Who can call themselves a body builder?

I posted my pics a while ago, they're not recent at all, but that's all i have to post.

I'm not saying i'm anything great at all, i really dislike my physique, but i'm working on that.

I just wanted to get others opinions on it. But it seems if someone is dedicated enough to call themselves a bodyybuilder, it should show.

I have to go more with CJ on this one. BB's follow a strict diet and lifting regement, going to the gym doesn't cover half the work that actual BB's put forward.

Wow CJ you should spend more time on the books w/a rant like this jk bro. I would say a true bb is someone that competes and someone that lifts to change their body would be a body sculpter....but the one thing I always say is I dont give a damn how much I can lift it is all bout what I look like, but the bigger you get the more you should be able to lift that is just a rule of thumb....peace bros

I'm a bb wannabe. Without the dedication and other hard stuff.

Well, I eat 6-8 meals a day, and keep a workout journal, and really push myself at the gym. I hang out here and do other research in an attempt to build the best body I can. Honestly, I don't really care whether I can call myself a body builder or not, though I do think of myself as one. When I played softball, I considered myself a softball player. The funny thing is, I'm doing the same thing (basically) that I started almost 2 years ago when I was 285 lbs and over 50% body fat. I'm getting closer to looking like a body builder (people at my gym have asked me if I'm getting ready for a competition, not sure if they mean a body building comp or power lifting or what). If I am one now, and I started doing the same thing with the same dedication when I was obviously fat and out of shape, at what point did I cross the line and become a body builder?

I'm a weightlifter-one who lifts weights! I would never call myself a bodybuilder. I lift to improve my strength. If I can improve my physique at the same time (which is normally a part of lifting), great!!! If I never have a competition worthy 8-pack, that's fine too! As long as I am confident in myself (never been a problem) and am able to protect my loved ones (sincerely) I am fine. To all you dieting, cardio, tanning cream, hair shaving bbers...more power to you.

I never call myself a bodybuilder. But some of my friends call me that (those that eat worse and exercise less (which is all of them)).

Perhaps it's relative. I know I'm not in the same league with most of you guys. But I'm the best in my circle of friends.

lalala

ok you buncha fruits....

Bodybuilder - One who engages in resistance exercise and specific dietary schedules with the primary aim of changing his / her body shape through the manipulation of his / her levels of lean body mass and body fat.

Weight Trainer / Weight Lifter (2 words) - One who engages in resistance training with the primary aim of recreation, increased health and wellbeing.

Weightlifter (1 Word) - One who participates in the sport of competitive Weightlifting, also known as "Olympic weightlifting / Olympic lifting, or simply "OL". Anyone who calls themselves a Weightlifter (1 word) had better be up on the platform, or training to get there, otherwise they are a "weight lifter" (2 words) or weight trainer. If you cant do the O lifts, you aint a Weightlifter.

Powerlifter - One who competes in the sport of powerlifting or one whos primary aim in training is to improve his / her prospective total in the sport of Powerlifting. If you don't regularly practice / train the 3 Powerlifts or variants thereof, then you are not a powerlifter, regardless of your mental belief that you are training to increase your PL total.

This last point is important. There ARE certain qualifications, for example a guy who has never competed in a PL meet, but intends to, and yet trains with leg extensions and kickbacks as his "big lifts" isn't a Powerlifter until he competes. At which point he will realise he fits in to the category of "Weight Trainer" subcategory "Deluded fool" and may either start training the big lifts with the purpose of competing (which would make him a powerlifter) or admit his recreational status and continue with his cable kickback pleasantaries. Ditto for OL folks, although this situation is less usual in OL simply because of the technicality of the lifts. If you are prepping for an OL meet, you are going to know how to snatch etc, there is just no getting around it. You get what i mean? Hypothetically, anyone who trains to increase their 3 lift total could be a powerlifter, but if they train in a manner that blatantly contradicts that supposed goal, then they are not so until they compete, at which point they ARE a powerlfiter regardless of how they train. For example, Ricjard Simmons might (in his own head) be a powerlfiter, but until he competes it will not be so. The 17 yr old kid I see training at my gym who busts his balls on deadlifts every Tuesday coz he want to enter an upcoming meet, IS a powerlifter, even tho he is yet to compete. He is training purposefully to compete in the sport, so he is a part of the sport. Same for the OL, if you can do a full snatch and clean, you are capable of being a Weightlifter. If you practice these lifts with the purpose of increasing your total in a proposed future competition, you ARE a Weightlifter. It is a mixture of mental intent and action that defines where Iron fans should be cloassified, and yes, BBing has more scope for grey areas than oher sports and , yes I can see why having to accept that Richard Simmons is a bodybuilder might piss some people off but hey thats life.

Cheers boys and girls, its been lovely posting on the normal board, I might venture out of the athletes section more often in future,

G.

BINGO...
I like to workout, hard...I'm not a bodybuilder, yet, I want to be...

Bodybuilders are the elite group of guys and girls that workout...
you can talk the talk, and fuck is there alot of those out there and on here...

But walking the walk is where it's at...when you can discipline yourself into making your body the best your genetics can take you, and you can diet the crazy diets...and when you can get your ass on stage in a skimpy suit....regardless how you place or if you win.....

THEN BOYS AND GIRLS YOU ARE A BODYBUILER...

and I take my hat off to you...one day I hope to get there...

Back