Morning Report: Donald Cerrone on fight against former teammate Diego Sanchez: ‘This should be a fun highlight reel fight for me’

9mm

MuscleChemistry MMA Site Representative
101_Donald_Cerrone.0.0.jpg
Donald Cerrone | Esther Lin, MMA Fighting Diego Sanchez is looking for a dream fight against Donald Cerrone to end his career on. But according to ‘Cowboy’, it may turn out to be a nightmare for Sanchez.
Last week, it was reported that Sanchez and Cerrone would be facing off against one another in a welterweight bout at a UFC event on May 8. Prior to this bout announcement, Cerrone had said he was looking to stop competing at welterweight and return to the lightweight division but, speaking on his YouTube channel over the weekend, Cerrone explained why he’s taking one more welterweight fight before dropping down.
“Everyone was booked up,” Cerrone said. “All the fights were booked. Yeah, ‘55 is what I wanted to do. Then Diego Sanchez went and, I guess, showed up to the UFC and begged and pleaded with them to make me his retirement fight. So they called me and they asked me and I said, ‘Sure.’
“With this fight, yeah, it is at ‘70 but that doesn’t mean I’m going to get big. I’m gonna treat it like a ‘55 fight. I’m gonna try and walk in there at ‘70- or 168. Try and be on weight, fight at ‘70 and just be ready for moving my body down to 155. That’s the plan.”
Sanchez is already a UFC Hall of Famer (inducted for his bout with Clay Guida in 2009) and Cerrone is almost certain to join those ranks in the future and this fight itself is set to make history. The bout will feature the most combined UFC fights of any two fighters ever, with an astonishing 68 fights between the two of them, and once the cage door closes Cerrone will move into sole possession of the “most fights in UFC history” record (Sanchez will move into a tie for third).
But it’s more than just promotional history that’s at stake. Cerrone and Sanchez were previously training partners together at the famed Jackson-Winkeljohn gym in Albuquerque, NM. Cerrone had a very public falling out with Mike Winkeljohn and officially left the gym in 2018 and when he did, Sanchez sided firmly with the gym, even offering to face Cerrone back then. Nothing ever came of it and Sanchez himself ended up leaving Jackson-Wink in 2019, but Cerrone certainly hasn’t forgotten what Sanchez said and seems intent on proving a point in their fight.
“He says it’s two legends going at it,” Cerrone said. “I don’t think so. He talked a lot shit when I left Jackson’s and now he did the same thing and left. It’s funny. I was just doing what I had to do. Built my own gym, trained my own people, starting making this mold which I think was the right move to do in my career and he had a lot to say about it. He said he wanted to fight me so here’s his chance. Be careful what you wish for. So yeah, this should be a fun highlight reel fight for me.”
A highlight reel fight is just what Cerrone needs. He’s 2-4, 1 no-contest over the last two years, including three knockout losses. But while Cerrone hasn’t looked good lately, Sanchez has arguably looked even worse. Sanchez is 2-2 since 2018, with one of those wins being a DQ win in a bout he was getting dominated in. Plus, given the quality of their opposition, it’s not hard to see why Cerrone is feeling confident ahead of this fight. That being said, he insists that he’s not getting too confident, he’s just happy to send Diego Sanchez into retirement.
“I’m not overlooking the kid, by no means,” Cerrone said. “There’s areas where he could be dangerous and if I was fighting old Diego, 10 years ago, yeah, he was tough. Hard pace. I used to train with the guy, I know. . .
“He wants this to be his ride into the sunset, and I have no problem giving it to him.”

[h=1]TOP STORIES[/h]Results. Alexander Volkov and Cory Sandhagen scored big KOs at UFC Vegas 18.
Results. Britain Hart and Chris Leben won their bouts at Knucklemania.
Title. After stopping Alistair Overeem at UFC Vegas 18, Alexander Volkov is ‘looking to be a champion’.
Aspirations. Cory Sandhagen calls for title shot following flying knee knockout.
12 Gauge. After BKFC loss, Paige VanZant declares ‘I don’t quit when sh*t get tough, I’m in this for long haul’.
Farewell. Chris Leben on his retirement fight: ‘A beautiful way for me to cap my career’.
$$$$. Promoter: Jose Canseco made over $1 million in 10-second knockout loss at Rough N’ Rowdy 13.

[h=1]VIDEO STEW[/h]UFC Vegas 18 Post Show.

Knucklemania Post Show.

UFC 258 Countdown.

Inside the Octagon UFC 258.

Africa’s UFC Kings.

[h=1]LISTEN UP[/h]On to the Next One. Matchmaking for the UFC following UFC Vegas 18.
Severe MMA. Discussing the end of Frankie Edgar and Alistair Overeem.

[h=1]SOCIAL MEDIA BOUILLABAISSE[/h]Respect.
Support.
Cory Sandhagen's @ElevationMMA teammates reacting to his flying knee is awesome

(via @KidCannonTV) pic.twitter.com/ro6KQPrPE7
— ESPN MMA (@espnmma) February 7, 2021
Dispute.
I’ll Give You Elite, Fuck You @Justin_Gaethje & @CharlesDoBronxs You Didn’t Finish Shit. Told You I’d See You Soon. Crew Much Easier To See The Targets When They Are In Front. Beyond Disciplined. New Camp, New Times -Champ ?? -CSO- @CervezaMontejo ThisIsForLaRaza pic.twitter.com/RMyBx1ZvKN
— Tony Ferguson (@TonyFergusonXT) February 7, 2021
Charles couldn’t finish you but I certainly did. Check the tape champ. https://t.co/mPwg0tDCGc
— Justin Gaethje (@Justin_Gaethje) February 7, 2021
Now it all makes sense.
Accidental. I didn’t want to win. https://t.co/eGydQO7che
— Aljamain Sterling (@funkmasterMMA) February 8, 2021
Let go.

[h=1]FIGHT ANNOUNCEMENTS[/h]Mike Jackson (1-1) vs. Dean Barry (3-1); UFC Fight Night, May 1.

[h=1]FINAL THOUGHTS[/h]Thanks for reading and see y’all tomorrow.

[h=1]EXIT POLL[/h]

If you find something you’d like to see in the Morning Report, hit up @JedKMeshew on Twitter and let him know about it. Also follow MMAFighting on Instagram and like us on Facebook.

{feed:enclosure_href }

More...

Back