Syringes/Insulin - Legal or Not?

States that require a prescription for insulin and/or syringes

State

Insulin Syringes

Alabama No No
Alaska Yes Yes Some pharmacies may sell either without an RX
Arizona No No Even though permitted, some pharmacies require an RX for both.
Arkansas No No
California No No Even though permitted, some pharmacies require an RX for both.
Colorado No No Even though permitted, some pharmacies require an RX for both.
Connecticut No Yes Residents mat get a 10-day supply of syringes without an RX.
Delaware No Yes
District of Columbia No No No for syringes if you have a diabetes mellitus ID if syringes are purchased with insulin.
Florida No Yes/No Some counties may require an RX for syringes; most do not.
Georgia No No
Hawaii No Unknown
Idaho No No Photo identification may be required for syringes.
Illinois No No You do need a prescription to purchase more than 20 syringes at one time.
Indiana No No You must sign a register for the purchase of syringes.
Iowa No No
Kansas No Yes/No Most pharmacies will sell syringes if they are being purchased with insulin.
Kentucky No No
Louisiana No No
Maine No Yes
Maryland No No You must sign a register for the purchase of syringes.
Massachusetts No Yes
Michigan No No
Minnesota No No Some pharmacies may require a prescription for insulin that has unlimited refills (life time Rx).
Mississippi No No
Missouri No No
Montana No No
Nebraska No No
Nevada No No
New Hampshire No No
New Jersey No Yes The requirement for an Rx for syringes may be waived with photo identification.
New Mexico No No
New York No No Pharmacies can dispense up to 10 syringes at their discretion without a prescription but you must be 18 years or older.
North Carolina No No
North Dakota No No
Ohio No No
Oklahoma No No/Yes Some local areas may require an Rx for syringes.
Oregon No No
Pennsylvania No Yes
Rhode Island No No
South Carolina No No
South Dakota No No
Tennessee No No
Texas No No/Yes Some regions may require an Rx for syringes.
Utah No No/Yes Some pharmacies will require an Rx for syringes and some pharmacies may refuse to sell syringes after 10 p.m. even if you have a prescription on file.
Vermont No No
Virginia No/Yes No
Washington (state) No No
West Virginia No No
Wisconsin No No
Wyoming No No

I dont understand how a pharmacy can say no to anyone who trys buying insulin, i mean if my grandma is visiting from out of state and needs emergency insulin then what?

Skip buyin.. Go for free or donation of your choice at local needle exchange and most larger cities have a place ran by some diabetic organization where you can go if the Pharm wants a script . Most people diabetic take their kit with them anyhow , it's kinda habit..

My state allows 10 with no script...however it is at the discretion of the pharmacist which many people don't know.

In 10 out of 10 situations I have gone to the pharmacy when on HRT and asked to purchase the 10 that I am entitled to without presenting a script. In every case a manager comes out looks me up and down and denies me...

At which time I reveal I have a script, force them to look my info up in the computer and then I buy as many as I want to their displeasure. Then I request contact information for their superiors...(just because) at which time they become extremely nice and compliant...

Fact is it is a form of harassment to people like you and I.

Here's a goodone.. I was at Lake tahoe Nevada . Lake is split in half with California .. I needed 3 pins to use for shooting air into worms to fish for these mackinaw trout lurkin on bottom of lake to float bait naturally.. I go into walgreen Nevada .. Nope need a script.. I drive one mile to walgreen in lake tahoe calif.. Ask and guy gives me them for free cause it's too much hassle to ring up and I had a 50$ bill.. Lol..

States that require a prescription for insulin and/or syringes

State

Insulin Syringes

Alabama No No
Alaska Yes Yes Some pharmacies may sell either without an RX
Arizona No No Even though permitted, some pharmacies require an RX for both.
Arkansas No No
California No No Even though permitted, some pharmacies require an RX for both.
Colorado No No Even though permitted, some pharmacies require an RX for both.
Connecticut No Yes Residents mat get a 10-day supply of syringes without an RX.
Delaware No Yes
District of Columbia No No No for syringes if you have a diabetes mellitus ID if syringes are purchased with insulin.
Florida No Yes/No Some counties may require an RX for syringes; most do not.
Georgia No No
Hawaii No Unknown
Idaho No No Photo identification may be required for syringes.
Illinois No No You do need a prescription to purchase more than 20 syringes at one time.
Indiana No No You must sign a register for the purchase of syringes.
Iowa No No
Kansas No Yes/No Most pharmacies will sell syringes if they are being purchased with insulin.
Kentucky No No
Louisiana No No
Maine No Yes
Maryland No No You must sign a register for the purchase of syringes.
Massachusetts No Yes
Michigan No No
Minnesota No No Some pharmacies may require a prescription for insulin that has unlimited refills (life time Rx).
Mississippi No No
Missouri No No
Montana No No
Nebraska No No
Nevada No No
New Hampshire No No
New Jersey No Yes The requirement for an Rx for syringes may be waived with photo identification.
New Mexico No No
New York No No Pharmacies can dispense up to 10 syringes at their discretion without a prescription but you must be 18 years or older.
North Carolina No No
North Dakota No No
Ohio No No
Oklahoma No No/Yes Some local areas may require an Rx for syringes.
Oregon No No
Pennsylvania No Yes
Rhode Island No No
South Carolina No No
South Dakota No No
Tennessee No No
Texas No No/Yes Some regions may require an Rx for syringes.
Utah No No/Yes Some pharmacies will require an Rx for syringes and some pharmacies may refuse to sell syringes after 10 p.m. even if you have a prescription on file.
Vermont No No
Virginia No/Yes No
Washington (state) No No
West Virginia No No
Wisconsin No No
Wyoming No No

bump it, if any changes in the law have occured since this post, i will update this post, but i know alot of gys are looking up whether or not it is legal to buy insulin syringes at their local pharmacy, or if they can purchase intra muscular needles. I do know www.sterilesyringes.com carries both if you want to order online.

As far as I know...in states where you can legaly buy insulin without a script, you can only buy R-type insulin. R stands for "Regular". Brands like Novalin, Humalin, etc. I believe you still need a prescription to buy insulin analogs such as Novolog, Humalog, etc.

Back