What motivates you

The Dude

MuscleChemistry Registered Member
I've used tons of things to motivate me to train, eat properly, and sleep right over the years. It kept me out of the big party scene and DUI free too. For me motivations changes all the time.
What is your current motivation?

Right now a couple things

1. I am in a custody battle with my ex concerning my daughter. This doesnt motivate me per say but it does give me drive to succeed

2. I have placed top 5 in every show I have done but never first. And everytime it has been a conditioning thing. So this year my #1 goal is to be the most conditioned guy in the show no matter where I place, but im pretty convinced that if I do that it'll be hard for ANYONE to beat me

Lastly, this sport is purely about self. And at the end of the day as long as I go out and improve each and everytime, which I have more than managed to thus far, thenI am A success......and the fear of not succeeding in that manner is my biggest fear

For me now its because my wife thinks men should be built clearly like men.
Also I really like not being able to hide that I'm a bodybuilder. I wear mostly cargo shorts and t shirts and it feels good to get the stares. It's obvious I'm not trying to flaunt my size, but its a huge ego boost that I can't hide.
Lastly I had a goal for this year that I failed miserably. The main reason is that I can't lose the muscle that I carry, given this fact I've chosen to embrace that this is what I am.
I guess my main goal is to maintain as much of a bodybuilder physique while bringing in other parts of my life that I relegated to an also ran for so many years

feels good to be in shape. Im older and most guys my age are in terrable shape. I have to smile
when they say "who has time to work out" Also, old broads are easily impressed. lolol

Hell my motivation is just being able to lift again after having shoulder surgery years ago. Just being able to throw the weight up again is a big stress relief for me, I didn't know how much I missed working out until I started back. I love people saying damn you swelling up that always makes me wanna go back for more.

Good subject. When I was younger just being fit and active is what I wanted. Now being 40, and for say the past 10 years what keeps me happy is taking my girls to dance class or gymnastics and watch the younger fat slob dads look at me while there wifes are undressing me with there eyes. Im very cocky because this life style of hard work payed off.

Last edited:
My parents never supported my bodybuilding or lifting. They think it is counter cultural and a complete waste of time. When I would come home from college during the summer, they would throw away some of the food I cooked and bought and eventually cut me off and kicked me out of the house because I wouldn't stop training. My dad said if I ever did a show, I would have to change my name because he didn't want to be associated with a bodybuilder. I love my parents and it broke my heart that they wouldn't support my hobby (which was not unhealthy or damaging in any way), would kick me out, and wouldn't support me in spite of a perfect college gpa and never getting in trouble in school or with the law. I remember being so mad and frustrated that I would go to the gym with tears in my eyes and do deadlifts till I collapsed. Every day I train, with every success I achieve in bodybuilding, and every door that opens up or special person I meet through the sport, it gives me confirmation that I made the right decision years ago. It gives me confidence that when faced with adversity again, I will rise to the occasion and make the right move just as I did at a young age. For that reason, bodybuilding has been just as much a journey of self understanding as a journey of physical progress. I probably took this question way too seriously :) but that is what motivates me.

Last edited:
My parents never supported my bodybuilding or lifting. They think it is counter cultural and a complete waste of time. When I would come home from college during the summer, they would throw away some of the food I cooked and bought and eventually cut me off and kicked me out of the house because I wouldn't stop training. My dad said if I ever did a show, I would have to change my name because he didn't want to be associated with a bodybuilder. I love my parents and it broke my heart that they wouldn't support my hobby (which was not unhealthy or damaging in any way), would kick me out, and wouldn't support me in spite of a perfect college gpa and never getting in trouble in school or with the law. I remember being so mad and frustrated that I would go to the gym with tears in my eyes and do deadlifts till I collapsed. Every day I train, with every success I achieve in bodybuilding, and every door that opens up or special person I meet through the sport, it gives me confirmation that I made the right decision years ago. It gives me confidence that when faced with adversity again, I will rise to the occasion and make the right move just as I did at a young age. For that reason, bodybuilding has been just as much a journey of self understanding as a journey of physical progress. I probably took this question way too seriously :) but that is what motivates me.

And your parents are exactly whats wrong with the world....live and let live man!!!!!

Now this is truely a great story!!!!!! Major props to you and your drive and dertermination. You are already a winner my man!!!! I've trained for years. Was very atheletic in and out of school so weight lifting was always a part of my life. I remember even as a kid how I always wanted to be a BB. I always read and looked at my step dads flex mags and can remember thinking that one day I will look like that. I've only been truely BB for prob 4 years. Never even did PH/DS till I was in my late 20's early 30's. I know that I have really only just begun my journey in BB. What drives me everyday is the will to want to suceed. Knowing that I have my family, friends, and my trainer chris250 in my corner I know the sky is the limit. BB has changed my life. Without it, it's hard telling where and what I would be doing....

bro, if your in a custody battle and your ex knows about your supps,,, you better be smart and go clean with a capital "C". Good luck bro, been there done that shit. I keep it HRT, doc script.

bro, if your in a custody battle and your ex knows about your supps,,, you better be smart and go clean with a capital "C". Good luck bro, been there done that shit. I keep it HRT, doc script.

Very true, this is what came up first for me during mine...But yes an HRT with bloodwork from time to time to show that your levels are in a normal range will be very valuable. Good luck with that LilArnold, never stop fighting for that little girl :)

My motivation went to getting as strong as I can pound for pound and impressing myself with new progress, all while staying nice and lean and healthy. I am super motivated by the prospect each week of improving that much more...that and knowing when Competition returns I can walk into it at a whole other level then anyone else there...

And reaching goals, though I tend to make mine very very hard to reach intentionally.

Fear! The fear of leaving something on the table, the fear of not reaching my maxium potential, and the fear of failure. At the end of the day you are the one that you have to live up to.

Back