To squat or not to squat

Zeus

MuscleChemistry Registered Member
Gold Member
I love doing squats. I'm not a real heavy sqauter, But I do think that tehy are a must for leg develoment. I was really surprised to learn that there have been some great pro's that never squated and had just incredible legs. I guess if you can get away without doing sqauts then more power to you. I unfortunatly am not one of those people. Without sqauts i would never have made the gains that I definately needed for total leg develoment.

Squats are a necessary building block I feel too.. Research also says squats hype up testosterone levels more than normal which is why some do a small muscle group after legs to take advantage of the extra t in the system. .. I lovem too.. I'm tall so I'm no 500lb pusher but reps of 300+ work good for me..

Good post Zeus ... I sure dont see the younger generation doing squats for some reason and they wonder why they have seedlings for legs..

Last edited:
I love doing squats. I'm not a real heavy sqauter, But I do think that tehy are a must for leg develoment. I was really surprised to learn that there have been some great pro's that never squated and had just incredible legs. I guess if you can get away without doing sqauts then more power to you. I unfortunatly am not one of those people. Without sqauts i would never have made the gains that I definately needed for total leg develoment.

i couldnt agree with ya more bro, they are essential and build everything really! A must for anyone starting out who is serious , however i will say this, once you have very good development from squatts i do believe you can maintain through machines, i know i have, cause i cant squat anymore due to my knees but kept my legs nice with machines for years, even added good muscle on machines, but i dont think my legs would have gotten to where they were without first squatting! Now days my legs arent very impressive at all, but they were once my absolute best bodypart, and i also attribute that to loads of heavy high rep inner and outers, yes the gir machine! lol

with a Smith Machine available, there is really no reason not to squat.

what if you only have one leg, then what genious! seriously though, i count the smith machine as a machine and not real squatts, just aint the same, but ur right if theirs a smith in the house then use it if possible, unless ur missing a leg ofcourse

what if you only have one leg, then what genious! seriously though, i count the smith machine as a machine and not real squatts, just aint the same, but ur right if theirs a smith in the house then use it if possible, unless ur missing a leg ofcourse

It's all about balance, you can squat with one leg, take my word for it and give it a go

Hello musclechemistry. I am the only one in my gym that regularly squats. the gym has a smith that articulates back and forth, so the only assistance by the machine is side balance. works nice. I don't really like squatting on a smith with only straight up and down movement, it hurts my knees. Great place you have here!

They cut a nerve when I had my knee replaced. So now when I thrust up on squats it sends a stinging shock down my shin. I still do em just not like I use too and my legs are completely different now than they were before my surgery. My upper thighs have a lot of mass but right above my knees is pitiful. Just plum sad...

i couldnt agree with ya more bro, they are essential and build everything really! A must for anyone starting out who is serious , however i will say this, once you have very good development from squatts i do believe you can maintain through machines, i know i have, cause i cant squat anymore due to my knees but kept my legs nice with machines for years, even added good muscle on machines, but i dont think my legs would have gotten to where they were without first squatting! Now days my legs arent very impressive at all, but they were once my absolute best bodypart, and i also attribute that to loads of heavy high rep inner and outers, yes the gir machine! lol

I never do those for legs and thought they were UN - MANLY...maybe i should consider adding them into my leg training

with a Smith Machine available, there is really no reason not to squat.

The Smith Machine, now there's a love/hate machine. The lovers claim it keeps them right in line, perfecting their form and eliminating or reducing injury. The haters say because it keeps you in this form that you have no room for individual lateral movement, this increases chance of injury.

So take your pick.....

I prefer good old fashioned burning squats. But 9 days ago I cramped my hamstring running sprints so I will head to the Smith for at least 1 or 2 WO's

Ive had back surgery and I squat. I use the body master squat machine though. I will never use free weight squats again. I squat every wed morning. Sometimes heavy sometimes light. Depending on how I feel. Im 50. Great exercise. Oh yea I go all the way down, none of this half rep shit

Hello musclechemistry. I am the only one in my gym that regularly squats. the gym has a smith that articulates back and forth, so the only assistance by the machine is side balance. works nice. I don't really like squatting on a smith with only straight up and down movement, it hurts my knees. Great place you have here!

Nice to have you here!!! I hate squatting on a smith no matter what. I want to work every muscle including the stabilizers so using a smith takes away from some of that. I'd rather use a lighter weight and do all the work myself than use more weight, but have the support of the machine even if it's not really much help. Not to mention the motion of the smith (straight up and down) is not comfortable for me as I sit back entirely too much for a smith

If you really want to get good size on your legs, squats are a must! Even if you do not go heavy. Back when I powerlifted, if my squat strength went up, my bench press went up. Squats are a "true" measure of strength. I miss the hell out of them....knees are too bad to do them anymore.

Welcome IRoSANITY and SAMSOMSUPPLY !! Nice to see new members.. Take it like this guys.. Any type a leg workout is better than nothin and haven corn stalks.. Do what you can and what's accessible to use and keep on pushin iron bruthas!!!

I like using the smith for squats sometimes if I just want to hit the quads and glutes directly as opposed to fighting the weight. I think a good mixture is important but I don't think the smith should completely replace a free squat.

Zeus said:

What kind of weight do u work with ? Rep range ?

I can't use a smith for squats unless my legs are way far out in front of me. I do not allow my knees to come out over my toes and really don't want them coming out over my ankle bone. So in order for me to have this happen on a smith, it has to be with my feet really far out which just isn't comfortable

I never do those for legs and thought they were UN - MANLY...maybe i should consider adding them into my leg training

I read many years ago that between the 2 of those exercies it hit 2/3rd of your legs muscles, so i started doing them and never looked back, it was an old jay Cutler Article so i figured if he did them I would to,lol

Back