Working to many hours - the work/life balance

back in the day employer weren't really any better and didn't care about their employee.
but i did have full time work, just didn't have any benefits and it was minimum wage or
barely above it. usually, job that don't pay well, you can't get people to strike on either.
most are to afraid, and concerned that they won't be able to pay their bills and take care
of their families. that's understandable, but then the problem still exist. the fat cat employer
with his ceo's get rich on the backs, and heavy labor, of the working class, who usually
live in substandard living just trying to get by.
it's been this way most of the time, in most of the world, for most of history. sad, but true.

Our lives are ruled by crooked politicians. You can do one of three things. You can sell your soul and your integrity and become a politician and accrue 10 times the wealth of the hard-working businessman who actually supports this country
2. You can take massive risk work incredible hours and sacrifice everything for a successful business. And in doing so create jobs and form the backbone of this country. But then you will be penalized by the politicians who for some reason don't think that you should make as much money as they do.
Or 3. Spend a lifetime in school and hundreds of thousands of dollars making yourself an indispensable part of society AKA a doctor pharmacist something along those lines where you hold people's lives in your hands. But in that case the politicians get involved again in lowering your salary despite people's lives depending on the knowledge you accrued in a decade of school.
If you don't fall into one of those categories you will probably work your fingers to the Bone and never receive the compensation or enjoy the lifestyle that you deserve. It's all about sacrifice. Something's Gotta Give. I would rather sacrifice some time in school and retain my Integrity. So politics is out for me
Right now I'm in class at 8am and go from there to work until 930pm... maybe 6 days a week.. the other day I study for exams... but in a few years I'll make at least 140k a year working 40 hours a week and I'll have my PhD. Those 3 letters after my name mean alot to me. In my mind mind it will lend tremendous credibility when I become an activist for some serious reform on drug laws.

Last edited:
Our lives are ruled by crooked politicians. You can do one of three things. You can sell your soul and your integrity and become a politician and accrue 10 times the wealth of the hard-working businessman who actually supports this country
2. You can take massive risk work incredible hours and sacrifice everything for a successful business. And in doing so create jobs and form the backbone of this country. But then you will be penalized by the politicians who for some reason don't think that you should make as much money as they do.
Or 3. Spend a lifetime in school and hundreds of thousands of dollars making yourself an indispensable part of society AKA a doctor pharmacist something along those lines where you hold people's lives in your hands. But in that case the politicians get involved again in lowering your salary despite people's lives depending on the knowledge you accrued in a decade of school.
If you don't fall into one of those categories you will probably work your fingers to the Bone and never receive the compensation or enjoy the lifestyle that you deserve. It's all about sacrifice. Something's Gotta Give. I would rather sacrifice some time in school and retain my Integrity. So politics is out for me
Right now I'm in class at 8am and go from there to work until 930pm... maybe 6 days a week.. the other day I study for exams... but in a few years I'll make at least 140k a year working 40 hours a week and I'll have my PhD. Those 3 letters after my name mean alot to me. In my mind mind it will lend tremendous credibility when I become an activist for some serious reform on drug laws.

Brother, I could not agree more with you. Not to blow smoke up your ass but I understand where you are coming from, I have 2 Masters and hours toward my Phd and unless I decided to be a crook, I will never make the money that I should. I work with a special population of adults and they depend on me daily to help them with daily living, coping and learning interpersonal skills. My rewards come from them and my family.

Stay strong, keep your nose in the books and enjoy your life.

Brother, I could not agree more with you. Not to blow smoke up your ass but I understand where you are coming from, I have 2 Masters and hours toward my Phd and unless I decided to be a crook, I will never make the money that I should. I work with a special population of adults and they depend on me daily to help them with daily living, coping and learning interpersonal skills. My rewards come from them and my family.

Stay strong, keep your nose in the books and enjoy your life.

That reality infuriates me. I'm not one to say that education is EVERYTHING... but it is certainly more important than an arbitrary promotion or position that we see so many less educated, motivated, moral people enjoy. I believe the ultimate sacrifice is production... business owners... after that is the highly educated.. not to say anything about those that can't obtain an education or don't see the value... but most of them are not AWARDED with the high paying positions... it's the sellouts.. the slobs, the immoral, and unethical that get ahead.... and no one seems to question that reality.. at least it does not make it into main stream media. I can't tell you how many supervisors I have had with double digit IQ's. I used to have reports rejected due to using vocabulaty that was too complex!! WTF? These are legal documents that will be reviewed by Judges and Attorneys and these idiots are coming out and saying that they don't understand the terminology?!
End rant.. time to go to work. Then back to studying for an Organic chemistry exam.

I am blaming this on the lack of EMPLOYEE ADVOCATES.
No one is united, just scared into doing whatever the fuck the company asks of you, or your fired. I am tired of it too.

I work in a business where it is required to possibly have someone cough in your face (happened last week from about 16 inches away) and not only is the Employer not responsible, but they are mad at you if you get sick.
You have to call out
You have to pay for DR appt
You have to pay for meds
& You will be fired if this happens a twice basically in a rolling year...

Think about this, you call out bc you got sick in February, your Kid gets chicken pox in April so you have to call out, than in January a Patient gets you sick so you call out, pretty easily believable that this can happen right? Well that's within a rolling year, you have the potential of being fired for that. Awesome huh?
Less appealing every year.

The unions were developed to help the workers, but they sold out due to greed and corruption. But something is going to have to be done. I know that the big online retailer cannot find enough workers to do what they are expecting to do this holiday season. The reason is that they have treated so many people poorly in the past, that very few people want to work there now. In the past, they have had to close a warehouse due to not being able to get workers due to the problems. We have laws that say you have the right to hostile free work place, but when a person does bring up an issue, nothing is done. If anything the table are turned and you will be treated even worse.

When you have 60% that currently doesn't work and the remaining 40% paying their way and being treated like garbage by the employers, one can only take so much.

The unions were developed to help the workers, but they sold out due to greed and corruption. But something is going to have to be done. I know that the big online retailer cannot find enough workers to do what they are expecting to do this holiday season. The reason is that they have treated so many people poorly in the past, that very few people want to work there now. In the past, they have had to close a warehouse due to not being able to get workers due to the problems. We have laws that say you have the right to hostile free work place, but when a person does bring up an issue, nothing is done. If anything the table are turned and you will be treated even worse.

When you have 60% that currently doesn't work and the remaining 40% paying their way and being treated like garbage by the employers, one can only take so much.
This is so true.. the union I belonged to was he biggest group of self sering sell out pieces of shit thwt I have ver come into contact with. Truly disgusting people. The tricks they pull on new Officers is amazing.. they do the cadet classes and hand out the union forms and say that "this is the Police union" when in fact here are 2... and they other is the only one who does not damn thing for anyone.

This is so true.. the union I belonged to was he biggest group of self sering sell out pieces of shit thwt I have ver come into contact with. Truly disgusting people. The tricks they pull on new Officers is amazing.. they do the cadet classes and hand out the union forms and say that "this is the Police union" when in fact here are 2... and they other is the only one who does not damn thing for anyone.

So I take it you were/are a police officer?

One of these day, I am going to walk out of my office and never return. The day after I hit the lottery.... Until then I guess I will just Grind baby Grind!!

I'm am so overworked and underpaid, its pathetic. I admit much of my day is spent just BS'ing with member (we call it member retention LOL) but I have to still be here in my dungeon regardless. My typical work wk is
Mon-Fri 6-530
Sat 7-5
Sun I open up my gym and leave and come back and close it down late afternoon, so I guess its a semi day off

It was good income many yrs ago, now my revenue has dropped like 150%, so I'm not exactly golfing with the Gates's

But to the balance thing, I'm way off, really need a vacation but of course that means adding to my already inflated payroll

So I'm fucked...

Back