For all the hunters on here

I am not into hunting anymore, not since i was a kid, and we couldnt use rifles in Jersey cause the terrain was too flat, but i wouldnt mind trying a rifle! Never used one, only used a shotgun

Jpotch where were these deer shot, I'm assuming north of the Missouri river...

I've noticed that the deer for some reason get huge north of the river, not too many that I would even bother to load a gun for south of there

- - - Updated - - -

I am not into hunting anymore, not since i was a kid, and we couldnt use rifles in Jersey cause the terrain was too flat, but i wouldnt mind trying a rifle! Never used one, only used a shotgun

it's the diff. between an ice pick and a machete

Jpotch where were these deer shot, I'm assuming north of the Missouri river...

I've noticed that the deer for some reason get huge north of the river, not too many that I would even bother to load a gun for south of there

- - - Updated - - -

it's the diff. between an ice pick and a machete

Yeah I heard that! But we get in loads of trouble if were caught hunting with a rifle, something about the bullets travel to far,lol. I always just wondered if I was a decent shot or not!

Oh but I had my Trappers License and that shit use to be fun! Muskrat traps and shit like that, i was a super hick back in the day!

Yeah I heard that! But we get in loads of trouble if were caught hunting with a rifle, something about the bullets travel to far,lol. I always just wondered if I was a decent shot or not!

there are some states that have this law...buy one and go to the firing range-preferable one that lets you go through the proper firing positions and just bench shooting

Last edited:
Oh but I had my Trappers License and that shit use to be fun! Muskrat traps and shit like that, i was a super hick back in the day!

trapping is actually considered a lost art, it is far more superior to hunting-it takes less time and energy

now people don't need to have that skill-they can just go to the store and buy food

Oh man, mostly around PA for whitetail but also Ohio and Illinois too. Ive done boar hunts in SC which were cool. Archery hunting is my true passion and if you want to be successful at harvesting a big mature buck it takes years of practice and a true understanding of deer and deer management. We use QDMA (quality deer management association) practices on our farm. We take it pretty seriously to say the least.
As far as rifle hunting goes for big game i almost always use a 308. The exception was an antelope hunt in wyoming where i took a 7mm rem mag bc its flatter shooting. 4-12 power scope is good unless you are shooting past 300yds. But that takes serious practice. And you dont need a real expensive set up either. Theres nothing wrong with a tasco or bushnell scope in my opinion and a remington rifle.

I hunt strictly out of tree stands and i hunt the wind. The only way to kill big mature bucks is to go undetected whether u make a shot or not. Strict scent control is important. I keep all my gear in a tote filled with pine and dirt and never open it indoors then use scent killer spray before entering the woods. Anyone can kill a 2 1/2 yr old buck but if u want a trophy it takes a real effort.

I start scouting with trail cams in july. This is when deer start patterning. Its a good time to assess the herd in your area. Now the further south you go the more you can push the time of year back. We have about 20 or so different stands throughout the farm with the exception of 'the sanctuary'. Which is an area of woods thats been select cut and very thick. Its roughly in the center of the farm and nobody goes in it to hunt. This allows the deer to remain unpressured.

As far as what time i go out. Early season is slow and usually the mature bucks are nocturnal at this time. So its a great time to be in the tree before sunrise and hunt for doe until about 9:30 am. Typically this early the deer will bed by 10 am so if u can find a trail thats on the way to the bedding area you'll have successful morning doe hunts. Dont waste your time in the early season hunting all day. Go grab lunch and head back out around 3:00 bc the deer wont move again till evening.

The pre rut and rut are the most fun. This is when the bucks are chasing does and fighting for dominance. If you know how to call and rattle this time can be so much fun. Its nothing for me to see 5 different bucks in a couple hours.

Anyways i could go on forever about deer hunting. For me its the entire experience. In archery you really have to be one with nature. It sounds funny but its almost a primal feeling. Anyone can shoot a deer 200 yds away with a rifle but to bring one into 30yds and make a kill with a bow is truly a challenge

All of these were in PA. From left to right they are 4 1/2 yr old, 3 1/2, 5 1/2, and 2 1/2 yr old. The five yr old was an old buck thats been around for a long time. I tried hard to kill him when he was 3 and 4 but then i thought he disappeared. Turns out my friends little boy was in the right spot one morning and he walked right in front of him.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention i use 150 grain bullets in my 308

Man I am so clueless. My dad (step dad) has been hunting all of his life. We are going this year for the first time. I'll probably use one of his rifles. They have over 30 rifles and damn near as many shotguns.
I wanted to try my hand at a squirrel today, but I was convinced that firing a .22 in the city at squirrels probably wouldn't be looked up favorably. Silk also wasn't crazy about the idea of squirrel pelts in the condo

Man I am so clueless. My dad (step dad) has been hunting all of his life. We are going this year for the first time. I'll probably use one of his rifles. They have over 30 rifles and damn near as many shotguns.
I wanted to try my hand at a squirrel today, but I was convinced that firing a .22 in the city at squirrels probably wouldn't be looked up favorably. Silk also wasn't crazy about the idea of squirrel pelts in the condo

lol, yeah I would wait til you got to the woods,lol, and I ate squirrel before, killed it myself and even cracked a back moler on a beebee i didnt get out,lol, And im sure your condo would look great with pelts in it,lol,

And im sure your condo would look great with pelts in it,lol,

That's what I've been telling Silk!! We can start out with some squirrels heads on the walls and go from there! Besides I'll need to get a head start on animal pelts and heads for the cabin!

Heres a couple big ones that were killed around my area. The last time I went hunting was about 5 years ago and took down an albano 5 pointer, I'll try to get some pics of the mount when I get home. But here are two monsters that some customers of mine killed this year.

facebook_2037475712.jpg

facebook_326352132.jpg

Back