New attempt at calf growth... 30 days

Ok, we know the calves are made up of two groups: Gastrocnemius and Soleus. The exercises you listed work the soleus first, and then the other exercises work both to a degree. Calf presses are good, but to get full contraction, you should be doing standing calf raises to work the gastrocnemius completely. That's the muscle group that will give you the most size. Since the soleus is underneath the gastrocnemius, building it up gives the calves a thicker, fuller 3D look from the side.

The other thing is that although the calves are made up of more endurance fibers, they still need rest and recuperation to grow like any other muscle. 4-5 times a week may be overkill with that many reps, even for calves.

If I was to try your program, I would do standing calf raises, then the calf presses, then the seated calf raises. And then I'd work them no more than 2-3 times per week to let them recover enough between workouts. I think I will actually try this. I've always done just standing then seated calf raises in the DC training schedule which makes it once per week then twice per week. I don't really do that much, maybe 4-5 sets of 10-15 reps of each exercise, and I have close to 18" calves just maintaining their size. I'm definitely not genetically blessed either.

I can't do standing just yet because of the neck surgery just yet. I've done the more reasonable training before and I just haven't gotten the results I need.

Ah, makes more sense. If this program works for you, I'd expect you'll see results within a couple of weeks. I'll be anticipating to hear your progress.

Ah, makes more sense. If this program works for you, I'd expect you'll see results within a couple of weeks. I'll be anticipating to hear your progress.

The response to training has been good as far as the work output that my calves have built up. It's all in the measurements. So we'll see on March 14

Didn't train at all yesterday, but I've been hammering calves. I measured just now completely cold and they are up a solid 1/4". Not great, but its a 1/4" I didn't have before. My calves are constantly sore as are my arches in feet, but after the first set the pain is gone. It's not bad, just a constant DOMS pain. I'm going to ride this out and continue. Even a solid 1/2" would be great

I'm pretty pumped. Now I've been brutalizing them about 4 times a week, but this morning they are a solid 17 1/4 and a smidge over 17 1/2". I'm extraordinarily excited. I'm starting IGF in them very shortly and will keep a total detailed IGF log, but I'm going to hit 18"!! I know it

I'm pretty pumped. Now I've been brutalizing them about 4 times a week, but this morning they are a solid 17 1/4 and a smidge over 17 1/2". I'm extraordinarily excited. I'm starting IGF in them very shortly and will keep a total detailed IGF log, but I'm going to hit 18"!! I know it
This is pretty incredible. I really didn't know that this sort of super volume training actually worked.

It makes me wonder if it would work for abs.

This is pretty incredible. I really didn't know that this sort of super volume training actually worked.

It makes me wonder if it would work for abs.

Its rough man. I'm teeter tottering on overtraining them, but this is a muscle designed to take a huge beating on a regular basis through walking and running. I've tried most of the other stuff so I'm giving this an honest go

Tomorrow I'll measure. They are noticeably bigger and stronger. Been sticking to a 2 second peak contraction and 2 second stretch at the bottom so each rep is 5 seconds. I'm up 100lbs and maybe 5 reps from my starting points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There it is. A little over two months of relentless abuse. 18 1/8 on the left 18 1/4 on the right. And still going!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to switch calf press machines so I could add weight and keep my sets in the 3 minute range. I'm also using about 30% more on the standing machine. It's only 160lbs, but my sets last 3minutes and sometimes longer.

The Dude Approved

Awesome results, bro! I'm going for it myself!

I've been amazed. I think the stretching is a huge factor. It's excruciating. I can usually make it 40 seconds with 100lbs on my shoulders. I do 2 of those

The Dude Approved

I'm finding that my calves are building up some serious attenuation to training. I hammered them pretty good Monday and Tuesday. They felt ready to rock today, but I skipped them anyway.
I'm pretty amazed at the abuse they can take and still want more. It's clear to me now that I have simply been under training them for twenty years

The Dude Approved

Back