Classic Shawn: 10 Questions with Shawn Ray May 2023

Muscle Insider

Classic Shawn
10 Questions With Shawn Ray
Sponsored by MUTANT

1. Now that the Arnold Classic is over, what are your thoughts on the results?

I think the judges got it right! I had Samson Dauda in first, but I was cheering for Andrew Jacked who placed third. Of course, Nick Walker finished in the second spot but there was a strong case for Andrew to pull the upset, as many in the audience agreed with that view of those who were seated around me. I had Nick Walker in third and the Giant Killer, Shaun Clarida, in fourth with Big Ramy in fifth place. I felt Shaun was more balanced and more complete than Big Ramy, who was clearly just bigger than Shaun but had conditioning and balance issues.

2. I see you’re traveling to Germany for the FIBO trade show April 13-16th in Köln, Germany. Can you shed more light on that appearance?

This will be my 26th visit to Europe for this expo and my second with my sponsor, MUTANT. Basically, this is the biggest trade show in our industry that includes supplements, gym equipment, fitness fashion and cosmetics. The first two days are for buyers and distributors and the next two days are open to the public, where fans can meet the athletes and purchase items. It’s a global expo that is basically a melting pot of nationalities from around the world to purchase the latest and best products for bodybuilding, nutrition, and equipment! Be sure to drop by the MUTANT booth for some sample products!

3. The IFBB Pro League’s next big show is the Pittsburgh Pro, followed by the New York Pro. Can we expect any big names competing this year?

I’ll be at both events, as I was at the Pittsburgh Pro last year where everyone got their first look at what 212 Olympia champion, Derek Lunsford, was bringing to the Olympia last year in the Open division, as he guest posed. This year, I expect there will be more surprises but not so much in Pittsburgh, but at the New York Pro! The New York Pro is wide open and is also a Mr. Olympia qualifier, but for whom? Who exactly will compete remains a mystery, which makes it more interesting. Stay tuned … Steve Weinberger always puts in a great show!

4. Speaking of shows, we see you’ve begun advertising your show in Hawaii this November as the place to be.

Absolutely! This year we have three pro divisions and are giving away $47,000 in prize money to our pros! My partner, Dr. Morales, and I decided to bring back pro Classic Physique with sponsor Tony Taveras, providing the third largest purse for the division this year with $25k overall, and we are adding a $10k best poser award too! This men’s pro division will join our previous two pro women’s divisions, Bikini and Wellness, which is presented by our sponsor, GMU Sport, along with the $12,000 prize money!Join us in paradise this winter on November 18th at the Hawaii Convention Center! Details at www.SRHawaiianClassic.com

5. Tell us what you ate today and how you worked out.

Lol. Let me start by saying, “I eat every day!” I no longer eat with the same frequency or volume, but I feel like I never miss a meal. My breakfast starts after my exercise around 10:30 a.m., which today was 45 minutes in the treadmill and one hour on my beach cruiser on the boardwalk. Finally, I had 4 eggs (2 yolks), oatmeal with blueberries and strawberries along with half a bagel with peanut butter and a cup of orange juice.

I haven’t lifted weights since November and will not until June. I decided earlier this year I’d give my body a break from training and building for the first time in 40 years. I’ve taken time off after competitions but never for the duration I’m looking at this year. Typically, I’d train about nine months a year for the Mr. Olympia with a small break following the show. Now that I’m no longer competing for the last 21 years, I’ve finally arrived at a place and time in my life that I need exercise more than I do training, so let’s see what happens.

6. What are you presently working on since you’ve been known as “The Hardest Working Man in the Business of Bodybuilding” for years now?

I recently attended the IHRSA trade show in San Diego and met with a new equipment company looking for a global ambassador who knows the business and industry. Needless to say, we’ve had a few meetings and it looks very promising with opportunities for me to continue utilizing my extensive networking abilities to provide a service while taking care of others. It’s a work in progress, but I’ll keep everyone posted soon!

7. Congratulations on MUTANT being title sponsor of the Arnold Classic for the third time in two years!

Thank you for that. Our company owner and CEO, Jim McMahon, is a huge supporter of the athletes and a real fan of the sport! As you know, he signed pro superstars Shaun Clarida and Andrea Shaw to the team, along with having a great supporting cast of athletes and consumers who love our products. That said, one of the things he was most excited about was finally getting back to traveling, post Covid, and actually being there onstage to present awards to deserving athletes alongside Arnold himself! Giving back is a huge motto that Jim is proud of, and the Arnold Classic is a great platform for him to do just that!

8. Did the Arnold Classic feel like it was all the way back this year?

Oh yeah! As far as attendance and foot traffic, yes! It was packed. It rained a little, which is normal, but other than that it was elbow to elbow. This was the first year I wasn’t announcing the Arnold Amateur in eight years. It was time for me to move on and to be more available at our booth and after all, they did cancel the Amateur competition in early December only to add it back, but I’d already moved on and rightfully so. Just being available to the fans felt like home after my 36 years at the Arnold Expo!

Short answer, YES. Not all the time, and you have to make careful choices, but having a solid protein powder available like MUTANT ISO-SURGE allows you to easily get 25 grams of high-quality protein in one easy-to-digest shake. Remember that when lifting to grow, your body requires at least a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight to create an anabolic environment. You need to repair and grow. Good luck eating all that in prepared, heavy meals of meat every single day. Hard to digest and slow uptake. Add in two MUTANT ISO-SURGE shakes along with your prepared meals and you’re good to go!

10. So many supplement companies out there. More now than ever, it seems. As an OG, who do you know now really to trust?

The reason I signed with MUTANT is they have been in the game for almost 30 years! They make their own products and have all the proper certifications required for purity and quality. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen companies pop up out of nowhere selling absolute garbage with no regard for safety, efficacy, and the best possible formulations for the consumer. Buyer beware. I’ll take MUTANT every day of the week!

Instagram @shawnrayifbbpro
Facebook @TheRealShawnRay
shawnray.fitness
Twitter @sugarshawnray

NEW MUTANT ALL-IN
Shawn Ray Signature
Full Dose Pre-Workout

“This one is a game-changer. Lift big. Get big. It’s that simple. I have my signature on this product for a reason. It’s the culmination of a lifetime of training, nutrition and hard work all wrapped into one amazing formula. From the weight rack to the Olympia stage, I have always been ALL-IN. Now it’s your turn.”-Shawn Ray

For more information, visit iammutant.com

DISCUSS ON OUR FORUMSSUBSCRIBE TO MD TODAY
GET OFFICIAL MD STUFFVISIT OUR STORE
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

ALSO, MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOKTWITTERINSTAGRAM YOUTUBE

495754500-classic-shawn-slider.jpg.pagespeed.ce_.pN1900sxsa.jpg

Classic Shawn

10 Questions With Shawn Ray

Sponsored by MUTANT

1. Now that the Arnold Classic is over, what are your thoughts on the results?

I think the judges got it right! I had Samson Dauda in first, but I was cheering for Andrew Jacked who placed third. Of course, Nick Walker finished in the second spot but there was a strong case for Andrew to pull the upset, as many in the audience agreed with that view of those who were seated around me. I had Nick Walker in third and the Giant Killer, Shaun Clarida, in fourth with Big Ramy in fifth place. I felt Shaun was more balanced and more complete than Big Ramy, who was clearly just bigger than Shaun but had conditioning and balance issues.

2. I see you’re traveling to Germany for the FIBO trade show April 13-16th in Köln, Germany. Can you shed more light on that appearance?

This will be my 26th visit to Europe for this expo and my second with my sponsor, MUTANT. Basically, this is the biggest trade show in our industry that includes supplements, gym equipment, fitness fashion and cosmetics. The first two days are for buyers and distributors and the next two days are open to the public, where fans can meet the athletes and purchase items. It’s a global expo that is basically a melting pot of nationalities from around the world to purchase the latest and best products for bodybuilding, nutrition, and equipment! Be sure to drop by the MUTANT booth for some sample products!

3. The IFBB Pro League’s next big show is the Pittsburgh Pro, followed by the New York Pro. Can we expect any big names competing this year?

I’ll be at both events, as I was at the Pittsburgh Pro last year where everyone got their first look at what 212 Olympia champion, Derek Lunsford, was bringing to the Olympia last year in the Open division, as he guest posed. This year, I expect there will be more surprises but not so much in Pittsburgh, but at the New York Pro! The New York Pro is wide open and is also a Mr. Olympia qualifier, but for whom? Who exactly will compete remains a mystery, which makes it more interesting. Stay tuned … Steve Weinberger always puts in a great show!

495754517-image2.jpeg.pagespeed.ce_.KAXBghTfM5.jpg

4. Speaking of shows, we see you’ve begun advertising your show in Hawaii this November as the place to be.

Absolutely! This year we have three pro divisions and are giving away $47,000 in prize money to our pros! My partner, Dr. Morales, and I decided to bring back pro Classic Physique with sponsor Tony Taveras, providing the third largest purse for the division this year with $25k overall, and we are adding a $10k best poser award too! This men’s pro division will join our previous two pro women’s divisions, Bikini and Wellness, which is presented by our sponsor, GMU Sport, along with the $12,000 prize money!Join us in paradise this winter on November 18th at the Hawaii Convention Center! Details at www.SRHawaiianClassic.com

5. Tell us what you ate today and how you worked out.

Lol. Let me start by saying, “I eat every day!” I no longer eat with the same frequency or volume, but I feel like I never miss a meal. My breakfast starts after my exercise around 10:30 a.m., which today was 45 minutes in the treadmill and one hour on my beach cruiser on the boardwalk. Finally, I had 4 eggs (2 yolks), oatmeal with blueberries and strawberries along with half a bagel with peanut butter and a cup of orange juice.

I haven’t lifted weights since November and will not until June. I decided earlier this year I’d give my body a break from training and building for the first time in 40 years. I’ve taken time off after competitions but never for the duration I’m looking at this year. Typically, I’d train about nine months a year for the Mr. Olympia with a small break following the show. Now that I’m no longer competing for the last 21 years, I’ve finally arrived at a place and time in my life that I need exercise more than I do training, so let’s see what happens.

495754522-image3.jpeg.pagespeed.ce_.hyhGOUtH8u.jpg

6. What are you presently working on since you’ve been known as “The Hardest Working Man in the Business of Bodybuilding” for years now?

I recently attended the IHRSA trade show in San Diego and met with a new equipment company looking for a global ambassador who knows the business and industry. Needless to say, we’ve had a few meetings and it looks very promising with opportunities for me to continue utilizing my extensive networking abilities to provide a service while taking care of others. It’s a work in progress, but I’ll keep everyone posted soon!

7. Congratulations on MUTANT being title sponsor of the Arnold Classic for the third time in two years!

Thank you for that. Our company owner and CEO, Jim McMahon, is a huge supporter of the athletes and a real fan of the sport! As you know, he signed pro superstars Shaun Clarida and Andrea Shaw to the team, along with having a great supporting cast of athletes and consumers who love our products. That said, one of the things he was most excited about was finally getting back to traveling, post Covid, and actually being there onstage to present awards to deserving athletes alongside Arnold himself! Giving back is a huge motto that Jim is proud of, and the Arnold Classic is a great platform for him to do just that!

495754542-image8.jpeg.pagespeed.ce_.QyW9oc9SQf.jpg

8. Did the Arnold Classic feel like it was all the way back this year?

Oh yeah! As far as attendance and foot traffic, yes! It was packed. It rained a little, which is normal, but other than that it was elbow to elbow. This was the first year I wasn’t announcing the Arnold Amateur in eight years. It was time for me to move on and to be more available at our booth and after all, they did cancel the Amateur competition in early December only to add it back, but I’d already moved on and rightfully so. Just being available to the fans felt like home after my 36 years at the Arnold Expo!

Short answer, YES. Not all the time, and you have to make careful choices, but having a solid protein powder available like MUTANT ISO-SURGE allows you to easily get 25 grams of high-quality protein in one easy-to-digest shake. Remember that when lifting to grow, your body requires at least a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight to create an anabolic environment. You need to repair and grow. Good luck eating all that in prepared, heavy meals of meat every single day. Hard to digest and slow uptake. Add in two MUTANT ISO-SURGE shakes along with your prepared meals and you’re good to go!

495754540-image7.jpeg.pagespeed.ce_.xzWDneaF7e.jpg

10. So many supplement companies out there. More now than ever, it seems. As an OG, who do you know now really to trust?

The reason I signed with MUTANT is they have been in the game for almost 30 years! They make their own products and have all the proper certifications required for purity and quality. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen companies pop up out of nowhere selling absolute garbage with no regard for safety, efficacy, and the best possible formulations for the consumer. Buyer beware. I’ll take MUTANT every day of the week!

Instagram @shawnrayifbbpro
Facebook @TheRealShawnRay
shawnray.fitness
Twitter @sugarshawnray

495754497-000-mutant-products.jpg.pagespeed.ce_.SrsRj65j1w.jpg

NEW MUTANT ALL-IN

Shawn Ray Signature

Full Dose Pre-Workout

“This one is a game-changer. Lift big. Get big. It’s that simple. I have my signature on this product for a reason. It’s the culmination of a lifetime of training, nutrition and hard work all wrapped into one amazing formula. From the weight rack to the Olympia stage, I have always been ALL-IN. Now it’s your turn.”-Shawn Ray

For more information, visit iammutant.com

495754551-q10-images.png.pagespeed.ce_.AT8VKVOP25.png

DISCUSS ON OUR FORUMS

SUBSCRIBE TO MD TODAY

GET OFFICIAL MD STUFF

VISIT OUR STORE

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

ALSO, MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

INSTAGRAM

YOUTUBE