Debunking the myth of your body can only process 35 grams protein at a time

smart guy, agree and disagree with a lot of it, simply for this one reason. Without increased enzymes or gear/hgh to help with protein synthesis, this is simply not possible in an AVERAGE human, which most clients are. Top 1%ers or guys enhanced to the fullest can handle more per meal, but in all my REAL world experience, the average person simply cant exceed 40g or so.

ahhh man I'm so glad we agree on this. Study after study, book after book on athletes, elderly, younger people, fat people, etc etc... and it all adds up to exactly what mike said.

I saw this thread and wanted to throw my computer out the window.

And that Lane guy really fucking annoys me. I'm not impressed with how smart he thinks he is.
Fuck look at the guy:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tIxM2xA3utc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Without increased enzymes or gear/hgh to help with protein synthesis, this is simply not possible in an AVERAGE human, which most clients are. Top 1%ers or guys enhanced to the fullest can handle more per meal, but in all my REAL world experience, the average person simply cant exceed 40g or so.

Question bro: to what extant have you seen this? I was under the impression that gear/hgh and the like simply amplified protein synthesis, rather than increasing the amount your body can utilize in one setting. With exception to that very small margin, you don't think this is the ase with most do you? Or are you saying the less than 1% that are taking the PEDs can sometime utilize more protein?

Curious to hear your thoughts.

you should of thrown it out the window you would be doing everyone a favor. Regardless if you agree or disagree. The myth of 40 grams or less has been circulating since the 80's. Layne has a PHD in Nutrition. This is different than say a certificate in Nutritional science, heh. Most important part I got out of it is requirement for everyone are different, regarding all macro's. Whatever works best threw trial and error seems to be spot on.

I dont know where to start. People start throwing out credentials like it means something. Im a doctorate too. I dont think it makes me more special than the next guy, so sorry mickdoo, that means shit to me about layne. Ive met plenty of doctors(MD, DO, PhD Nutrition) that i dont agree with one bit, but hey im not going to preach like Im the best because i know im not. I do know that i have plenty of experience with athletes from HS to Olympic level and the real world is just what you said. Trial and error, play with the macros. I just hate when people say they have proven this or that and let me show you how ive debunked it...truth is no one knows for sure. If they did we'd be further along...so again i agree with trial and error

Nair, you can increase it by adding digestive enzymes and giving your body the tools to utilize more protein. Gear and hgh will help you take advantage of more protein through the amplification as you have said, but i leaning towards saying they do help increase utilization as well. When i refer to 1%ers, it means the top 1% of athletes in any given sport. See i know 1 guy in the NFL in particular. He eats KFC all day long, maybe 2x per day, not an ounce of fat to him and he quite large at 225lbs.

Another example would be to look at some prisoners in the county jail. Big, strong, guys. They sure arent getting 1-1.5gr their bodyweight in protein yet they have those properties.

after watching this video im pretty speechless...whats the point. Do natural shows really get much attention? Im not trying to offend anyone, but i cant remember the last natural bodybuilding client i had nor show ive been to. I dont think they needed to make a dvd devoted to this either...id rather watch p90x, sorry...he did all of this cause he was a dork in HS? cmon man, do things you love, not to prove a point.

just curious.... when you say 35 grams at a time..... how long is " at a time"? Is it 35 grams per sitting (everytime you sit down and eat), or per hour or what? Because if its every meal, and you eat six meals a day, thats not much protein...

I dunno..Ive always thought the body is waaay to effecient and waaay to good at survival to only absorb 35-40 grams at a time. It just doesnt make sense..If that was true the human species would have went extinct back in the caveman days.

actually the human body is trained to make more with less, not more with more. Which is why cavemen lived and evolved...Think about a survival situation in the desert or wherever. You can live off of minimal calories and food, just need some water and thats it. The body can manipulate itself into a survival mode where only the most needed pathways are maintained

after watching this video im pretty speechless...whats the point. Do natural shows really get much attention? Im not trying to offend anyone, but i cant remember the last natural bodybuilding client i had nor show ive been to. I dont think they needed to make a dvd devoted to this either...id rather watch p90x, sorry...he did all of this cause he was a dork in HS? cmon man, do things you love, not to prove a point.

I like Layne to a certain extent. He's a smart guy, I'll give him that. But I don't think it's all practical knowledge. Yes, he's a natural bodybuilder with sponsors, but he's missing out on so much more by staying "natural." I just am not impressed with his physique or how much of a wise ass he comes off as. Everytime I hear him talk, I feel like he's undermining people by talking over their heads. I just wish he'd talk in a way that people could truly understand. Maybe it's just over my head, or it's truly the fact that he tries to use book terms and all that shit.

I dont know where to start. People start throwing out credentials like it means something. Im a doctorate too. I dont think it makes me more special than the next guy, so sorry mickdoo, that means shit to me about layne. Ive met plenty of doctors(MD, DO, PhD Nutrition) that i dont agree with one bit, but hey im not going to preach like Im the best because i know im not. I do know that i have plenty of experience with athletes from HS to Olympic level and the real world is just what you said. Trial and error, play with the macros. I just hate when people say they have proven this or that and let me show you how ive debunked it...truth is no one knows for sure. If they did we'd be further along...so again i agree with trial and error

Nair, you can increase it by adding digestive enzymes and giving your body the tools to utilize more protein. Gear and hgh will help you take advantage of more protein through the amplification as you have said, but i leaning towards saying they do help increase utilization as well. When i refer to 1%ers, it means the top 1% of athletes in any given sport. See i know 1 guy in the NFL in particular. He eats KFC all day long, maybe 2x per day, not an ounce of fat to him and he quite large at 225lbs.

Another example would be to look at some prisoners in the county jail. Big, strong, guys. They sure arent getting 1-1.5gr their bodyweight in protein yet they have those properties.

The more you post, the more I appreciate your presence here. You really add a lot to the discussion board. I don't say that simply because we agree in an instance or two, but because you are a) informed, and b) reason intelligibly, and c) poses a wealth of knowledge between your experience as a professional and the work you do with nutrition and BBing, independently and otherwise (Inc work with Phill Hernon, among others).

Oh, and you're a bit on the bulky side and I like boys with muscle :kiss:

you should of thrown it out the window you would be doing everyone a favor. Regardless if you agree or disagree. The myth of 40 grams or less has been circulating since the 80's. Layne has a PHD in Nutrition. This is different than say a certificate in Nutritional science, heh. Most important part I got out of it is requirement for everyone are different, regarding all macro's. Whatever works best threw trial and error seems to be spot on.

Dude, trust me, if you were standing in front of it I would. This guy is smart to the typical dumb shit—you fit that bill nicely. No ability to evaluate information critically, nor do you show even a slight ability to make reasonable inferences.

A PhD often speaks much of one's ethos, but a whole hell of a lot more goes into being an authority than that alone. I won't go into detail because it's not worth my time and in the end, I don't think you'd grasp the whole idea in the long run. Suffice it so say, Lane may have a PhD from UI, however he has yet to publish anything other than a dissertation.

Additionally, and much more importantly, his claims go right against the status quo. Do you know what that means? That means thousands of people have demonstrated that he IS WRONG. It takes more than earning a PhD (less than a year ago by the way!) to "debunk" a scientifically demonstrated, and widely accepted notion. Oh and HOW did it get to that status? Results have been repeated and confirmed by thousands in and among the field.

Myth? Please, look up the work "myth" Un-fucking-believable!

Last edited:
Everything in this game is about macros, and how they relate to YOU. People that come up with a strict diet in terms of absolute number of calories per day and protein grams per day are missing the big picture.
Once you get the macros right, the only thing left is hormones. Then you will build muscle while losing fat.

You guys are some funny fuckers ill tell ya that much, and Nair "Oh, and you're a bit on the bulky side and I like boys with muscle" realy? lmao

All I know is I down 50-60grams of protien per shake, and my body is defianly utalizing all of it, then again im not the average person

You guys are some funny fuckers ill tell ya that much, and Nair "Oh, and you're a bit on the bulky side and I like boys with muscle" realy? lmao

All I know is I down 50-60grams of protien per shake, and my body is defianly utalizing all of it, then again im not the average person

What you thought you were my only one? HA! Get real buddy! I don't believe in manogomy bud.

actually the human body is trained to make more with less, not more with more. Which is why cavemen lived and evolved...Think about a survival situation in the desert or wherever. You can live off of minimal calories and food, just need some water and thats it. The body can manipulate itself into a survival mode where only the most needed pathways are maintained

I get what your saying 100%..but lets take this situation..
Your in that same survival mode..havent eaten in a week...you happen to come upon some freshly killed meat and a pile of fruit..your digging in and loving it...
Now... are you saying the body is only gonna utilize 35 grams of that protein you just ingested for repair and maintence of its tissues?
Always a good topic and I appreciate the discussion..

My 2 cents which is enough to get me in-trouble. I didnt read everyones post and I fell asleep during the radio piece. Now from my perspective, which I deal with plenty of GI docs and you guys know my history. Every persons body is different and every system functions slightly different and we all all products of our environment as well as genetics. Now, your body "should not" be capable of assimilating, utilizing anything above ~30 grams per sitting and that is not including whether its super soluble like whey. If its mixed with fats, (ie.. food) then its not being proccessed as fast. It must go through several breakdown processes before hitting the duodenum and going through the liver. Think first-pass affect. Now, please understand my viewpoint. I think if its mixed with fats or a lot of water, then bottom line 40-50 grams may get more utilized than 30 grams. your body uses this protein (aminos) for many functions, not just muscle. I think you dump, and loose more than you are thinking. I think I have a decent grasp and anatomy and phys with this but Im not infalable. I just disagree with anyone thinking they are absorbing and using more than 30 grams (fast) already liquid at any given time. Im open to debate so that I may learn and grow just like you guys.
Thanks

Should be simple to get some Nitrogen test strips and do a quick urine check after ingesting 60-80grams of Pro. at a sitting...
I can tell you from personal experience that I used to follow the 30 or so grams at a time protocall..My growth had slowed down..I started banging out 60-80 grams at a time and boom, all kinds of new mass...and this is training Natty too..

+ nitrogen balance can be achieved without a lot of protein. Myth at best really. body breaking down muscle tissue can casue the strips to do that. Again, i dont think there is a right or wrong here. I think the enzymes like lipase and others have to be there and granted they can be if your body starts to produce more bc your constantly introfducing more protein, (adaptation) but I feel that in any given time, 30 grams going through your liver will not get used. My (rep) thoughts only. I cant stress enough that also using AAS and other factors greatly changes this but your organs are your organs and stomach, so forth. I will listen to the radio talk show listed at the beginning this weekend and learn more before I put my mouth out there too much but I think Im semi on the money if you will

Back