The 8 Best Commercial Exercise Bikes for 2024, Tested by Our Certified Fitness Pros

Muscle Insider

Commercial cardio machines are designed with heavy use in mind, making them ideal for commercial gyms, communal fitness areas, and houses full of cyclists. The best commercial exercise bikes, like the best exercise bikes, can withstand constant use while offering a variety of training options that can accommodate a steady stream of users. With durable steel frames and...
The post The 8 Best Commercial Exercise Bikes for 2024, Tested by Our Certified Fitness Pros appeared first on BarBend.

Commercial cardio machines are designed with heavy use in mind, making them ideal for commercial gyms, communal fitness areas, and houses full of cyclists. The best commercial exercise bikes, like the best exercise bikes, can withstand constant use while offering a variety of training options that can accommodate a steady stream of users. With durable steel frames and heavy flywheels, they’re as suited for intense HIIT sessions as they are long, leisurely rides.

Our team of experts have assembled our picks for the best commercial options on the market, but before you can find your match made in cardio heaven, there’s a few questions you should ask. Who will be climbing in the saddle? What space do you see it calling home? Maybe you’re looking for a new addition to your commercial gym or hoping to beef up the fitness center at an assisted-living facility. Or maybe your home gym just needs a high-quality bike that can last for years. Take a look at our top picks for commercial exercise bikes to see if one of these options checks all your boxes.

The 8 Best Commercial Exercise Bikes for 2024

About Our Expert:

This article has been reviewed by Amanda Capritto, CPT, CF-L1, CES, CSNC a certified personal trainer, certified nutrition coach, and CrossFit Level 1 Trainer. She reviewed the research we cite to help ensure we’re providing helpful, accurate descriptions and recommendations.

How We Tested and Chose the Best Commercial Exercise Bikes

When the BarBend team of fitness professionals hops into the saddle, we bring our years of experience as certified personal trainers, USA Weightlifting coaches, and gym owners to every ride. We’ve spun the dual-sided pedals on over 20 bikes and worked to document our experiences on top models from leading brands to back you up as you think about making this investment in your fitness.

We took note of each bike’s construction, the types of training they support, and whether or not we really needed that huge touchscreen. During testing, we assigned ratings of 1 (ouch) to 5 (oh, yeah) across 12 different categories, including value, footprint, durability, and tech capabilities. Here are a few of the key factors that informed our picks.

Longevity

With such heavy usage, commercial exercise bikes need to be able to hold up over time. When making our picks, we scrutinized each bike’s construction and only included options with steel frames and weight capacities between 250 and 350 pounds that can stand up to constant use.

[Related: The 9 Best Exercise Bikes For Heavy People]

Most of our picks feature flywheels over 30 pounds, as heavier, more durable flywheels can provide smoother resistance adjustments and hold up better over time. The weight capacities on these bikes range from 250 pounds (on our compact pick) to 350 pounds (the top of the average range of 300 to 350 pounds).

nordictrack-s22i-jake-riding-bike.jpg
BarBend lead video reviewer Jake Herod, NASM-CPT, riding the NordicTrack S22i.

All of our picks (save for the air bike), use magnetic resistance, which we’ve found requires less maintenance over time than friction systems that utilize brake pads. Since the resistance is regulated by magnets on both sides of the flywheel, these heavy parts don’t come into contact, prolonging their lifespan. (1)

Versatility

In a commercial setting where multiple people will be using an exercise bike, it’s important that it can support multiple types of training, from endurance to intervals and sprint workouts. Since users of a multitude of fitness levels and goals may be climbing abroad, we sought to include models with wide resistance ranges, integrated programming, and, in some cases, incline and decline functionality. We also included an air bike and a recumbent bike for those looking for a CrossFit-friendly model and one that’s easier on the joints.

nordictrack-s22i-jake-adjusting-resistance.jpg
BarBend lead video reviewer Jake Herod, NASM-CPT, adjusting the resistance on the NordicTrack S22i.

You’ll also find a variety of footprints and display sizes to suit your training space and clientele. Whether you need bikes that can easily roll to make space for ellipticals or treadmills, or you’re making the bike a permanent fixture in your gym, we’ve got you covered.

Price

While the heavy-duty builds and tech features of commercial exercise bikes typically mean they cost more than at-home models, we worked to include a few budget options that we think can stand up to heavy use.

[Related: The 8 Best Exercise Bikes Under $500]

Our picks range from $279 to $3,079, but most fall between $1,000 and $2,000. Options at the lower end of that range may lack the tech and conveniences of more expensive models, but they’ll still make you sweat.

Best Overall Commercial Exercise Bike: NordicTrack Commercial S22i

NordicTrack Commercial S22i

NordicTrack-S22i-Studio-Bike-Coupon-275x275-1.png

NordicTrack Commercial S22i

The NordicTrack Commercial S22i is high-tech and high quality, featuring both advancements like a 22” touchscreen display, and solid specs like 24 levels of quiet magnetic resistance.

Shop NordicTrack

Specs

• Price: $1,999

• Dimensions: 58? H x 61? L x 22? W

• Display: 22” HD touchscreen

• Weight: 205lbs

• Resistance type: 24 levels of magnetic resistance

• Weight Capacity: 350lbs

Pros

• With its steel frame, 32-pound flywheel, and 10-year warranty, this well-rounded bike is in it for the long haul.

• Use iFIT to hop into a live studio class or follow scenic rides from around the world via the 22-inch HD touchscreen.

• The -10 percent decline and 20 percent incline are uncommon among exercise bikes — even commercial options.

Cons

• Between its 205-pound overall weight and 9.42-square-feet footprint, moving the bike around can be difficult.

• Its $1,999 price tag is at the top of the average price range for commercial bikes — $1,200 to $2,000.

The NordicTrack S22i is our pick for the best overall commercial exercise bike because it has the build and features to make it one of the centerpieces of your gym. The steel frame can support users up to 350 pounds, and its 32-pound flywheel allows for smooth adjustments across its 24 resistance levels. Over 17,000 live and on-demand iFIT classes are available via the 22-inch HD touchscreen, which users can tilt and rotate to for off-bike workouts like strength training, yoga, or Pilates.

nordictrack-s22i-bike-riding-bike.jpg
Our tester riding the NordicTrack S22i.

Even among commercial bikes, incline and capabilities are rare — much less a -10-percent to 20-percent range. This feature can help riders trying to mimic outdoor rides during cardio workouts at home or in the gym, and is especially useful given iFIT’s automatic resistance control. While you can adjust the resistance with the buttons on the handlebars, the knob on the frame, or from the screen, the resistance can also be adjusted hands-free during a live class or as you follow a scenic route. That way, you can just focus on your sweat.

nordictrack-s22i-jake-selecting-ifit-class.jpg
BarBend lead video reviewer Jake Herod, NASM-CPT, selecting an iFIT class on the NordicTrack S22i.

Certified personal trainer Kate Meier particularly enjoyed her ride in Hawaii, following the rises and dips along the coast. “Having incline and decline really brought that Hawaii ride to life,” she said, rating the dynamic programming on the S22i a 5 out of 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6JbKMsCmG4Video can’t be loaded because JavaScript is disabled: NordicTrack S22i Exercise Bike Review (2022) — Most INTERACTIVE BIKE? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6JbKMsCmG4)

While its $1,999 price tag is at the top of the average price range for commercial bikes — $1,200 to $2,000 — Meier still rated its value 4.5 out of 5. “I mean, this bike has it all. Big touchscreen, incline and decline, and the price is in the Peloton range. Without an iFIT subscription, though, it wouldn’t be very impressive.”

It is a cumbersome machine, though. Between its 205-pound overall weight and the screen throwing off her balance, Meier had trouble moving it around. “There isn’t a handle or obvious place to grab to tilt it,” she pointed out. “Once I did lift it up, the screen kind of threw it off balance.” After rating its footprint and portability 3.5 out of 5, Meier concluded this commercial bike is better off staking out a permanent spot in your gym.

Read our full NordicTrack S22i Exercise Bike Review.

Best Peloton-Alternative Commercial Exercise Bike: ProForm Studio Bike Pro 22

ProForm Studio Bike Pro 22

ProForm-Studio-Bike-Pro-22-275x275-1.jpeg

ProForm Studio Bike Pro 22

The ProForm Studio Bike Pro 22 is a high-tech, high-quality indoor bike. It has a 22” HD touchscreen display that swivels 180 degrees to accommodate workouts both on and off the bike. It comes with a free year of iFit and features silent magnetic resistance making it a great option of in-home use.

Shop ProForm

Specs

• Price: $1,299 — or free with 3-year iFIT membership

• Dimensions: 54” H x 56.5” L x 21.9” W

• Display: 22” HD touchscreen

• Weight: 144lbs

• Resistance: 24 levels of magnetic resistance

• Weight Capacity: 250lbs

Pros

• You can experience iFIT’s 17,000+ live and on-demand classes with top-notch instructors via the immersive 22-inch HD touchscreen.

• ProForm offers the bike for free when you commit to an iFIT subscription for three years — $39.99 per month for 36 months or a one-time $1,404 payment.

• The heavy-duty steel frame and 32-pound flywheel can provide a sturdy and stable ride, with a 10-year frame warranty to back it up.

• Such a heavy flywheel allows for smooth adjustment of the 24 levels of magnetic resistance.

Cons

• The screen made moving it a bit around our gym tough because the large display threw off its balance.

• Its 250-pound weight capacity is 47 pounds less than the Peloton Bike.

If you’ve been hesitant to join Team Peloton, we think the ProForm Studio Bike Pro 22 is the best alternative among commercial exercise bikes. Its 22-inch HD touchscreen is a half-inch larger than the Peloton Bike, and on it you can access more than 17,000 live and on-demand classes via iFIT, which we find to be a worthy competitor to Peloton. Our team consistently rates iFIT’s programming a 5 out of 5. “After all my time using iFIT, I think it has emerged as Peloton’s only true competitor,” said one of our testers.

pro-form-studio-bike-pro-22-selecting-ifit-class.jpg
BarBend reviews writer Matt Cummings selecting an iFIT class on the ProForm Pro Studio Bike Pro 22.

It’s also worth noting that this ProForm machine is actually free with a 3-year iFIT membership. You can either pay over time ($39 per month for 36 months) or all at once ($1,404). A 3-year Peloton membership, meanwhile, comes out to $1,584 — add that onto the $1,445 price tag for the Peloton Bike and that amounts to $3,029, more than $1,500 more than the Studio Bike Pro 22 with three years of iFIT.

[Related: iFit Review – Is Virtual Coaching The New Normal?]

Another tester, a certified personal trainer with hundreds of iFIT workouts under their belt, rated the Studio Bike Pro 22’s value 4 out of 5. “While I’m not sure the actual bike is as nice as the Peloton Bike, getting it along with three years of iFIT obviously increases its value.”

So let’s talk about the actual bike. We love its sturdy steel frame and 32-pound flywheel, which allows for smooth resistance adjustment. When I had the chance to take it for a spin, the build helped it earn a 5 out of 5 for durability from yours truly. There was zero wobble, even at high speeds.

pro-form-studio-bike-pro-22-feet-in-pedals.jpg
BarBend reviews writer Matt Cummings on the ProForm Studio Bike Pro 22.

One area of concern is its 250-pound weight capacity. At 47 pounds less than the Peloton Bike, this is more in line with budget options like its little brother, the ProForm Carbon CX, or the Yosuda YB001R. You’ll also want to be careful when moving it — a 22-inch touchscreen can be cumbersome and awkward during transport.

Read our full ProForm Studio Bike Pro 22 Review.

Best Commercial Air Bike: Assault Fitness AssaultBike Classic

AssaultBike Classic

Assault-AirBike-275x275-1.png

AssaultBike Classic

The Assault AirBike is a moderately priced bike with a solid build that features a powder-coated steel frame. It’s an upright indoor bike with moving arms that’s designed to burn calories and integrate seamlessly into cross-training and interval workouts.

Shop Assault Fitness

Specs

• Price: $699

• Dimensions: 50’’ H x 50.95’’ L x 23.34’’ W

• Display: LCD screen

• Weight: 95.6lbs

• Resistance: Air

• Weight Capacity: 300lbs

Pros

• Its air-powered resistance and moving arms allow for CrossFit-friendly full-body air bike workouts.

• Between its powder-coated steel frame, reinforced pedals, and 20 sealed cartridge bearings, this bike is built to last.

• You can access seven built-in workouts from the LCD display on the console.

Cons

• Compared to belt-driven air bikes, its chain-drive system can be noisy.

• It’s light on tech, with no speakers or Bluetooth compatibility.

The steel frame, adjustable seat, and 300-pound weight capacity of the AssaultBike Classic make it an easy pick for commercial settings filled with a variety of different athletes. You’ll get the durability and longevity in the build, while allowing a wide variety of athletes to get a full-body burn using the moving arms. Its durability and value both earned a 4 out of 5 or higher from our tester. “All of Assault’s bikes are incredibly durable, and given the high-intensity exercises they support, they’re built for heavy use,” they said.

A staple in CrossFit gyms, air bikes serve many purposes. Our expert reviewer, Amanda Capritto, CPT, CF-L1, CES, CSNC, detailed out how they compare with other exercise bikes. “They are great for high-intensity training as well as slow, steady recovery work,” she says. “Compared to regular bikes and indoor bikes, air bikes engage more of the body’s musculature due to the moving arms. The nature of the fan flywheel means that the only limitation in resistance and speed is the exerciser themself.”

When he broke down his experience on the AssaultBike Classic in the video below, Jake Herod, NASM-CNC, felt the burn as well. “Since you are required to use your upper body, you’re going to be burning a lot of extra calories,” he said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok34YSJqQgEVideo can’t be loaded because JavaScript is disabled: Assault AirBike Review (2022) — Feel the BURN? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok34YSJqQgE)

The AssaultBike Classic is built to last, with a powder-coated steel frame and sealed cartridge bearings. Whether it’s in a commercial gym, home gym, or living room, our tester thinks this air bike will hold up for a long time. “The best air bikes can last for years even under heavy usage,” they explained.

While its chain drive system may be noisier than a belt-driven competitor like the Rogue Echo, Capritto also noted they can bring a bit more intensity. “I can get to 50 calories much quicker on an Assault Bike than I can on an Echo Bike,” she says.

Air bikes tend to be low on tech, and the AssaultBike Classic is no exception. It has no speakers or Bluetooth connectivity, though it does have seven pre-programmed workouts on the LCD console. But since many athletes use air bikes for short bursts of high-intensity pedal-pumping, tech isn’t really a necessity.

Read our full Assault AirBike Review.

Best Smart Commercial Exercise Bike: Echelon Connect EX-8s

Echelon Connect EX-8s Exercise Bike

echelon-connect-ex-8s-exercise-bike-275x275-1.png

Echelon Connect EX-8s Exercise Bike

The Echelon EX-8s can glam up your home gym with a dual-flywheel design outfitted with LEDs you can customize by color, tempo, and brightness. The 24-inch touchscreen is curved to offer a deeper sense of immersion during classes on the Echelon Fit app.

Click here to view the article.

Back