Get your bloodwork done regularly

BigZ

BigZ MC Site Admin
Administrator
A good suggestion for us all: If you haven't done your bloodwork in a while, I'd suggest you get it done.

My recent bloodwork showed my hematocrit at 54. Not extremely high, but it's high and puts me at risk for a heart attack or stroke. I've always had a number on the high side, but it's gone over the limit a couple of times. This morning I had a therapeutic phlebotomy to get rid of the extra platelets, and it's the second time I've had to do this. The first time was earlier this year. Some of it was caused by genetics, and the rest was caused by the effects of the HRT. Can't be too careful, you only have one life.

Mine was 51 the last time I checked and the only thing I ever have to watch. My 51 hematocrit came with a 112 total cholesterol hahaha!

Cant you just donate blood to lower the red blood cell count?

Yes, as long as you aren't deferred. I have not been able to donate because if your blood pressure goes over a certain point on the diastolic (minimum or resting) they won't let you. It's a safety concern for some reason—which I find kind of dumb because if your hematocrit is high which causes the high blood pressure, you need to take it out by donating. If you can donate, check to see if they will let you donate double red blood cells. They do that for certain blood types because of need.

Mine was 51 the last time I checked and the only thing I ever have to watch. My 51 hematocrit came with a 112 total cholesterol hahaha!

I'm commonly about 51 avg, and I also have low total cholesterol, but the doc said you also have to watch the ratio between HDL and LDL. Out of 120 total, I had 108 LDL and 12 HDL, so that's a risk as well.

Back