Acupuncture

SilkQuads

Have any of you guys ever tried acupuncture? If so, how many treatments before you noticed anything? ...if you noticed anything at all. I've had a nagging pain in my shoulder for quite some time and it's affecting my training. I didn't injure anything. I'm sure it's a combination of stress and a bit of overtraining. It's just a bunch of knots deep in my upper back/shoulder area, but it throbs down my arm and to my shoulder blade. I tried massages, but that doesn't seem to help much and can't afford to go as often as needed. Well, I recently found a place that does acupuncture a block from my work so I've tried it twice. I like it, but I wouldn't say it's helped yet. I'm going to give it a shot...I'm thinkin 2 treatments a week. Anyway, just wondering if it's helped anyone here.

I have had the same injury for years and I have tryed everything under the sun for relief. I tryed a something similiar to acupuncture called Dry Needleling and it helped tremendously for a long time. Look it up and read about it. If that does not look like something that would interest you I would highly recommend cortisone shots. Thay have also helped me a great deal. Good luck...

I have impingement syndrome on my delts. Tried everything and the only thing that came close to improving it is IMS (Intra Muscular Stimulation) and some physio exercises. It's not completely gone but it's lot better and I can train shoulders again.

Silk, since you mentioned muscle knots, I would highly recommend IMS. It is very intrusive tho, needles go deep into muscle tissue to puncture the knots. And you are pricked like 50 times in one session, so hope you are comfortable with them. After first treatment you'll be sore like someone beat you up with baseball bat. But it gets easier. You should see the difference in just a couple treatments.

Hope it helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always wanted to try acupuncture but have yet to do it. How much do you guys normally pay for a 60 min session? I've had back issues before but the pain usually subsides after getting a deep tissue massage followed by a chiro visit. Silk, have you ever tried Rock Tape while lifting?

I have impingement syndrome on my delts. Tried everything and the only thing that came close to improving it is IMS (Intra Muscular Stimulation) and some physio exercises. It's not completely gone but it's lot better and I can train shoulders again.

Silk, since you mentioned muscle knots, I would highly recommend IMS. It is very intrusive tho, needles go deep into muscle tissue to puncture the knots. And you are pricked like 50 times in one session, so hope you are comfortable with them. After first treatment you'll be sore like someone beat you up with baseball bat. But it gets easier. You should see the difference in just a couple treatments.

Hope it helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. At this point I'm willing to try anything. It's setting me back in the gym and I'm frustrated!

I've always wanted to try acupuncture but have yet to do it. How much do you guys normally pay for a 60 min session? I've had back issues before but the pain usually subsides after getting a deep tissue massage followed by a chiro visit. Silk, have you ever tried Rock Tape while lifting?

The place I go is not your traditional acupuncture place. It's an organization called Community Acupuncture and they work on a sliding pay scale. So you pay what you can afford. They ask $15-$35 and you stay as long as you want. They're a block from my job so I'll go and nap for an hour or so. The environment is a little more casual and relaxed but that's how they keep the cost down. If you're interested google Community Acupuncture and your state. They have them all over the country. I leave so rested and relaxed! I can't say it's helped with my issue yet, but I've only gone a few times.

And no, I'm not familiar with rock tape. I'll have to do some research. Thanks

Have any of you guys ever tried acupuncture? If so, how many treatments before you noticed anything? ...if you noticed anything at all. I've had a nagging pain in my shoulder for quite some time and it's affecting my training. I didn't injure anything. I'm sure it's a combination of stress and a bit of overtraining. It's just a bunch of knots deep in my upper back/shoulder area, but it throbs down my arm and to my shoulder blade. I tried massages, but that doesn't seem to help much and can't afford to go as often as needed. Well, I recently found a place that does acupuncture a block from my work so I've tried it twice. I like it, but I wouldn't say it's helped yet. I'm going to give it a shot...I'm thinkin 2 treatments a week. Anyway, just wondering if it's helped anyone here.

So when you say massage do you mean just like regular ol spa massage? because ive known a few guys to go and get some myofascial release or trigger point release massages, they pretty much go in and "pop" the knots for lack of a better explanation for it. some go once a week some go once a month but ive always heard its an absolute game changer and can spur new growth, Also heard its like getting the shit kicked out of you by a gang with tire irons but youll feel amazing after.

It's not a spa massage. I don't know if it's myocardial or trigger point. It's a massage therapist who works out of my gym. In fact Ben Pakulski comes in just to see my guy and he doesn't even train at my gym. It's a minimum of 2 & 1/2 hour massage...sometimes even 3 hours! I think I'm not going as often as I should to get any real benefit. I just can't afford it right now. He only charged me for an hour ($65) but since he's so generous with his time I have to tip well so it can get pretty pricy. Oh well, thank you guys for all of your suggestions. I'll find something that works :)

Last edited:
Rock Tape is what most of the Olympic lifters and cross fitters wear all over their body due to injuries from lifting. It pulls the skin away from the injured area and allows proper blood flow. I had a pinched nerve in my lower back and it allowed me to deadlift, squat, do lunges etc virtually pain free. It lasts about 5 days on the body through sweat and showering. Buy the rock tape brand though, it's the only brand I had luck with.

I tried acupuncture, maybe a half dozen treatments. For me it did exactly nothing. It was expensive ($60/hr), time consuming, and ineffective. I went on the recommendation from a buddy who says it works wonders for him. So go figure.....

What I have had really good luck with is Active Release Techniques chiropractic. It is sort of similar to a targeted massage, but more intense. You can find the Active Release Techniques website and use their provider locater to see if there's someone near you that does it. It also isn't real cheap, but like I said, I've found it very effective.

My health insurance covers it, but some Active Release docs don't seem to know how to bill insurance companies properly, as I've found that some say it's not covered and charge extra. For instance, when I was living in Vegas I paid my copay for the chiro visit plus $35 (I think ) for the active release treatment. Here (NJ) all I pay is my $15 copay. So if you have good insurance and a doc who knows how to bill for it, you might just have a viable, non invasive AND relatively inexpensive solution.

Back