Muscle Growth for Beginners with Anabolics, Diet and Training.

C'mon, surely you read about my Supreme court adventures on ProMuscle as I mentioned it there, I think??!!

Anyway, you will get to read all about it in my new book. It will finally be out in about 2 months.

LOL hey buddy I was just kidding didn't you see the smiley face. :) Actually I missed a few months I think when most of that was going on. I also don't like to pry into people's business but glad to hear it when it is posted.

Take care and let me know when you want to get a dozen houses or so I can look around for you.

CROWLER

I've been on a HIT type of workout for almost a month now. 3-4 days/week (lifting every other day, basically), full body workout, one work set per muscle group, 8-10 reps, to failure....as much as possible. I'm not doing much in the way of warm-ups, except I do 3 sets of leg extensions to warm up my knees before my squat set.

Here's my thoughts, from my lowly 1-month of experience, on this type of workout:

First, if you are used to lifting 5-6 days/week, it's a HUGE mental hurdle to get over. Second, GET OVER IT. Like the guys who use this routine religiously say, if you do it 'right', it's a killer workout. I've definitely seen strength increases and mass in the first month....not major, but it is getting me past my previous sticking points and that was the purpose for me. I'm 38 years old, 6'3", 245lb, been lifting forever, and hate those sticking points which inevitably occur.

Third, you NEED a workout partner to make this work right. Doing each exercise to failure really requires a partner to help you eek out that last rep....especially on the big muscle group exercises. I rarely get to workout with a partner, but when I do, it's WAY more exhausting because of those last reps. I can't do alone. What I sometimes do to simulate a workout partner, is one or two drop-sets (taking off a few pounds of weight...works best on a machine vs. free weights); this really emulates what a workout partner does for you.....helps you get that last rep. in and go to failure.

Fourth, it takes longer than the 45 minutes that is so often talked about. I find that I spend a lot of time just setting up the exercise.....loading plates, adjusting machines. Makes sense, I'm doing about 12 exercises, each requiring a different apparatus, machine, weight. It usually takes me at least an hour.....but not much more than an hour and fifteen or twenty. By then, I'm wiped.

Couple other comments. Diet.....haven't quite figured this one out. I'm definitely NOT as hungry as I am when I did the 5-6 days/week routine. I have a natural tendency to put on fat pretty easily (f*ck!), so I haven't been eating as much as I did before. My body weight is still up, and my strength increases are coming pretty good....so I'm not going to worry about it too much. I'll still eat every 2-3 hours, but just not eat quite as much.

Oh, I'm not taking any supps/gear now. Just vitamins and BCAAs.

I'm going to continue this at least another month.

Thanx BigA for the original post here.....even tho it says it's for 'beginners', it can be helpful for anybody I think.

Thanx.

thate1 said:
How would you extend this from a 3 day to a 4 day program?

Well, extending it to a 4 day program, which I assume you mean Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri, will defeat the purpose of the program.

But if you want 4 day splits, then I would go for Chest/Shoulders, Quads/Hams, Abd, Back, Calves/Bis/Tris.

buildit303 said:
I've been on a HIT type of workout for almost a month now. 3-4 days/week (lifting every other day, basically), full body workout, one work set per muscle group, 8-10 reps, to failure....as much as possible. I'm not doing much in the way of warm-ups, except I do 3 sets of leg extensions to warm up my knees before my squat set.

Here's my thoughts, from my lowly 1-month of experience, on this type of workout:

First, if you are used to lifting 5-6 days/week, it's a HUGE mental hurdle to get over. Second, GET OVER IT. Like the guys who use this routine religiously say, if you do it 'right', it's a killer workout. I've definitely seen strength increases and mass in the first month....not major, but it is getting me past my previous sticking points and that was the purpose for me. I'm 38 years old, 6'3", 245lb, been lifting forever, and hate those sticking points which inevitably occur.

Third, you NEED a workout partner to make this work right. Doing each exercise to failure really requires a partner to help you eek out that last rep....especially on the big muscle group exercises. I rarely get to workout with a partner, but when I do, it's WAY more exhausting because of those last reps. I can't do alone. What I sometimes do to simulate a workout partner, is one or two drop-sets (taking off a few pounds of weight...works best on a machine vs. free weights); this really emulates what a workout partner does for you.....helps you get that last rep. in and go to failure.

Fourth, it takes longer than the 45 minutes that is so often talked about. I find that I spend a lot of time just setting up the exercise.....loading plates, adjusting machines. Makes sense, I'm doing about 12 exercises, each requiring a different apparatus, machine, weight. It usually takes me at least an hour.....but not much more than an hour and fifteen or twenty. By then, I'm wiped.

Couple other comments. Diet.....haven't quite figured this one out. I'm definitely NOT as hungry as I am when I did the 5-6 days/week routine. I have a natural tendency to put on fat pretty easily (f*ck!), so I haven't been eating as much as I did before. My body weight is still up, and my strength increases are coming pretty good....so I'm not going to worry about it too much. I'll still eat every 2-3 hours, but just not eat quite as much.

Oh, I'm not taking any supps/gear now. Just vitamins and BCAAs.

I'm going to continue this at least another month.

Thanx BigA for the original post here.....even tho it says it's for 'beginners', it can be helpful for anybody I think.

Thanx.

Agreed. Partners are extremely usefull. If you dont' have one, do all your exercises in a cage.

i'm a beginner..havent done a cycle or anything..still debating wether to go on one.....everybody is giving me different info..big A u seem to know alot..so i'll ask u...i'm not big on injecting anything...is it possible to do an all oral cycle? if so..give me an example.....thanks..

Alteration

Big A
Ive have been following this plan for years. Right now my work schedule has screwed me. I am working 4 10hr shifts, Mon -Thurs but it is out of town. So I get up at 4 leave at 6 and get home at 6:30. Construction work. Could I Go 3 on and 4 off until my shift gets back to normal. Maybe 8 weeks. Please help

gunsmoke said:
i'm a beginner..havent done a cycle or anything..still debating wether to go on one.....everybody is giving me different info..big A u seem to know alot..so i'll ask u...i'm not big on injecting anything...is it possible to do an all oral cycle? if so..give me an example.....thanks..

No, oral only cycle will not work.

fina1 said:
Big A
Ive have been following this plan for years. Right now my work schedule has screwed me. I am working 4 10hr shifts, Mon -Thurs but it is out of town. So I get up at 4 leave at 6 and get home at 6:30. Construction work. Could I Go 3 on and 4 off until my shift gets back to normal. Maybe 8 weeks. Please help

You can get away with that, especially as it is not for a long time, but you need to be VERY careful with your recovery. Lots of protein, lots of sleep and ideally gear.

Back