damage When we are exposed to environmental toxins such as air pollution, pesticides, and even unhealthy foods, free radicals start accumulating inside our bodies. Over time these free radicals can lead to oxidative damage inside the brain.

This damage is thought to play a part in the formation of many age-related neurological conditions, including Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases.

The bioactive ingredient DMAE is known to protect neurons and other cells from oxidative damage by upregulating the activity of antioxidant enzymes, such as glutathione.

In fact, Centrophenoxine was found to improve the hindered cognitive performance and short-term memory of rats exposed to toxic aluminum conditions, which caused extensive oxidative damage (4).

Fights Aging This supplement has been found to help fight age and possibly even extend our lifespan.

One way in which it works is through the antioxidant abilities described above. Additionally, as we grow older, certain molecules known as lipofuscin build up in the brain and are linked to cognitive decline and health conditions, including Alzheimer’s disease.

Centrophenoxine has been found to reduce lipofuscin accumulation in the brain (5) It was even found to increase the average lifespan of mice by 27.3% (6).

Dosage While the clinical trials involving Centrophenoxine administered the dosage between 600 to 2000 mg/day, many experts recommend starting with a small dosage of 250mg, split into two doses, one in the morning and one in the early afternoon.

Start slow and then make your way up after noting how you feel and cutting back if you start to experience any unwanted side effects.

Cycling When taking this supplement long-term, it is a good idea to cycle it: take it for 5 days, skip 2 days, and repeat the process.

Side Effects While more research is needed to study the long-term safety profile of Centrophenoxine, some of the side effects include headache, depression, increased blood pressure, constipation, and excitation.

But you are more likely to experience these side effects if you are taking too large of a dose. Stay within the optimal range and you will be safe.

Contraindications and Interactions While generally considered safe and non-toxic, you should not take this supplement if are pregnant or expecting to be conceiving as DMAE has been found to cause birth defects.

This supplement is also not meant for those with bipolar disorder, epilepsy, or seizure disorders as it may exacerbate the condition.

Because DMAE acts as a potential source of choline in the body, it may have unwanted interactions with choline-related medications. Therefore, I would recommend consulting a doctor once before starting the use of Centrophenoxine.

User Reviews and Experiences While we have discussed what scientific research has to offer in favor of Centrophenoxine, it’s time to look at what people have experienced to get an insight into the practicality of the nootropic.

u/noouser says,

“I can safely say that no other supplement has radically impacted my anxiety/derealisation to the same extent. Clearly, it’s early days yet (2 weeks) and I know from previous experience I probably won’t know the true effect (good or bad) until a couple of months have gone by.”

Another user said,

“It was a bit stimulatory for me. It was nice. I never went overboard with the dosage.”

But after reading a lot of subreddits, what I saw was despite substantial scientific evidence, there are generally bad reviews about Centrophenoxine.

Nachos420 said,

“i was 18, but it made me weirdly giddy and hypomanic. Kept laughing in this lecture and the professor called me out and I still thought this one thing was so funny I couldn’t stop laughing when it popped back into my head repeatedly… so I left it also tastes insane and made my vision sharper”

Another user said,

“I took a lot of it a few years ago. I felt slight stimulation, but I think my mood was generally worse. Didn’t notice cognitive boost.”

Another user said,

“I took it for a few weeks, didn’t notice anything. I was taking NAC at the same time if that matters. NAC works well for me, but it’s one of those things where you only notice once you stop taking it.”

Where to Buy Centrophenoxine? This supplement is available in both powder and capsule form. Depending on your preferred form of intake, you can buy either form.

I tried finding the best vendors selling Centrophenoxine and I have tried to give an unbiased review of the following vendors. I would personally recommend buying from any of the brands because they are among the top!

Centrophenoxine Capsules by Pure NootropicsPure Nootropics offer Centrophenoxine capsules at a price of $16.99.

The bottle contains 90 vegetarian capsules constituting 250mg which is usually the recommended dosage of Centrophenoxine, thus one bottle can last for around 3 months.

Pure Nootropics provide a certificate of analysis as well, therefore establishing the credibility and originality of the product.

With multiple payment options, such as Bitcoin, Visa card, and Mastercard, I think Pure Nootropics seem to be a feasible option to make your purchase.

[*]Enough to last for 3 months [*]Certificate of Analysis provided [*]Economical [/list][*]Only capsule form [*]Few customer reviews [/list]

Centrophenoxine by Nootropics DepotNootropics Depot offers Centrophenoxine capsules at a price range of $29.99 to $49.99. Each serving constitutes 500mg which is enough for a day.

The two versions available at Nootropics depot are either 90ct or 180ct. Depending on how long you are planning to take Centrophenoxine, you can buy either the 90 servings bottle or the 180 one!

Not only this, but Nootropics Depot also offers the powder form of the supplement. Centrophenoxine powder is also available in a jar of 25 g, 50g, and 100g. Note that the price range of Centrophenoxine powder is $15.99 to $36.99.

With same-day shipping and free shipping on orders above $200, Nootropic depot becomes one of the top choices to make your purchase from.

Also, the customer reviews of the product, as well as the brand, speak volumes of what Nootropic Depot offers.

Visit the store and add Centrophenoxine into the bucket immediately and see the change yourself!

[*]Powder and Capsules are both available [*]Same-day shipping [*]Positive customer reviews[/list][*]Prices may be relatively high[/list]

Centrophenoxine Powder by Pure RawzPure Rawz offers a powder form of Centrophenoxine for the customers.

Pure Rawz also offers 25g of the nootropic. This makes sure that the dosage requirements of the customers are fully met.

With lab-tested quality products, secure payment methods, free shipping on orders above $100, and 100% satisfaction, Pure Rawz offers top-quality nootropic products within your budget.

Centrophenoxine powder by Pure Rawz will cost you around $14.48 but if you buy more products, you will keep adding points.

[*]Preferred form available [*]Premium customer service by the brand[/list][*]Only available for research purposes [*]Only 1 form is available[/list]

Centrophenoxine Powder by LiftmodeCentrophenoxine powder by Liftmode will cost you anywhere from around $10.68 to 23.68. The price value depends on whether you buy 5g or 20g of the compound.

Liftmode is one of the top brands and offers you Non-GMO products, vegan and gluten-free, HPLC lab-tested to establish the purity of the compound, and is free of any additives as well.

With free shipping on all US orders above $49, Centrophenoxine by Liftmode is pretty much what you need.

[*]Multiple quantities available [*]Vegan product [*]Positive customer reviews[/list][*]Capsules form not available [*]Relatively expensive[/list] Centrophenoxine vs Other Compounds Centrophenoxine vs DMAE The active ingredient in Centrophenoxine is DMAE. So why, then, would you take this drug instead of taking DMAE on its own?

DMAE alone does not easily pass through the blood-brain barrier. In order to help improve bioavailability and absorption into the brain, this molecule is bound to pCPA. pCPA acts as an absorption enhancer, paving the way for DMAE to enter the brain.

It’s here, after crossing the blood-brain barrier, where this nootropic works much of its magic to optimize your brain’s performance. In fact, in rat brains, it was found that meclofenoxate was twice as effective as DMAE at elevating choline levels in the CNS.

Is Centrophenoxine Legit? Centrophenoxine is one of the most studied nootropic supplements on the market. Taken alone as a nootropic, it can help to boost memory and focus, increase energy, and improve your ability to learn.

It can even help to prevent or even reverse age-related mental decline and help protect your brain from oxidative damage.

However, it is imperative to mention that anecdotal evidence doesn’t back up the scientific evidence. People haven’t had good experiences with this nootropic so honestly, I would recommend using the alternatives or the best shot is to consult your doctor before using it.

FAQs about Centrophenoxine What is Centrophenoxine used for? Centrophenoxine, also known as meclofenoxate, is a cholinergic nootropic used as a dietary supplement to alleviate cognitive symptoms of dementia.

Is Centrophenoxine natural? Centrophenoxine comprises two biochemicals: diethylaminoethanol (DMAE) and parachlorophenoxyacetate (pCPA). DMAE is a natural ingredient found in foods such as fish and is also a metabolite of choline which is naturally present in humans.

Does DMAE tighten skin? DMAE reduces fine lines and wrinkles, and improves the overall appearance of aging skin. It causes muscles to contract and tighten under the skin.

What are the side effects of DMAE? There is some concern that DMAE may trigger certain side effects, including increased blood pressure, stomach upset, headaches, muscle tension, drowsiness, confusion, and irritability.

Can DMAE be used with vitamin C? In this serum, DMAE is paired with a super potent yet gentle form of vitamin C to visibly firm the appearance of sagging facial skin instantly and over time, as well as smooth and brighten discoloration.

Skip to Section

Click here to view the article.

Back