Walnuts Fix Bad Cholesterol

bigdaddyo1617

[h=1]Walnuts Fix Bad Cholesterol[/h]
[h=6][/h] <form action="/?5312/rate" method="post" id="cms_cmsrate_form"> </form>

Published on 05-22-2014 07:33 AM

101522d1400762171-walnut.jpg

From Ergo Log

Walnuts protect against cardiovascular disease, and thanks to a small human study published by Ella Haddad in Nutrition Journal we better understand why. Walnuts prevent 'bad cholesterol' LDL from oxidising and thus reduce the chance of LDL causing damage to blood vessels.

People who eat lots of nuts live longer than people who don't. This is mainly because nuts reduce the chance of developing fatal cardiovascular disease. Nutritionists agree on this, but how and why nuts have this effect remains an unknown quantity.

Researchers at Loma Linda University in the US tried to find out more about how walnuts work by doing an experiment on 16 adults. On one occasion the subjects were given breakfast that consisted of 90 g walnuts [Walnut] and on another occasion a breakfast based on oil, white bread and egg protein [Control].

101521d1400762105-walnutldl3.gif

After consuming the control meal, the amount of oxidised LDL in the blood rose. LDL is a bit like a molecular oil tanker, which transports cholesterol through your blood vessels. Oxidised LDL is like a leaking oil tanker. A small oil leak means that the blood vessel walls have to absorb lots of cholesterol and bad fats, and as a result the vessels become narrower.

101520d1400762087-walnutldl.gif

After consuming walnuts the amount of oxidised LDL did not increase. The researchers believe that this was partly due to the vitamin E analogue gamma tocopherol. Walnuts contain large amounts of gamma tocopherol, and after eating walnuts the concentration of this protective vitamin rose in the subjects' blood.

101519d1400762073-walnutldl2.gif

Nuts also contain catechins. Together with the gamma tocopherol these reduce the effect of aggressive molecules, free radicals, the researchers believe. And as a result gamma tocopherol and catechins also protect LDL against oxidation.

The researchers base this theory on other observations: they found a higher antioxidant effect [ORAC] in the blood after the walnut meal and also less malondialdehyde. Malondialdehyde is a marker for free radical activity.

101518d1400762055-walnutldl4.gif

Source:
Nutr J. 2014 Jan 10;13:4. Effect of a walnut meal on postprandial oxidative stress and antioxidants in healthy individuals. Haddad EH, Gaban-Chong N, Oda K, Sabate J.

Source: http://www.ergo-log.com/walnuts-make...-harmless.html

I'm eating on a bag of them right now and I use them crush to breadcrumb tuna steaks and salmon filets. I eat a good bit of them daily.

LMAO yea they are so good and I'm constantly hungry so between them and greek yogurt I'm a snacking machine.

Back