Coss Marte: From Solitary Confinement to CONBODY Empire

Muscle Insider

Just to tell you what CONBODY is, CONBODY is a prison-style boot camp where we hire people coming out of the prison system to teach fitness classes. It was derived from my personal experience when I went into prison. I went in for running a multi-million dollar drug business, was incarcerated at 23, and was sentenced to seven years in prison.
My journey began when I went in the prison system and was told that my cholesterol levels were in danger of catching a heart attack within five years, if I didn’t change the way I ate, change the way I exercise, because I was not exercising. I was pretty overweight, my blood pressure was extremely bad. My cholesterol levels were extremely bad.

I was placed on medication, and I didn’t have the best food in prison. I did what I can, I stopped drinking all the, we call it, excuse my language, the sperm killing juice. That’s what they used to call it in prison. I stopped drinking that, it was fake cool idea, you know what I mean.

Then I stopped eating bread. All the complex carbs like spaghetti and all that stuff, and pasta, all that prison food, I just eliminated and threw it in the side of my plate, and just ate mostly vegetables. I did eat meats, mostly fish. That’s the diet I lived, and then I worked out excessively.

At first, it was extremely hard. I started working out probably 5, 10 minutes. I was like, “Fuck, this is way too hard.” I gave up, and I had the time to just reflect and think. Then just sit and being bored and just be motivated by seeing other people work out.

I put my head down and just started going out to the yard and running and going back to my prison cell and doing dips, push-ups, all types of calisthenics exercises. In the beginning of my journey, people would make fun of me because I was a big guy. They would call me fat Forrest Gump, or all these honeybun jokes like sweet cheeks, and stuff like that.

I just run around, and stick my middle finger out to them, and just keep going. I was just on a mindset of just getting in shape, and I continued moving, and I kept doing it for a very long time. I managed to lose 70 pounds in six months, and then I caught the eyes of other inmates.

There was one particular inmate named Buss. He was about 300-something pounds, really bad shape. He came up to me and said he wanted to run with me.

That same day, the prison yard had light poles around it, so we were running to one light pole, and then walking to the next light pole, running to one light pole, and we kept going with that. He was, not my client, but my friend that I was working out with.

Then he brought two of his other friends, I brought another friend, and it just became a camaraderie built where I helped over 20 inmates with over 1000 pounds combined.

I took that same workout method and started doing that in the local parks here, opened up the studio, have hired over 45 individuals now coming out of the prison system to teach fitness classes. It’s just been a crazy journey.

Just to tell you what CONBODY is, CONBODY is a prison-style boot camp where we hire people coming out of the prison system to teach fitness classes. It was derived from my personal experience when I went into prison. I went in for running a multi-million dollar drug business, was incarcerated at 23, and was sentenced to seven years in prison.

My journey began when I went in the prison system and was told that my cholesterol levels were in danger of catching a heart attack within five years, if I didn’t change the way I ate, change the way I exercise, because I was not exercising. I was pretty overweight, my blood pressure was extremely bad. My cholesterol levels were extremely bad.

I was placed on medication, and I didn’t have the best food in prison. I did what I can, I stopped drinking all the, we call it, excuse my language, the sperm killing juice. That’s what they used to call it in prison. I stopped drinking that, it was fake cool idea, you know what I mean.

Then I stopped eating bread. All the complex carbs like spaghetti and all that stuff, and pasta, all that prison food, I just eliminated and threw it in the side of my plate, and just ate mostly vegetables. I did eat meats, mostly fish. That’s the diet I lived, and then I worked out excessively.

At first, it was extremely hard. I started working out probably 5, 10 minutes. I was like, “Fuck, this is way too hard.” I gave up, and I had the time to just reflect and think. Then just sit and being bored and just be motivated by seeing other people work out.

I put my head down and just started going out to the yard and running and going back to my prison cell and doing dips, push-ups, all types of calisthenics exercises. In the beginning of my journey, people would make fun of me because I was a big guy. They would call me fat Forrest Gump, or all these honeybun jokes like sweet cheeks, and stuff like that.

I just run around, and stick my middle finger out to them, and just keep going. I was just on a mindset of just getting in shape, and I continued moving, and I kept doing it for a very long time. I managed to lose 70 pounds in six months, and then I caught the eyes of other inmates.

There was one particular inmate named Buss. He was about 300-something pounds, really bad shape. He came up to me and said he wanted to run with me.

That same day, the prison yard had light poles around it, so we were running to one light pole, and then walking to the next light pole, running to one light pole, and we kept going with that. He was, not my client, but my friend that I was working out with.

Then he brought two of his other friends, I brought another friend, and it just became a camaraderie built where I helped over 20 inmates with over 1000 pounds combined.

I took that same workout method and started doing that in the local parks here, opened up the studio, have hired over 45 individuals now coming out of the prison system to teach fitness classes. It’s just been a crazy journey.

Click here to view the article.

Back