MyoGro

And what about western blot? If your testing methods are so accurate using the dilutions you posted why is there not a 100% accuracy rate? Just curious-not trying to be a smart ass.

in the undiluted serums in the ELISA test what rate of HIV antibody positives do you observe? Is there any changes as the serum is diluted? At what dilution do you (if you do) observe a positive become negative?-And who is the manufacturer of the test kit? Can these results be reproducible at another testing facility?

The Perkin Elmer p24 ELISA kit is the standard in most all research applications. To be honest, I'm not sure what they use for the clinical screens. I assume it's the same PE kit, being that's it's considered the best. A positive will turn into a negative at various dilutions depending on how high of a viral titer the person has. The curve generated by the standard is a 4 parameter curve i.e. a sigmoidal turning into another sigmoid. There isn't a linear proportionality between dilution and signal.
False readings are very possible due to each ELISA also having to include a series of dilutions of a positive standard. Cross contamination of wells is the most common reason for a false positive. I don't doubt that, on occassion, there are false positives due to other circumstances, but false positives are rare.
A Western really is not any more sensitive than an ELISA. With the low background and high sensitivity of the p24 kit in conjunction with the very sensitive plate readers of today, a Western is antiquated if you're using the same antibodies as you are in the ELISA. Concentrating sera is the best way to increase sensitivity, as you'll be increasing the amount of total IgG antibodies per mL, which will give you a better chance of detecting anti-HIV IgG. Same with pregnancy tests....home test versus clinical test, the only difference is that the med tech centrifuge your urine so as to increase sensitivity (more readily detect HCG).

einstein1905 said:
A positive will turn into a negative at various dilutions depending on how high of a viral titer the person has.

Okay, now this is what I am talking about concerning the validity of the antibody testing. I have read some data put forward by an MD at a large hospital in NYC that did some testing of his own-because he felt the dilution ratio in HIV testing was extremely high in regard to testing for Epstein Barr, CMV, etc. Actually, a good proportion of serologic tests require no dilution. I am going strictly off memory here-my library is at home-CMV and EB require a dilution of 1:10 to1:20.
What is interesting is his HIV testing protocol using ELISA called for a dilution ratio of 1:400 or so. He felt that was very high-so he tested over 100 samples of blood-including his own-at 1:400 there were no positives. However at 1:1 all the samples were positive. He wrote that this means-either one or all of these are true-
1) The test is not specific for HIV And/or
2) everyone has different levels of hiv infection and/or
3) Everyone has HIV antibodies

So the degree of dilution is what actually determines if one is antibody positive or negative-or how high the persons viral titer is determines hiv antibody status.

His test kit was from Abbot Labs-whether that makes a difference or not I do not know. I am curious as to what you make of this.

Last edited:
supersport said:
einstein1905 said:
A positive will turn into a negative at various dilutions depending on how high of a viral titer the person has.

Okay, now this is what I am talking about concerning the validity of the antibody testing. I have read some data put forward by an MD at a large hospital in NYC that did some testing of his own-because he felt the dilution ratio in HIV testing was extremely high in regard to testing for Epstein Barr, CMV, etc. Actually, a good proportion of serologic tests require no dilution. I am going strictly off memory here-my library is at home-CMV and EB require a dilution of 1:10 to1:20.
What is interesting is his HIV testing protocol using ELISA called for a dilution ratio of 1:400 or so. He felt that was very high-so he tested over 100 samples of blood-including his own-at 1:400 there were no positives. However at 1:1 all the samples were positive. He wrote that this means-either one or all of these are true-
1) The test is not specific for HIV And/or
2) everyone has different levels of hiv infection and/or
3) Everyone has HIV antibodies

So the degree of dilution is what actually determines if one is antibody positive or negative-or how high the persons viral titer is determines hiv antibody status.

His test kit was from Abbot Labs-whether that makes a difference or not I do not know. I am curious as to what you make of this.

I agree that if he got all positives at no dilution, then his three assumptions could very well be true. However, if he did get all positives, that kit is flawed. In a research setting, the PE p24 kit is it. You have to understand that the reason for the range of dilutions is for accuracy of quantification. Each positive signal, no matter the dilution, will be input into the equation for the 4 parameter standard curve line and then multiplied by its dilution factor to yield a pg/mL quantity. You know the test is accurate when this quantity is consistent at the various dilutions for which you get a positive signal. Also, another reason for the large range of dilutions is that the ELISA plate reader will only read signal (Absorbance) with in a certain acceptable range. Using serial dilutions will ensure that, if there is a positive signal, at least one of the dilutions will fall withing the optimal range for reading accurately (usually 2 or 3 dilutions will).
I can't vouch for the Abbott labs kit, but read the materials and methods of any recent HIV paper using ELISAs, and you'll see they use the PE kit.

So -in the serum sample that you have tested that you are sure are negative-one's of yours and your co-workers (I am using you and them because you get tested frequently so you know you are or at least have been antibody neg)-at the lower dilutions-by low I mean 1:1 or 1:5-are they all positive or is their a mix of pos and neg?

supersport said:
So -in the serum sample that you have tested that you are sure are negative-one's of yours and your co-workers (I am using you and them because you get tested frequently so you know you are or at least have been antibody neg)-at the lower dilutions-by low I mean 1:1 or 1:5-are they all positive or is their a mix of pos and neg?

No no no. Our serum always tests negative, even undiluted. Unless there is a contamination problem that affects the whole plate, of course, but then the assay will be redone. The only reason that we run undiluted samples is to see positives of the sera that may have a very low level of virus. The high dilutions are run so that those with a high viral load have some dilutions that fall within the readable range of absorbance units for proper quantification based on the standard curve.

Okay...this is conflicting with the research that I read from the doc in NYC that I posted previously. I have made email contact with him and I did write about your testing results. I am hoping for a response from him in the next few days-I am sure he is busy as he does travel internationally and goes to and participates in symposiums nationwide and in fact world wide. He did email me last night-and I emailed him this afternoon with some questions about the results you are finding. So while I wait (patiently-LOL) i do have some questions for you.
In the HIV positive patients you see I am curious about the percentage of CD-4 cells that are infected by HIV. I know that each patient is somewhat different-please feel free to use a "generalization" to encompass the majority of your findings. I am interested in some figures for patients that are positive that are asymptomatic, patients that meet criteria to be diagnosed as having "AIDS", and patients that are moribund, or end stage AIDS. I am sure that as AIDS progresses that the percentage of infected cells rise (in most cases)-but if you can give me some "average " figures to the best of your ability I would appreciate the info. I know that each patients cell counts and viral loads change daily and that there is sometimes a fairly large increase or decrease in patients numbers between each testing. If you could provide the figures in numbers such as 30 infected cells in 100 CD-4 cells, 15 infected cells per 100 CD-4 cells , and so on.
Thanks man-SS

Last edited:
supersport said:
Okay...this is conflicting with the research that I read from the doc in NYC that I posted previously. I have made email contact with him and I did write about your testing results. I am hoping for a response from him in the next few days-I am sure he is busy as he does travel internationally and goes to and participates in symposiums nationwide and in fact world wide. He did email me last night-and I emailed him this afternoon with some questions about the results you are finding. So while I wait (patiently-LOL) i do have some questions for you.
In the HIV positive patients you see I am curious about the percentage of CD-4 cells that are infected by HIV. I know that each patient is somewhat different-please feel free to use a "generalization" to encompass the majority of your findings. I am interested in some figures for patients that are positive that are asymptomatic, patients that meet criteria to be diagnosed as having "AIDS", and patients that are moribund, or end stage AIDS. I am sure that as AIDS progresses that the percentage of infected cells rise (in most cases)-but if you can give me some "average " figures to the best of your ability I would appreciate the info. I know that each patients cell counts and viral loads change daily and that there is sometimes a fairly large increase or decrease in patients numbers between each testing. If you could provide the figures in numbers such as 30 infected cells in 100 CD-4 cells, 15 infected cells per 100 CD-4 cells , and so on.
Thanks man-SS

I'm not going to be able to help you out much with the kind of numbers you're looking for. It's not the type of stats that are relevant to my research. So, if I were to give you stats on number of T cells infected, or proportion thereof, I'd have to look it up. It wouldn't be any of my data. My research currently deals with the infection of monocytes, macrophages, dendritic cells. Even then, I don't keep stats on the number infected. I could backtrack and do some rough math for those cell types, but they aren't very relevant either. I'm working on a transgenic murine model that has human analogs of any murine protein that disallows HIV susceptibility. It's a humanized mouse in that all of its immune cells are "human". That's a bit on a tangent, but it should explain in part why I don't keep the type of stats you're looking for.
In general though, as HIV infection progresses, obviously more Tcells become infected, which not only depletes the Tcell population and spawns exponential viral replication, but it weakens a person in the sense that their bodies reappropriate a substantial amount of energy trying to regenerate their immune system. I don't remember the threshhold T cell count, at which one is officially diagnosed with full blown AIDS.
Please keep in touch regarding correspondance with your Doc connection.

I believe-but not totally sure-that a patient is deemed to have "AIDS" when CD-4 counts drop to 200 or less and any one or more of the accepted opportunistic infections is present. A healthy person should have between 600-1200 or so CD-4 cells-of course in some cases a person with <200 CD-4 is perfectly healthy and others above 600 are sick-but the CDC set the 200 mark as the threshold if memory serves correct.
Sure, I will keep you posted on the MD that i contacted. Seems like I remember seeing his name on an African Advisory Board and some other things too. If he does email me back I am going to ask him if he would join us in this thread. Of course all of us have time restraints-he goes everywhere, but maybe I can convince him to join in.
Have a good weekend bro
---SS

thatdguy said:
so I guess this isn't about MyoGro anymore.. it's an HIV-knowledge thread?

No......it is still the MyoGro thread as far as I am concerned...I was just concerned about the validity of the study since it was done on some HIV positive subjects with wasting syndrome.....perhaps Einstein and I will continue our debate on this thread....or we could start another one dedicated to HIV. Personally I feel it is important for those in the BB'ing world to be familiar with the testing methods because I believe most BB's get frequent blood tests more so than the average citizen- and may incorporate an HIV antibody test while doing so. I know Einstein will disagree with me (and I don't have a problem with that-I believe truth emerges from controversy) but there is a growing body of research and a growing membership of MD's and scientist that are disputing the HIV-AIDS hypothesis and have questions regarding the validity of the testing. Perhaps in the next few days or weeks Einstein and I will start a new thread entirely dedicated to this subject as I believe many members would be interested in reading about it.

so.. are you trying to disprove the validity of the studies on MyoGro or on the MGF (Mechano Growth Factor???)

Is there any concrete human data that either of these work? I just started taking MyoGro myself...

thatdguy said:
so.. are you trying to disprove the validity of the studies on MyoGro or on the MGF (Mechano Growth Factor???)

Is there any concrete human data that either of these work? I just started taking MyoGro myself...
This is a great opportunity to document results then.
If you don't mind, you should post before/after stats. Also, what else are you taking? If you're taking something else, have you taken it before, so you know how you react to it? It'd be great to get some real world results. How much are you taking and where are you sticking it so far?

I'll post a bigger update tomorrow. I started myogro (siRNA myostatin binder) and deca, t3, dbol, cyp, letrozole and propecia. Sor far day 3 I'm up at least 2lbs.

I'll get more in depth tomorrow about stats, measurements, dosages, etc.

thatdguy said:

I am just curious as to why the test subjects included people suffering from wasting syndrome. A person suffering from wasting syndrome may experience rapid and substantially more significant gains than a person in good health. Or vise-versa.

I simply do not know enough about MyoGro or MGF or any of the interleukins to make a personal decision regarding any of these compounds. I think it is very cool that Proud is taking the plunge and posting the results. I have read just a little about Il-15....looks like it may be promising to me. But sometimes there is a huge discrepancy between a study and actual real world results. Go for it Proud!!! And what is cool is proud appears (by his avatar anyway) to be very lean...which IMO will show more accurate results.

I am taking MyoGro and Arg3-IGF1. I've taken IGF-1 before and feel that the gains in weight will be minor, but physique will improve dramatically. I'll get cut up and gain vascularity. With MyoGro.. who knows.. those people taking MyoGro with 4 other steroids - the test is obviously too ineffective to know how much of it is coming from myogro... I got mine from silo.. anyone know how good the company is?

einstein1905 said:
The Perkin Elmer p24 ELISA kit is the standard in most all research applications. To be honest, I'm not sure what they use for the clinical screens. I assume it's the same PE kit, being that's it's considered the best. A positive will turn into a negative at various dilutions depending on how high of a viral titer the person has. The curve generated by the standard is a 4 parameter curve i.e. a sigmoidal turning into another sigmoid. There isn't a linear proportionality between dilution and signal.

Einstein,

Could you explain this?... Is the multi-modal reponse seen within the range of absorbance of your ELISA, or is it partially due to inaccurate readings for dilutions that fall nearly or entirely out of range?...

BTW, great discussion, Guys. Impressively enthusiastic as well as civil. I can't imagine Presser would care about bandwidth terribly, unless this becomes a trend. (BTW, if you are concerned about taking up server space, simply remember to clip your quotes to the pertinent info., or not quote at all.)

-Randy

Back