Video: Fighter appears to lose finger at CFFC 94

9mm

MuscleChemistry MMA Site Representative
finger.0.jpg
Officials check on Khetag Pliev at a CFFC event in Philadelphia on Friday | @ChillemDeebo, Twitter (Warning: Post contains video and images of graphic injury)
One of the most bizarre injuries in combat sports history appeared to take place at CFFC 94 on Friday.
Middleweight Khetag Pliev appeared to lose a finger in the middle of his co-main event bout with Devin Goodale. The injury was noticed in between the second and third round, with commentators John Morgan and CM Punk almost at a loss for words to describe what they were seeing.
pic.twitter.com/biHP0mNSpw
— Takedown Notice (@ChillemDeebo) April 2, 2021
After some speculation, the commentators concluded that Pliev’s ring finger had somehow become detached from his hand.
What the fuck???? Khetag Pliev's finger is gone #CFFC94 pic.twitter.com/svNeLy8ygd
— caposa (@Grabaka_Hitman) April 2, 2021
So. A fighter just lost his finger. @CFFCMMA @UFCFightPass #CFFC94
— player/coach (@CMPunk) April 2, 2021
It’s unclear how the injury might have occurred and at what point Pliev’s digit separated from the rest of his body. The fighters engaged in a prolonged grappling sequence against the fence in round two and Pliev appeared to complain about opponent Devin Goodale holding onto his glove, which drew a warning from the referee. But otherwise, none of the parties in the cage noticed if Pliev’s finger was missing.
Goodale, who officially won by TKO at the 5:00 mark of round two, was just as confused as everyone else when interviewed after the fight.
“I can’t remember anything, I don’t know,” Goodale said. “I got hit by something apparently—I don’t remember what happened.”
A public announcement was then made at the venue alerting those present that the search was on for Pliev’s finger.
They just made a PA announcement at #CFFC94 that they are trying to locate a fighter's missing finger.

It evidently fell off into his glove during the bout and is missing somewhere in the venue.
— Aaron Bronsteter (@aaronbronsteter) April 2, 2021
After further deliberation, Punk was still unable to make sense of the situation, only confirming that as far as anyone knows, Pliev’s finger is gone.
“I don’t understand exactly what happened,” Punk said on the broadcast. “We’re not gonna replay it for you, ladies and gentlemen, but it wasn’t a compound fracture. It wasn’t a dislocation, a break, a laceration. His finger was just gone. It’s gone. It fell off, ripped off.”
A request for comment sent to Pennsylvania commission executive director Greg Sirb was not immediately returned.
CFFC 94 aired live on UFC Fight Pass.

{feed:enclosure_href }

More...

Back