Nick Best Set Two Masters Powerlifting World Records One Year After Tearing His Lat

Muscle Insider

A little over one year to the day after suffering a torn lat at the 2021 Kern US Open, powerlifter and strongman legend Nick Best returned to the platform at the 2022 World Raw Powerlifting Federation (WRPF) FQ Classic in Las Vegas, NV, on Sunday, May 1, 2022.
The strongman and powerlifter set two WRPF World Records in the Masters 50-54, 140 kilograms raw with wraps category. Best squatted 372.5 kilograms (821.5 pounds) and deadlifted 337.5 kilograms (744 pounds) later in the meet.
Image Courtesy of @vegassupernova on Instagram Stories
Editor’s Note: Best told BarBend that he set the squat World Record and WRPF National deadlift record. However, the WRPF page on Open Powerlifting list Best’s squat and deadlift as World Records. BarBend has reached out to both Open Powerlifting and the WRPF for clarification. We will update this article if and when we hear back.
The summary of Best’s meet is below:

Squat — 372.5 kilograms (821.5 pounds) | WRPF National Record
Bench Press — 209.5 kilograms (462 pounds)
Deadlift — 337.5 kilograms (744 pounds) | WRPF National Record
Total — 919.5 kilograms (2,027.5 pounds)

In a phone call with BarBend, Best says this marks the 26th year that he has squatted over 800 pounds and totaled over 2,000 pounds in a sanctioned meet.
“I’m a little sore, but overall I’m very happy with how the meet went, and I’m proud of the performance,” Best said. “I’m really happy with the bench too because considering I couldn’t move a 2.5-pound dumbbell after my surgery, benching 462 now is pretty good.”
For context, Best’s bench press at the FQ meet is 11 kilograms under his best-ever in competition.
This is Best’s first full meet since tearing his lat on April 24, 2021, at the Kern US Open while trying to deadlift 372.5 kilograms. His record pull at the FQ Classic is a sign that all the focus he committed on his recovery has paid off. Even though he didn’t pull 800 pounds at this meet, it’s in his sights.
It will be back up into the 800s over four to five months.
Best currently holds four WRPF World Records in the Masters 50-54, 140-kilogram category — a 220-kilogram bench press, a 920-kilogram total, and now a 337.5-kilogram deadlift and 372.5-kilogram squat.

The 53-year-old is far from done competing this year. He will return to strongman in 2022 at the 2022 Clash of the Masters on July 23rd in Colombia, MO. Best will then enter the 2022 Masters World’s Strongest Man contest, which he has won before in his career. He told BarBend that he would also compete in another powerlifting meet before the year ends.
Featured Image: @vegassupernova on Instagram

A little over one year to the day after suffering a torn lat at the 2021 Kern US Open, powerlifter and strongman legend Nick Best returned to the platform at the 2022 World Raw Powerlifting Federation (WRPF) FQ Classic in Las Vegas, NV, on Sunday, May 1, 2022.

The strongman and powerlifter set two WRPF World Records in the Masters 50-54, 140 kilograms raw with wraps category. Best squatted 372.5 kilograms (821.5 pounds) and deadlifted 337.5 kilograms (744 pounds) later in the meet.

Image Courtesy of @vegassupernova on Instagram Stories
Editor’s Note: Best told BarBend that he set the squat World Record and WRPF National deadlift record. However, the WRPF page on Open Powerlifting list Best’s squat and deadlift as World Records. BarBend has reached out to both Open Powerlifting and the WRPF for clarification. We will update this article if and when we hear back.

The summary of Best’s meet is below:

• Squat — 372.5 kilograms (821.5 pounds) | WRPF National Record
  • Bench Press — 209.5 kilograms (462 pounds)
  • Deadlift — 337.5 kilograms (744 pounds) | WRPF National Record
  • Total — 919.5 kilograms (2,027.5 pounds)
In a phone call with BarBend, Best says this marks the 26th year that he has squatted over 800 pounds and totaled over 2,000 pounds in a sanctioned meet.

“I’m a little sore, but overall I’m very happy with how the meet went, and I’m proud of the performance,” Best said. “I’m really happy with the bench too because considering I couldn’t move a 2.5-pound dumbbell after my surgery, benching 462 now is pretty good.”

For context, Best’s bench press at the FQ meet is 11 kilograms under his best-ever in competition.

This is Best’s first full meet since tearing his lat on April 24, 2021, at the Kern US Open while trying to deadlift 372.5 kilograms. His record pull at the FQ Classic is a sign that all the focus he committed on his recovery has paid off. Even though he didn’t pull 800 pounds at this meet, it’s in his sights.

It will be back up into the 800s over four to five months.

[/quote]
Best currently holds four WRPF World Records in the Masters 50-54, 140-kilogram category — a 220-kilogram bench press, a 920-kilogram total, and now a 337.5-kilogram deadlift and 372.5-kilogram squat.

[/quote]

The 53-year-old is far from done competing this year. He will return to strongman in 2022 at the 2022 Clash of the Masters on July 23rd in Colombia, MO. Best will then enter the 2022 Masters World’s Strongest Man contest, which he has won before in his career. He told BarBend that he would also compete in another powerlifting meet before the year ends.

Featured Image: @vegassupernova on Instagram

Click here to view the article.

Back