The Dudes Recovery from Cervical Fusion

Good to hear from you Bro! Was yours lumbar? I know to be patient, but as you know its SO HARD! I've probably lost 25lbs. I feel like I could do some light stuff... I did some push-ups and sit-ups last night just to see how I felt. Other than being super weak, I felt OK.

something you might want to try is using hand squeezers like Captain of Krush

when I was hurt I used those to keep up my grip and maybe it was psychological but when I finally did get back in the gym it didn't take long to get my strength back

something you might want to try is using hand squeezers like Captain of Krush

when I was hurt I used those to keep up my grip and maybe it was psychological but when I finally did get back in the gym it didn't take long to get my strength back

I'll look into those thanks! I just want to do some light biceps, triceps, delts, and forearms to help me mentally. I feel like I look like an AIDS patient, but I'm still 228.

Glad to hear you're doing well. Swallowing problems are almost expected the first few days. Some Surgeons use a neck brace after surgery (I do for about 6 weeks) and some don't and the medical journals show no significant difference in outcomes with the exception of smokers (I know no one here would violate their body doing that!).

I have fused over 1000 levels in the cervical spine and believe me, you want to go slow in coming back. Beat the hell out of your legs for a while doing leg presses, extensions, calf raises, lunges etc. When you are given the clearance by your Surgeon - Listen to his/her advice. They know your neck better than you do at that point.

Good Luck.

God speed to you Dude....prayers out to you

Thanks Bro,
Brainman6, do you know if 3 weeks would be sufficient to do some light (for me) upper body training? I haven't been given to do any training. I'd love to do any training at all.

Hi Dude me and Jenn were thinking of you and about your surgery. I am glad it went well. My heart surgery is all healed up as well. Hope to see you in the near future.Tell the wife we said hi also.

Good to hear from you Dude!
Best of luck with your complete recovery medically and in gym as well :)
Good luck with new career hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Dude me and Jenn were thinking of you and about your surgery. I am glad it went well. My heart surgery is all healed up as well. Hope to see you in the near future.Tell the wife we said hi also.

Hey! Glad to hear things are going well with you it sounds. Miss you guys. The Dude was a good patient, lol...it's crazy how fast he's healed. I'm so glad he's no longer in pain. Anyway, tell Jenn hi for me : )

Hey Bro! Good to hear from you! I hope to get back in the gym 2/7 so give me a month to get in shape and we should do something! We won't be around too much longer and I'd like to see you guys.
Are you 100% clear to train? We should train together soon. You know Jenn and Silk will be off talking

Good to hear from you Dude!
Best of luck with your complete recovery medically and in gym as well :)
Good luck with new career hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Brother. It's starting to hit home now. I thought I was going to ride this one to retirement, so its a huge modification to our plan. I spent so long making something of a name for myself and now I have to start over. It is what it is and I have faith in God. Thank you for the kind words

Last edited:
Thanks Brother. It's starting to hit home now. I thought this was going to ride this one to retirement, so its a huge modification to our plan. I spent so long making something of a name for myself and now I have to start over. It is what it is and I have faith in God. Thank you for the kind words
I feel that in difficult times a faith based life is sometimes the only way to make it through. Keep going strong brother.

Unable to give advice

Thanks Bro,
Brainman6, do you know if 3 weeks would be sufficient to do some light (for me) upper body training? I haven't been given to do any training. I'd love to do any training at all.

Unfortunately, it would be improper and unethical for me to give you medical advice without having seen you, your Xrays, or not having done your surgery.

For my patients, I usually let them work on machines at 4 weeks only with light weights to isolate the muscle and avoid straining the neck. you have to realize that the ultimate goal of surgery after having removed the pressure on the nerves is to get the bone to heal together. Think about trying to do curls with a broken arm while in a cast. the bone will not heal properly if not immobilized and become a painful pseudo-joint.

Be Patient. Your muscles will grow back.:bber:

im loving this thread its great to see new and old members posting on here giving hope and there prayers..i love MC..RESPECT..GUYS..AND GALS..

Hey Bro! Good to hear from you! I hope to get back in the gym 2/7 so give me a month to get in shape and we should do something! We won't be around too much longer and I'd like to see you guys.
Are you 100% clear to train? We should train together soon. You know Jenn and Silk will be off talking

Yes I am back to training at about 80%. Jenn just had female surgery she has to take a month off which will be good for her she was burned out. We would love to go for dinner when you and Jenn are feeling better. I am so glad your surgery went well. I will pm you later in the week with my phone number cause I got new phone and lost yours. Rest and get better.

- - - Updated - - -

I will she is cranky now healing from female surgery as well but cant wait till everyone is all healed up and we can go for dinner.

Hey! Glad to hear things are going well with you it sounds. Miss you guys. The Dude was a good patient, lol...it's crazy how fast he's healed. I'm so glad he's no longer in pain. Anyway, tell Jenn hi for me : )

I will she just had surgery also and looking forward to seeing you guys when Dude and Jenn are better we can all go eat.

I'm doing better guys. Can move my head some days. I have some wicked spasms in my erectors that are really causing me some pain. I have been able to do some cardio. The longest was a 45 minute walk. I actually feel stronger. I'm sure it's the nerves recovering, but its a nice feeling. The incision has healed very well. At times its hard to even see it. I'm pretty pleased with the results.
Work and all of the lawsuit stuff is working, but it's going to be a fight. I work for the Govt and as you can imagine they are as immoral, unethical, and blatantly spineless as most believe. No matter. I have a great attorney who has dealt with them 3 times in the last 18 months and gotten everything he wanted in each case. I'm hoping to return to work soon in a different capacity until this is all done. I'm sick of being at home. I'm also hoping to get the OK for some weight training on the 7th. We will see

That's awesome news Dude!! Just be really careful with your neck. Especially any type of shoulder press, etc. I tried to hit the weights way to early after my surgery and it kept me in an "on and off again" training period for way too long. Light weight for some time will ensure your success. Need to strengthen that neck slowly, but consistently persistent. I wish I had known about MC IGF after my surgery. I'm sure it will help tremendously!!

Good Luck and God Bless,
Austin

I'm good!! My Dr said everything looked great and I could start back in the gym within reason. The only thing he said is no overhead stuff. I'm allowed to go back to work in 2 weeks, but that will be temporary until the lawsuit settles. It will be nice to get back on a routine

Back