Serge Nubret 20 x 20 training method

So I tried the Serge Nubret training method today which is one or two exercises at 15-20 sets for 20 reps each. I started out on the barbel incline. Then moved to the incline machine to finish off since I don't have a spotter. Then I said fuck it. I'll do the Serge method today. I noticed on the first 8 or so sets my chest was burning. Then after that I had to use less and less weight and my chest was probably not even contracting anymore it was all arms and delts and traps. Then my back was starting to spasm a little.

I messed around with resting one minute to 2 minutes. I felt more burn with less rest. But I could lift more weight if I rested 2 minutes obviously. It was definitely interesting. I would have to say I stressed every muscle completely used for incline bench. I started out around 225 and ended at around 80lbs for my last sets. Have you guys ever tried this method? It took me 55 minutes to finsh 20 sets. Reading the rules for the method again you are supposed to rest 1 minute max. That makes sense. And he only did 20 sets with flat barbell bench. Everything else was like 8 sets of 12-15 reps. He also supposedly never went to failure. Just the biggest pump he could get. I went to failure on almost every set after 10 so I guess I did it wrong.

To accomplish his physique Serge Nubret actually didn’t lift heavy weights. He lifted moderate weights for higher reps and very high volume. The goal of Serge’s routine is to force as much blood into the muscle as possible for as long as possible, bringing vital nutrients into the muscle to aid growth.

That's some major volume training. I've thought about doing something like that for my legs. I'm not sure what else to try to get them to grow.

I bet doing this on squat day would be a real bastard! I will give this a try one of these days, at the very least it is good for a change up.

So if you were to do this again would you start at a much lower weight? What do you think is a good weight to start with? 50% of your 1RM?

He had one of the best physics ever. I think he was better on stage in Pumping Iron than Arnold. He should have been Mr O in 1975.

So I tried the Serge Nubret training method today which is one or two exercises at 15-20 sets for 20 reps each. I started out on the barbel incline. Then moved to the incline machine to finish off since I don't have a spotter. Then I said fuck it. I'll do the Serge method today. I noticed on the first 8 or so sets my chest was burning. Then after that I had to use less and less weight and my chest was probably not even contracting anymore it was all arms and delts and traps. Then my back was starting to spasm a little.

I messed around with resting one minute to 2 minutes. I felt more burn with less rest. But I could lift more weight if I rested 2 minutes obviously. It was definitely interesting. I would have to say I stressed every muscle completely used for incline bench. I started out around 225 and ended at around 80lbs for my last sets. Have you guys ever tried this method? It took me 55 minutes to finsh 20 sets. Reading the rules for the method again you are supposed to rest 1 minute max. That makes sense. And he only did 20 sets with flat barbell bench. Everything else was like 8 sets of 12-15 reps. He also supposedly never went to failure. Just the biggest pump he could get. I went to failure on almost every set after 10 so I guess I did it wrong.

sounds intense man!!! and yeah I've done some crazy shit kind of like this, not exactly but close, always good to shock the system once in a while with this crazy shit!

Surge is in my top 5 all time B.B.ers Good chest to waiste Ratio, Great Delts...When I first started lifting ,In the Arnold/Sergio Era, I thought Maybe A body like Surges was Attainable, Turns out it was (minus the tiny waiste...lol)

Last edited:
Back