Another Surgery Tomorrow

tripwire

MuscleChemistry Registered Member
As you may know, im trying to get over a broken ankle. I had two surgeries already. Ive been using igf, deca, and test to help recovery. Tomorrow im having a small arthroscopic procedure done to repair my knee. I cant flex my thigh and I cant straighten my leg. The doc is going into my knee to repair or remove damaged miniscus. Im sure I damaged my knee when i broke my ankle. I just didnt notice it right away because of the ankle pain and because i couldnt use my leg.
Im going to continue the same protocol throughout. I hope its helping. The doc told me there isnt much i can do to speed up the recovery from an injury like this, but im trying.
Being out of the gym sucks. I just do as much as i can at home with dumbbells.

When this shit is all fixed we are going off roading in my jeep. fuck that dirt bike. Shit we will probably get hurt in the jeep. maybe we should take up ballroom dancing with Bighorn LMAO

Hopefully things recover quicker than estimated for you. Have you noticed any difference or has the doc noticed quicker than normal recovery?

Hope we call you Steve Austin soon.. If you guys wana learn dance I'll show your wives the t-bag drop and you can follow..

Wishing a great repair and recovery brutha..

Hopefully things recover quicker than estimated for you. Have you noticed any difference or has the doc noticed quicker than normal recovery?

I cant say that ive noticed anything special. But fortunately i havent done this before. I mentioned hgh to the doc and he wasnt very receptive, so i havent told him about the supplements. But he told me the only way he can really verify that the bone is healing and growing will be with the CAT scan in a couple weeks. Im hoping he looks at that and tells me that its healed faster than he expected.
Im sure everybody is different, and im sure everybodies bones break a little different. So i think its going to be very hard to see how much the supps helped. I just have to be confident that they are helping. I will keep you posted.

How did you do it?

I broke my ankle in several places on a motorcycle, on a motocross track to be exact. I damaged my knee at the same time, but i didnt notice it until all the pain went away. Then i realized i couldnt starighten my knee.
The surgery was nothin compared to the first two. No pain really. I have a TENS unit connected to my knee this time. An electronic device that stimulates my leg and confuses the nerve pathways so i dont feel as much pain. Honestly, i cant remember a thing that the doc told me when i came out of surgery. So i dont know exactly what he found or did to my knee. I see him again at 8:00 tomorrow morning. So i will find out then.

I cant say that ive noticed anything special. But fortunately i havent done this before. I mentioned hgh to the doc and he wasnt very receptive, so i havent told him about the supplements. But he told me the only way he can really verify that the bone is healing and growing will be with the CAT scan in a couple weeks. Im hoping he looks at that and tells me that its healed faster than he expected.
Im sure everybody is different, and im sure everybodies bones break a little different. So i think its going to be very hard to see how much the supps helped. I just have to be confident that they are helping. I will keep you posted.

When he does follow up xrays in the office check for a lighter cloudy area around your fracture. This is callus formation and a good indicator of healing bone

Damn man good luck. I broke my ankle in 6 places shooting ball 5 years ago and still cant squat or do legs like I used to on top of that I had a torn bicep surgery 3 years ago and that still gives me problems. They say orthoscopic is easy to recover from so good luck

How did it go tripwire?

Thanks for asking. I thought it was a miniscus tear. However, my miniscus and ACL seem to be in good shape. However, the pain and discomfort i am having in my knee is lack of cartlidge in the joint. I am 41 years old, he told me someone my age with this much damage would be looking at a knee replacement in the near future. But he said because of the trauma associated with my ankle, i wont be able to abuse my knee like i was prior to the ankle breaking. This will cut down on stress i can put on my knee. So i may be able to go a long time without a knee replacement. The only thing that concerns me is my other knee probably doesnt look much better.
In a couple weeks i go for a CT scan of my ankle to verify that there is enough bone growth to start putting pressure on my ankle. I have to keep the cast on for atleast another month. Im having a terrible time with swelling. Lots of fluid from mid calf down to my toes. He says this is normal. I got a TENS unit for the knee surgery to help with pain. It either worked really well, or the surgery wasnt painful. He gave me a big script for dilaudid, and i didnt take one of them. I will stash them away incase of emergency.
I will let you guys know after the CT scan.
I looked at the x rays as jpotch suggested, but reading those things is an art. I dont notice anything special like bone growth.

I have a question for jpotch. When plates and screws are installed for a serious bone fracture, does the bone grow over the hardware? Or dose the hardware only aid in making the bones grow back as they were originally?
The reason i ask, if the hardware had to be removed, which sometimes it does, can the screws simply be unscrewed and the plates removed? Or does the bone have to be cut away to allow for hardware removal? If the hardware had to be removed, would the bone be weaker than it would be with the hardware remaining? Just curious.

I have a question for jpotch. When plates and screws are installed for a serious bone fracture, does the bone grow over the hardware? Or dose the hardware only aid in making the bones grow back as they were originally?
The reason i ask, if the hardware had to be removed, which sometimes it does, can the screws simply be unscrewed and the plates removed? Or does the bone have to be cut away to allow for hardware removal? If the hardware had to be removed, would the bone be weaker than it would be with the hardware remaining? Just curious.

Generally speaking the longer the plate is in the more overgrowth there will be. Typically its pretty insignificant when removing the hardware. It can be easily flaked off with a chisel. The heads of the screws will have to be cleaned out with a currett prior to being backed out as well.
The idea when you remove hardware like this is to make sure its as cleaned off as possible so you dont create a new problem (screw breaking, creating a new fracture, or whats called a stress riser).
Nine times out of ten a hardware removal is a no brainer, but as the saying goes, "never under estimate a hardware removal". Meaning just take your time and all will go well.

To answer your last question, at your age and health level the bone will more than likely be harder than what god intended. Which is both good and bad. Think of a piece of chalk, its extremly hard and stands up to a lot of different forces, but it can also become brittle.
I would assume in you it would not be that significant, but just something to keep in mind down the road (20-30 yrs from now)

Glad youre doing well

Thanks for asking. I thought it was a miniscus tear. However, my miniscus and ACL seem to be in good shape. However, the pain and discomfort i am having in my knee is lack of cartlidge in the joint. I am 41 years old, he told me someone my age with this much damage would be looking at a knee replacement in the near future. But he said because of the trauma associated with my ankle, i wont be able to abuse my knee like i was prior to the ankle breaking. This will cut down on stress i can put on my knee. So i may be able to go a long time without a knee replacement. The only thing that concerns me is my other knee probably doesnt look much better.
In a couple weeks i go for a CT scan of my ankle to verify that there is enough bone growth to start putting pressure on my ankle. I have to keep the cast on for atleast another month. Im having a terrible time with swelling. Lots of fluid from mid calf down to my toes. He says this is normal. I got a TENS unit for the knee surgery to help with pain. It either worked really well, or the surgery wasnt painful. He gave me a big script for dilaudid, and i didnt take one of them. I will stash them away incase of emergency.
I will let you guys know after the CT scan.
I looked at the x rays as jpotch suggested, but reading those things is an art. I dont notice anything special like bone growth.

Well i feel your pain bro, Litterally! I need both my knees replaced, my right one is really bad with no cartiladge and no minicus and a torn to shit acl,

I actually had an orthopedic surgeon tell me he wouldnt touch me cause i need a special surgery first to cut holes in my bone out or fill them with some new paste type shit, in any case i do feel your pain brutha!

I hope it works out for ya my man! I was told not to bother with the knee replacements for a while since they would only last me 5 to 7 years at the most until i needed to have the replaced again, so i just go super easy on legs.

Not sure if you get this but i have GOD awful throbbing pain in my inner knees at night time, and they said it was advanced arthritus, so i was wondering if you have the bad arthritus that generally comes with the bad knees

I tried to upload some before and after xrays, but i think there's something wrong with the site at the moment. Or Im just doing something stupid. Thanks for your input. I was going to ask whether or not you think my ankle is stronger with the hardware, or without. But i didnt want to ask until you see the xrays. I just cant believe a bone can be strong with so many screws going through it in such a small area.
I will keep working on getting the pics up. I heard you used to have an avatar that probably looks a little like my ankle. Cool.

Well i feel your pain bro, Litterally! I need both my knees replaced, my right one is really bad with no cartiladge and no minicus and a torn to shit acl,

I actually had an orthopedic surgeon tell me he wouldnt touch me cause i need a special surgery first to cut holes in my bone out or fill them with some new paste type shit, in any case i do feel your pain brutha!

I hope it works out for ya my man! I was told not to bother with the knee replacements for a while since they would only last me 5 to 7 years at the most until i needed to have the replaced again, so i just go super easy on legs.

Not sure if you get this but i have GOD awful throbbing pain in my inner knees at night time, and they said it was advanced arthritus, so i was wondering if you have the bad arthritus that generally comes with the bad knees

YES!!!!! i typically sleep on my side. If i let my leg slides off the bed just a little bit, it will put a side load on my knee, either one. The pain will wake me up, i have to take my hands and lift my leg back onto the bed like my leg would fall off if i let it go. Same thing happens if i lay one leg on top of the other and my knee trys to bend sideways over the other leg. Horrible pain my brutha.
Ive also had 5 shoulder operations. I have the same kind of problem with my left shoulder. If i fall asleep watching tv, sometimes i will fall asleep with my hands behind my head. I will wake in extreme pain, and i have to slowly roll to my left to get that arm back to my side.
It sucks getting old.
I abused my body growing up, but i wouldnt trade it for anything. We will live longer than these kids stuck on a couch playing video games and eating fast food. I bet their knees and shoulders are good, but everything else is fucked up.

YES!!!!! i typically sleep on my side. If i let my leg slides off the bed just a little bit, it will put a side load on my knee, either one. The pain will wake me up, i have to take my hands and lift my leg back onto the bed like my leg would fall off if i let it go. Same thing happens if i lay one leg on top of the other and my knee trys to bend sideways over the other leg. Horrible pain my brutha.
Ive also had 5 shoulder operations. I have the same kind of problem with my left shoulder. If i fall asleep watching tv, sometimes i will fall asleep with my hands behind my head. I will wake in extreme pain, and i have to slowly roll to my left to get that arm back to my side.
It sucks getting old.
I abused my body growing up, but i wouldnt trade it for anything. We will live longer than these kids stuck on a couch playing video games and eating fast food. I bet their knees and shoulders are good, but everything else is fucked up.

lol, No doubt about it! The generation behind us will be full of diebetics and thats just sad!

Also if im being honest Ibuprofen helps me more then pain meds ever did. I dont take anything but Aleve and Ibuprofen now

I tried to upload some before and after xrays, but i think there's something wrong with the site at the moment. Or Im just doing something stupid. Thanks for your input. I was going to ask whether or not you think my ankle is stronger with the hardware, or without. But i didnt want to ask until you see the xrays. I just cant believe a bone can be strong with so many screws going through it in such a small area.
I will keep working on getting the pics up. I heard you used to have an avatar that probably looks a little like my ankle. Cool.

Usually u try to stagger the screws in a fashion that promotes strength. Immediatly after your surgery and immediatly after (5 wks) the hardware removal are the two times you are the most at risk for reinjury. If u smoke or chew it increases your risk of complications.
Im def curious to see ur xrays if u are comfortable with putting them up here.

Back