Deadlift and Squat in the same week?

EMW14

Do you deadlift and squat in the same week? The way my work schedule has been the last 6 months or so, my training days are limited and close together. Usually Fri, Sat, Sun, so I try to get what I think of as "the big 3" - chest, back, legs - in on those days. Then try to fit shoulders and arms in whenever I can during the week. I have a little gym at work, limited equipment, but gets me by for that sort of thing.

What I'm getting at is, when I deadlift I do it on back day. This almost always ends up being within a day or two of leg day. A couple weeks ago, I did them both with 1 day of rest for my lower back (that meant having chest day in the middle). I didn't have any problems, but I didn't go as heavy as I might have otherwise on deadlift.

I periodically have lower back problems, so I try to be VERY careful not to injure myself!

So what do you do?

I do both in the same week as well. At least 5-6 sets of each. I dont go crazy with the reps though since I like to at least get 6 in on my last set.

I used to do them on the same day! But with my age now, I alternate each week, squats then deads. Moving them to back day sounds like a good idea.

I've always deadlifted on back day, when I've deadlifted. Haven't done them much in recent years, but have been bringing them back. Now trying to figure out the best way to get them in while keeping the rest of my workouts on track.

if you follow this
back
chest
shoulders
legs
arms

that gives you 3 days between deads and squats.. thats enough recovery.. technically 48 is enough.. but 72hr is optimal

I used to do same day 2x a week. Almost in a conjugate type system. Just go a little lighter and compensate with more volume on the deads if youre gonna run that split.

My lower back can't handle squats and deads on the same day! I've been doing back with deads on Fridays and squats on Sundays on the weeks I don't have to work Sunday. That gives me roughly 48 hours between as 3J suggested. The way my schedule is, can't get it spread out any further than that. But it's been working. Both lifts are going up slowly and haven't hurt myself, so I guess I'm good.

On leg day I also do stiff-leg deads for hamstrings and hyperextensions for hams also. These both recruit the lower back also, obviously.

Back