Favorite Back Exercises For Mass

Actually, cleans are extremely good for mass and strength building. It's a core exercise because it involves many large muscle groups at once. You have to be careful though because you can easily overtrain with these if you are a hardgainer. I'm probably the only one who does them at my gym--everyone always gives me funny looks when I do them--like they've 'never seen it before' and 'why is he doing that?' kind of looks.

Glad to see that I'm no the only one who giets those looks, lol. Yeah, ppl give me those looks when i'm doin cleans or when i'm doinf snacthes. Its one of those what the hell is he doing, and why the hell is he doing it to begin with, lol.

Yeah, there awesome for over size and thickness like snatches and deads.

PJT said:

What's up with these "rack chins"? Never done em'.

Sorry bro, didn't see the question. They're tough to explain kinda.

Go to the smythe machine at your gym and put the bar at about peck level. Get a bench that you'd use for dumbell presses and such. Put the bench in front of the smythe, about 3 feet away? What you're going to do is use the bench for your feet and make your body go into an "L" shape (while both hands are on the bar of the smythe). Esentually you're going to be doing lat pullups. Make sure your ass never gets higher than your feet that are on the bench. You can use plates on your lap or dumbells for extra added weight. Use wraps, and make sure your forehead hits the bar on the way up. You can also do the to the back, just go to where the bar hits the back or your head.

jaywooly said:
Are you looking for back thickness or width? or both?

Rack chins have built my lats like no other. That was my weakness, now I get compliments on that the most.

Thanks ass! My back is killing me from those rack chins!

Seriously though, those are my new favorite exercise!

I loaded up the plates on my lap and just pulled like hell to get myself up. I felt it hardcore in my lats and upper back. I did a really wide grip on them, I'll try some close grip next time (maybe). I can't believe this isn't a more common exercise!

Thanks Jay!

Exactly what I was looking for

Zylo said:
Thanks ass! My back is killing me from those rack chins!

Seriously though, those are my new favorite exercise!

I loaded up the plates on my lap and just pulled like hell to get myself up. I felt it hardcore in my lats and upper back. I did a really wide grip on them, I'll try some close grip next time (maybe). I can't believe this isn't a more common exercise!

Thanks Jay!

Exactly what I was looking for

Damn, these do work! Love em'
Thanks Jay!

I just hope there is no awkwardness between me and the regular chin up bar now. It's going to see me hanging out with the smythe machine all the time and it might get all psycho on me.

Back