Larry Wheels On Not Doing ‘Extreme’ Men’s Open: ‘Classic Physique Feels Like an Art Form’

Muscle Insider

Multi-talented Larry Wheels is a popular figure in the fitness space with experience competing in multiple strength-based sports. He is gearing up for a move to bodybuilding in the Classic Physique division. In a recent post made on Instagram, Wheels revealed why he didn’t choose the Men’s Open category.
Larry Wheels first gained attention for his incredible feats of strength as a budding powerlifting sensation in 2017. He set the World Record of 2,275 pounds on the squat, bench, and deadlift without wraps in the 275-pound weight class, a record that was broken by Zac Meyers last month. In 2018, he made his amateur bodybuilding debut at the NPC Gold Coast Muscle Classic and scored gold overall.
Following a back injury, Wheels decided to quit steroids in August 2022. He chose to get on TRT (testosterone replacement therapy) as he slowly cut down on other performance-enhancing drugs. He revealed he’d switch to the Classic Physique division earlier this year. Open sensation Andrew Jacked and William Bonac partnered with Wheels to help him sharpen his posing abilities after the conclusion of the 2023 Arnold Classic.
Wheels left the fans stunned with a shredded physique update in prep for his highly awaited move to the Classic Physique division four months ago. He believes he’s already packing enough muscle on his massive frame and could hold his own with the use of TRT alone. Wheels showed off his insane bicep peak in an impressive physique update and posing session ahead of the transition.
The 28-year-old smashed a heavy set of 150-pound incline dumbbell shoulder presses and posted a ripped physique update two months ago. He added he was not lifting heavy weights in an effort to get his waist down. Then, he performed a massive 405-pound bench press for 22 reps.

Larry Wheels crushed a 150-pound incline dumbbell bench press for a taxing 25 reps last month. He also gave fans a sneak peek at the package he would bring in his Classic Physique debut.
‘Classic Physique Feels Like an Art Form’: Larry Wheels on Not Doing ‘Extreme’ Open
In a recent Instagram post, Larry Wheels revealed his reasons for choosing Classic Physique over the Men’s Open division. He favored Classic Physique due to its artistic touch and less extreme requirements.
“I’m trying to break into the Classic bodybuilding division so I’m dropping some weight, trying to get a bit healthier, get that tight snatched waist,” said Wheels. “It’s a big change from being a powerlifter, strongman, strength athlete, where being lean was just a byproduct of good genes and hard training but it was never a priority until now.
“The shift, because that’s just the direction the industry is going and also people like Joshua Manoi who lives out here in LA, very beautiful physique, very graceful when he poses. It feels more like an art form versus Open bodybuilding it feels like mass monsters. And I say that with respect to them because I know what it takes to get that far. It’s just I can’t put myself to that extreme to be where they’re at. And that’s not what I want for myself nor the message I want to pass on to my audience.
“I find that with Classic bodybuilding, I can use far less PEDs such as just TRT for example, and I can still be competitive, have a beautiful physique, still be super strong, and it’s still enhanced lifting and an enhanced lifestyle but a much healthier approach.”

Larry Wheels demolished a huge set of 500-pound paused bench presses with the encouragement of powerlifting legend CT Fletcher two weeks ago. Then, he collaborated with Stefi Cohen for an intense training session where he crushed a 405-pound bench press.
RELATED: Eddie Hall and Larry Wheels Crush an Intense Boulder Shoulder Workout
Based on his track record, Wheels has a good chance of finding success and fans are excited to see how he looks on stage.
Published: 12 July, 2023 | 9:42 PM EDT

Collage-Maker-12-Jul-2023-12-15-PM-1508.jpg
Multi-talented Larry Wheels is a popular figure in the fitness space with experience competing in multiple strength-based sports. He is gearing up for a move to bodybuilding in the Classic Physique division. In a recent post made on Instagram, Wheels revealed why he didn’t choose the Men’s Open category.

Larry Wheels first gained attention for his incredible feats of strength as a budding powerlifting sensation in 2017. He set the World Record of 2,275 pounds on the squat, bench, and deadlift without wraps in the 275-pound weight class, a record that was broken by Zac Meyers last month. In 2018, he made his amateur bodybuilding debut at the NPC Gold Coast Muscle Classic and scored gold overall.

Following a back injury, Wheels decided to quit steroids in August 2022. He chose to get on TRT (testosterone replacement therapy) as he slowly cut down on other performance-enhancing drugs. He revealed he’d switch to the Classic Physique division earlier this year. Open sensation Andrew Jacked and William Bonac partnered with Wheels to help him sharpen his posing abilities after the conclusion of the 2023 Arnold Classic.

Wheels left the fans stunned with a shredded physique update in prep for his highly awaited move to the Classic Physique division four months ago. He believes he’s already packing enough muscle on his massive frame and could hold his own with the use of TRT alone. Wheels showed off his insane bicep peak in an impressive physique update and posing session ahead of the transition.

The 28-year-old smashed a heavy set of 150-pound incline dumbbell shoulder presses and posted a ripped physique update two months ago. He added he was not lifting heavy weights in an effort to get his waist down. Then, he performed a massive 405-pound bench press for 22 reps.

Larry Wheels crushed a 150-pound incline dumbbell bench press for a taxing 25 reps last month. He also gave fans a sneak peek at the package he would bring in his Classic Physique debut.

‘Classic Physique Feels Like an Art Form’: Larry Wheels on Not Doing ‘Extreme’ Open
In a recent Instagram post, Larry Wheels revealed his reasons for choosing Classic Physique over the Men’s Open division. He favored Classic Physique due to its artistic touch and less extreme requirements.

“I’m trying to break into the Classic bodybuilding division so I’m dropping some weight, trying to get a bit healthier, get that tight snatched waist,” said Wheels. “It’s a big change from being a powerlifter, strongman, strength athlete, where being lean was just a byproduct of good genes and hard training but it was never a priority until now.

“The shift, because that’s just the direction the industry is going and also people like Joshua Manoi who lives out here in LA, very beautiful physique, very graceful when he poses. It feels more like an art form versus Open bodybuilding it feels like mass monsters. And I say that with respect to them because I know what it takes to get that far. It’s just I can’t put myself to that extreme to be where they’re at. And that’s not what I want for myself nor the message I want to pass on to my audience.

“I find that with Classic bodybuilding, I can use far less PEDs such as just TRT for example, and I can still be competitive, have a beautiful physique, still be super strong, and it’s still enhanced lifting and an enhanced lifestyle but a much healthier approach.”

[/quote]

Larry Wheels demolished a huge set of 500-pound paused bench presses with the encouragement of powerlifting legend CT Fletcher two weeks ago. Then, he collaborated with Stefi Cohen for an intense training session where he crushed a 405-pound bench press.

RELATED: Eddie Hall and Larry Wheels Crush an Intense Boulder Shoulder Workout

Based on his track record, Wheels has a good chance of finding success and fans are excited to see how he looks on stage.

Published: 12 July, 2023 | 9:42 PM EDT

Click here to view the article.

Back