Jake Paul vs. Ben Askren undercard officially adds three fights

9mm

MuscleChemistry MMA Site Representative
035_Frank_Mir.0.jpg
Esther Lin, MMA Fighting A trio of undercard bouts have been added to the pay-per-view event on April 17 that will be headlined by a boxing match between YouTube celebrity Jake Paul and retired UFC contender Ben Askren.
Triller made the announcements on Thursday with all three new fights being shown on the pay-per-view portion of the card.
The most notable fight made official was the showdown between former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir and boxing legend Antonio Tarver. The fight was previously confirmed but now it’s a done deal as Mir crosses over from mixed martial arts to boxing to face off with Tarver, who will be competing for the first time since 2015.
“I am a competitor. I have been all my life,” said Mir in a statement. “I take on challenges to grow and better myself as a person. I have always wanted to test myself in the boxing ring so when this opportunity arose I jumped on it. I will prove that MMA training in fact makes us the best boxers, and I stand for all MMA fans and fighters. This isn’t just a boxing match, this is the one that will finally prove the skill and dedication of all MMA fighters.”
The 52-year-old former boxing champion has faced a long list of top opponents during his day but he’s probably best known for a trilogy with Roy Jones Jr. where Tarver avenged an early loss by picking up a pair of wins over the former multi-weight class champion.
“It’s been a long-time coming. 52 is 52,” said Tarver in a statement. “Facts are facts. As pound for pound best heavyweight of my time I am bringing it. Mir is a great fighter but I hope he’s training hard because I’m coming at him like a freight train, and one that is unstoppable.”
Also added to the card was a fight between 25-1 veteran Regis Progais as he faces off against Ivan Redkach.
The third fight announced will see British millionaire and club promoter Joe Fournier take on Colombian reggaeton star Reykon. Fournier, who has previously teamed up with former boxing champ David Haye, had actually previously challenged Paul to a boxing match but now he’ll compete on his undercard instead.
The upcoming Paul vs. Askren card will take place on April 17 from the Mercedes-Benz Arena in Atlanta with the card airing live on pay-per-view through iNDemand for $49.99 with international sales directed through FITE TV.

{feed:enclosure_href }

More...

Back