Anyone have any suggestions for training the morbidly obese?

The Survivor

My manager just informed me we have at least one newbie starting soon that weights 600 lbs plus. The gal that I had working w/this type left a while back and I'm not well versed on someone this heavy. I know he wont fit on the Cybex machines and hes too heavy for the treadmills (capacity 450 lbs). Maybe the 4 square? Like hop scotch, they have 4 sqaures that they go back and forth on. Anyone want to chime in on how to even begin??

Well I know any little exercise yields huge weight loss at first so I think anything you have an obese person do is going to work for the first 75lbs . I would look at those shows the big loser I think it's called , I've watched a couple episodes before and have heard them say that just about anything works at first.

i would just be sure to limit your liability incase they have heart attack though! SERIOUSLY

Any kind of activity like Presser said will yield massive weight loss. Restrict calories and the fat will drip off of a person that size.

Slow walking and any kind of seated work with very light dumbells. mkdk said a pool, thats a great idea.

Like Presser said, have her get a checkup first from her (or his) doctor. Liability bro.
I was going to just say walking but the pool is excellent. Just exercising with water
as resistance, in my opinion would be perfect. I think just pool and walking for the
first couple of weeks. Also, I always have them clean up their diet just a tiny bit
at a time. If they eat cupcakes 6 times a day I would say to cut it to 4 or 5 times.
Mabey bad example but I found out they have easier time and stick with it longer if
its easy like that. I also say that if they slip (and have cupcakes 8 times one day) it
is OK. Just try to do a little better the following day. Or have one day where they can
eat all they want. I found the more strict the diet/rules the quicker they quit.
Keep us posted bro. This will be interesting. I think the hardest part will be to keep
them comming in and trying.

yeah i didnt even think of a pool, might be a decent idea, but not sure you have that available to ya bro, anyhow some good info here

No if they are in a pool and drown that would be bad. Just have them lower carbs, get a script for metformin, and for exercise 30 minutes of clapping their hands ed haha.

I like your idea of 4 Square

This could almost become her litmus test for how her fitness is improving.
Say every Friday or something as a reward.

As for training, I would think about how you train other clients/members.
Devise a plan based on her goals. Lose Fat!

Then create a split. # of Days, Sets, and Reps.
I know this seems basic to you but you are preparing this person for a long term commitment to fitness.

As for exercises I would suggest think about the same compound lifts we use to build muscle.

Squats.
Turn them into Sit-Stands.
Have her Sit in a chair/bench.
Stand Up.
Sit Down. (1 Rep)

Then Progress to Air Squats (bodyweight)

Deadlift.
Start with a modified good morning.
Basically have her touch her toes for reps/sets.
Eventually add in a broom stick and correct form.
I bet you 600 lbs MADE THOSE LEGS STRONG.

For shoulder press
Start with a broom stick
any movement will help

To become that obese they obviously have a problem with motivation. Honestly I'd set up challenges. 100 yards in x time. Next week 100 yards in x-5 seconds. A series of basic challenges. Next 100 yards and at 50 yard mark, do 10 Supermans, then finish in x time.

Back