Chris Bumstead Opens Up on Pressures of Being Dominant: “I’m Afraid That I’m Going to Lose”

Muscle Insider

Chris Bumstead continues to tease his exit from the sport following his latest title defense. In a recent Don’t Be Sour podcast, Bumstead discussed the pressures of remaining champion and touched on his eventual retirement from bodybuilding.

As a Classic Physique competitor, Bumstead first claimed Olympia gold in 2019 after dethroning Breon Ansley. Since taking the title from ‘The Black Swan,’ Bumstead has only improved on the Mr. Olympia stage, showcasing detailed conditioning and exceptional balance.

There have been talks of Bumstead’s retirement, but he’s assured his following that he intends to win at least one more time before calling it a career. Fans also suspected that Cbum might appear on an Open stage after teasing the possibility earlier this year.

Meanwhile, some pros believe Bumstead’s influence on the sport is now pushing into the Men’s Open class. Retired 1990s standout Kevin Levrone recently suggested that Cbum’s dominance has ushered in a new era of aesthetics and shape in the IFBB Pro League.
Chris Bumstead Talks Future Plans, ‘Million-Dollar’ Retirement Question, and Exploding Popularity
Bumstead admitted during the interview that he struggled with the pressures of winning and meeting the expectations of those around him when he started competing.

“It’s been good. It’s been a very interesting journey. You know, ups and downs throughout it but it’s been fun to have enough time up there where I can learn how to handle it enough to enjoy it properly. I found the first time I won, I was a little stressed about it and more relieved that I won and it was more — literally relief. I felt relief because I was anxious there was a lot expectation and pressure on me and then there was a little bit less every single year. To the point that last year I was literally able to step in there and enjoy it win or lose.”

“I wouldn’t have been able to experience that unless I had done it with four years in a row of that experience you know. Now, it’s something I look forward to that has less pressure and stress around it, so I can enjoy it.”

Unsure of his future, Bumstead said he’ll hand over the Classic Physique Olympia crown when he’s ready. He added that even if he did retire, it wouldn’t stop him from pursuing business relating to the sport.

“The next four? It’s a million-dollar question [when I’ll be done]. I’m going to hand the trophy over when I’m ready, but I literally don’t have the answer to that.”I think I’m definitely going to be someone – my goal at least I would say is to exit on top with more on me. You know, like the idea of selling a business on the rise rather than the peak before it drops. I want to exit on the rise so I have more in me but I’m making the active decision to leave because that’s my choice and I’m ready for it and I’m healthy, I’m good to go, I still have a lot of life to live and I’m excited for the next part of my life.”

“Probably not yet [won’t be slowing down if he retires],” Bumstead shared. “I mean, my life will be very different but coming into this world now of being a business owner and all this stuff — it’s a lot but I’m sure you know, it’s so rewarding and it’s fun.”

Bumstead Addresses Social Media Popularity and the Pressures of Remaining Champion: ‘I’m Afraid to Lose’
Even with 17M Instagram followers, Bumstead doesn’t consider himself a celebrity and mentioned people only recognize him when he’s in Texas at a grocery store or gas station.

“I’m definitely not Kardashian-level. I look at it like there’s fitness celebrities and then there’s real celebrities, and then there’s a little gap in between, sometimes I flow in that gap, but it’s still a niche. I go to grocery stores and nobody knows who the fu** I am. Real celebrities, the Kardashians can’t even leave their house. It depends on where I am. Maybe if I’m in Texas at a gas station or a grocery store maybe one or two people stop me but it’s usually just in gym settings.”

Unlike NBA legend Michael Jordan’s obsessive nature to only win, Bumstead has a healthy fear of losing that drives him as a competitor.

“A lot of people, a lot of bodybuilders at least, they have this really hardcore, even a lot of champions to be honest in the world, like Michael Jordan. People love him and he’s so fascinating but he’s so unrelatable. I can’t fathom having that killer mindset all the time of just needing to win, killing everybody, don’t even think about losing because that’s not who I am. I literally fear sometimes. I am afraid that I’m going to lose. I have fear in outcomes and stuff because I don’t know the outcome. And I’ve said things like, ‘I’m okay with losing.’ And people say that’s not a champion’s mindset,” Chris Bumstead shared.

Bumstead stressed the importance of having a strong bond with his business partners, friends, and family.

“I’ve always had the mindset like I said, and I think it’s the reason for my success, everything takes a team, it takes an army. You can’t do it all by yourself. There’s zero chance RAW would even be here or even exist anymore if I didn’t have my team, Dom and Matt, and everybody kind of coming together. And I wouldn’t be Mr. Olympia [in Classic Physique].”

Off-season efforts are underway for the 28-year-old champion. He checked in with fans at 253 pounds recently and revealed a 3,500-calorie diet he’s using in preparation for the 2023 Mr. Olympia contest, scheduled to take place this November.

Remaining a dominant champion is no easy task as the sport continues to grow. Bumstead is set to clash with 2023 Arnold Classic winner Ramon Queiroz at the next Olympia, who many consider his biggest threat.

Published: 20 April, 2023 | 12:59 PM EDT

Chris-Bumstead.jpg
Chris Bumstead continues to tease his exit from the sport following his latest title defense. In a recent Don’t Be Sour podcast, Bumstead discussed the pressures of remaining champion and touched on his eventual retirement from bodybuilding.

As a Classic Physique competitor, Bumstead first claimed Olympia gold in 2019 after dethroning Breon Ansley. Since taking the title from ‘The Black Swan,’ Bumstead has only improved on the Mr. Olympia stage, showcasing detailed conditioning and exceptional balance.

There have been talks of Bumstead’s retirement, but he’s assured his following that he intends to win at least one more time before calling it a career. Fans also suspected that Cbum might appear on an Open stage after teasing the possibility earlier this year.

Meanwhile, some pros believe Bumstead’s influence on the sport is now pushing into the Men’s Open class. Retired 1990s standout Kevin Levrone recently suggested that Cbum’s dominance has ushered in a new era of aesthetics and shape in the IFBB Pro League.
Chris Bumstead Talks Future Plans, ‘Million-Dollar’ Retirement Question, and Exploding Popularity
Bumstead admitted during the interview that he struggled with the pressures of winning and meeting the expectations of those around him when he started competing.

“It’s been good. It’s been a very interesting journey. You know, ups and downs throughout it but it’s been fun to have enough time up there where I can learn how to handle it enough to enjoy it properly. I found the first time I won, I was a little stressed about it and more relieved that I won and it was more — literally relief. I felt relief because I was anxious there was a lot expectation and pressure on me and then there was a little bit less every single year. To the point that last year I was literally able to step in there and enjoy it win or lose.”

“I wouldn’t have been able to experience that unless I had done it with four years in a row of that experience you know. Now, it’s something I look forward to that has less pressure and stress around it, so I can enjoy it.”

[/quote]
Unsure of his future, Bumstead said he’ll hand over the Classic Physique Olympia crown when he’s ready. He added that even if he did retire, it wouldn’t stop him from pursuing business relating to the sport.

“The next four? It’s a million-dollar question [when I’ll be done]. I’m going to hand the trophy over when I’m ready, but I literally don’t have the answer to that.”I think I’m definitely going to be someone – my goal at least I would say is to exit on top with more on me. You know, like the idea of selling a business on the rise rather than the peak before it drops. I want to exit on the rise so I have more in me but I’m making the active decision to leave because that’s my choice and I’m ready for it and I’m healthy, I’m good to go, I still have a lot of life to live and I’m excited for the next part of my life.”

“Probably not yet [won’t be slowing down if he retires],” Bumstead shared. “I mean, my life will be very different but coming into this world now of being a business owner and all this stuff — it’s a lot but I’m sure you know, it’s so rewarding and it’s fun.”

[/quote]
Bumstead Addresses Social Media Popularity and the Pressures of Remaining Champion: ‘I’m Afraid to Lose’
Even with 17M Instagram followers, Bumstead doesn’t consider himself a celebrity and mentioned people only recognize him when he’s in Texas at a grocery store or gas station.

“I’m definitely not Kardashian-level. I look at it like there’s fitness celebrities and then there’s real celebrities, and then there’s a little gap in between, sometimes I flow in that gap, but it’s still a niche. I go to grocery stores and nobody knows who the fu** I am. Real celebrities, the Kardashians can’t even leave their house. It depends on where I am. Maybe if I’m in Texas at a gas station or a grocery store maybe one or two people stop me but it’s usually just in gym settings.”

[/quote]
Unlike NBA legend Michael Jordan’s obsessive nature to only win, Bumstead has a healthy fear of losing that drives him as a competitor.

“A lot of people, a lot of bodybuilders at least, they have this really hardcore, even a lot of champions to be honest in the world, like Michael Jordan. People love him and he’s so fascinating but he’s so unrelatable. I can’t fathom having that killer mindset all the time of just needing to win, killing everybody, don’t even think about losing because that’s not who I am. I literally fear sometimes. I am afraid that I’m going to lose. I have fear in outcomes and stuff because I don’t know the outcome. And I’ve said things like, ‘I’m okay with losing.’ And people say that’s not a champion’s mindset,” Chris Bumstead shared.
[/quote]
Bumstead stressed the importance of having a strong bond with his business partners, friends, and family.

“I’ve always had the mindset like I said, and I think it’s the reason for my success, everything takes a team, it takes an army. You can’t do it all by yourself. There’s zero chance RAW would even be here or even exist anymore if I didn’t have my team, Dom and Matt, and everybody kind of coming together. And I wouldn’t be Mr. Olympia [in Classic Physique].”

[/quote]
Off-season efforts are underway for the 28-year-old champion. He checked in with fans at 253 pounds recently and revealed a 3,500-calorie diet he’s using in preparation for the 2023 Mr. Olympia contest, scheduled to take place this November.

Remaining a dominant champion is no easy task as the sport continues to grow. Bumstead is set to clash with 2023 Arnold Classic winner Ramon Queiroz at the next Olympia, who many consider his biggest threat.

Published: 20 April, 2023 | 12:59 PM EDT

Click here to view the article.

Back