front squats...

nuknuk

MuscleChemistry member
Do you think they are worth the time, or do the same as regular back squat?

for me, performing front squats is more "natural" than rear squats.
With rear squats, I have to put plates under my heels or go real wide. With front squats, no matter where my legs are spaced, the weights stays on my heels and in the legs.

i'm long torsoed so either way i have to put a 2x4 under my heels......front squats choke me too much that i run out of oxygen before my quads get tired.....i'm fairly strong at them and can easily use 275-315 for sets of 6-8 at anytime.....so i'd say i get more out of high rep high bar back squats ATG though

When front squatting my quads actually get fairly close to failure whereas when I back squat my lower back is the limiting factor....i have a tall torso so front squat seems more natural myself too....usually use 315-365 for 6-10.....got a friend who did 405 for a solid 6 and 495 for 3 at a body weight of 240....he also obviously has amazing quads....I don't think I could hold 405 up for very long honestly

When front squatting my quads actually get fairly close to failure whereas when I back squat my lower back is the limiting factor....i have a tall torso so front squat seems more natural myself too....usually use 315-365 for 6-10.....got a friend who did 405 for a solid 6 and 495 for 3 at a body weight of 240....he also obviously has amazing quads....I don't think I could hold 405 up for very long honestly

That's interesting. I'm the exact opposite. Front square wear my back out before I can even feel my quads begin to tire. I like narrow stance back squats.

I've been doing more front squats lately, and I'm finding that is what is working the best to build my scrawny legs. I've essentially been using that exercise to re-train myself in the way my muscles fire because in doing normal squats, I'd get all the tension going down to my knees instead of my quads. Now that I'm getting the focus into my quads, I'm finally starting to make some progress with my legs.

That's interesting. I'm the exact opposite. Front square wear my back out before I can even feel my quads begin to tire. I like narrow stance back squats.

I think it has a lot to do with body type i have a long torso...so back squats put a lot of stress on my lower back since the bar is further forward away from my hips than for most people...where as front squats I stay more upright

Back