A Pro Bodybuilders Cycle and mind set.

drtbear1967

Musclechemistry Board Certified Member
A pro bodybuilder could spend $8,000 to $20,000 for a16-week competition cycle.
Most pros are regularly monitored by trusted doctors whoknow exactly what they're using.
Most health issues and deaths associated with bodybuildersare related not to steroid use but rather recreational drug use. That beingsaid, diuretics and insulin can get a bodybuilder into trouble.

This article contains the real drug cycle of a professionalbodybuilder. Do not attempt it.
Editor's Note: T Nation was approached by an IFBB probodybuilder who wanted to write anonymous articles for us as well as answerquestions honestly in our steroid forum.After verifying his identity we decided to give him a platform. "ShadowPro" was born.

The Truth
Remember those heated debates you heard as a kid about whether or not pro wrestling was real? Well, when I first started bodybuildingthere were people actually arguing about whether or not the pros used steroids and other drugs.

You can't blame them (entirely). The magazines at the time never said a word about steroids and the pros of course couldn't be forthright when someone was brave enough to ask. It was a huge secret... and yet it really wasn't.
Today things have changed, but I still hear a lot of lies and misconceptions about steroid use in professional, amateur, and"natural" bodybuilding.
Most of this comes from online rumors and internet"gurus" throwing around nonsense. I want to set a few things straight about the real cycles used by pros and top amateurs.

I think any steroid – or any other drug for that matter –can put you at risk if it's abused. That being said, if I had to pick one area that can get competitive bodybuilders into trouble it's diuretics. When you get close to a professional level show, the body is already in a vulnerable state at that point.

But people take diuretics for years for blood pressure purposes without any issue. If the drugs are being used intelligently then any risk can be avoided. The only problem is when they're abused and overused before a show.

Insulin is very dangerous if the bodybuilder is uneducated.If you really know what you're doing, you can use it safely. But if you'reusing it for extended amounts of time and not following appropriate protocols you can run into fatal issues.
If you don't know what you're doing and you take too much you can actually die, but it's not the actual drug that's dangerous – it's the uneducated use.

Bodybuilders "Dying of Steroid Use"

It does not happen. This is a big misconception and the most moronic thing I've ever heard.
The media likes to blow up stories like this and blame steroids immediately, without any kind of investigation into the subject. The people who are writing these stories have no educational background in sport.There has yet to be any kind of proof that the reason for death was purely from steroid use.
Then again, when you look at the government officials who made prohormones illegal, it just goes to show you the kind of idiots who are making the decisions about our lives.

Of course, there are stupid people out there. I knew a bodybuilder taking 36 IU of GH every day, up to 5-6 grams of oils every week,and 100 IU of insulin everyday. Those are crazy amounts – very extreme.
I honestly think the dumbest thing bodybuilders can do is go out on the weekend and abuse recreation drugs while on a cycle. It puts them at a huge risk for health issues.

The Price of Being Juiced
Bodybuilding isn't exactly a sport people get into if they want to make money. It's not the NFL unfortunately.
In most cases, a pro bodybuilder could spend more on a competition cycle than he or she can win at the show! I compete in bodybuilding because I love the sport; it's not for fame or fortune.

As a professional bodybuilder, I've spent $20,000 for 16 weeks. This was my most expensive cycle and it was mostly due to the GH for this particular run.
Somewhere in the range of $8,000 to $15,000 would be more typical for someone at my level. It all depends on the price of GH. I get mine from the pharmacy so it's always pricey.

A Pro Bodybuilder's Cycle

So what do top bodybuilder's use and how much? I'll tell you.
Just keep in mind that this is not a "how to" or a prescription, just an honest look at what's really being used by pros. An actual cycle is very individual and should be changed according to individual needs.

16-Week Cycle: General Usage

Cut long esters at 6-8 weeks out and switch to short-acting compounds.
Increase anti-estrogens as the show get closer in order to get harder and dryer. This is where a lot of people fail because of lack of knowledge on the subject.
Testosterone should be cut anywhere between 2-4 weeks out. Some people can get away with going all the way to the show but it really depends on the person. If they're going for a very hard and dry look, then likely they'll cut it earlier.
Make sure supplementation is on target during the cycle to protect your health. I use liver support supplements, Flameout, Curcumin, etc.
Simplicity is the key; a cycle doesn't need to be fancy. If a bodybuilder is not advanced or experienced – and most who think they are actually aren't! – he should go with a lower dosage.

16-Week Sample Cycle: Moderate to High Dosage
This is an example of a common pro-bodybuilder cycle. It's something I've done before and I do not recommend this for anyone!
1-10 Testosterone Enanthate, 750mg a week (1000-1200mg advanced)
1-10 EQ, 800mg a week (1000mg advanced)
1-10 Tren E, 600mg/week (800mg advanced)
1-8  D-Bol, 50mg every day (up to 100mg advanced)
10-16 100mg Testosterone prop EOD (100mg ED advanced)
10-16 100mg Trenbolone Acetate EOD (75-100mg ED advanced)
10-16 100mg Masteron propionate EOD (100mg ED advanced)
10-16 50mg Winstrol or Anavar ED (sometime I do both)
8-16 Start T3 at 25mcg ED and taper up as needed.
12-16 Halotestin, start at 20mg ED and increase by 10mg every week (not a good choice for those who aren't mentally strong.)

Pharmaceutical GH 6-12 IU ED for the whole cycle (If people can afford more then the sky is the limit. I know guys who've gone up to 30 IUbut this is rare.)
Insulin For advanced lifters only! 5-10 IU pre-workout followed by drinking Plazma™right away. This is a moderate dosage, a lot of guys are using much more.
When to cut insulin is very individual and depends on conditioning, water retention and the amount of carbs the bodybuilder is eating. It could be run straight through or cut out in the weeks prior to the show and possibly reintroduced later on.

Clenbuterol is on option starting at 6-8 weeks out. Moststart low, 20-40mcg.

Anti-Estrogens

Nolvadex (Tamoxifen): 20mg ED for the whole cycle, taper up if needed starting at 6 weeks out.
Arimidex for the whole cycle starting at 1mg EOD and taper up as needed from 6 weeks out.
Proviron starting at 8 weeks out at 25mg ED and taper up as the show gets closer, up to 100mg ED.
Note: This doesn't cover the last week. The peak week is very complicated and not easily generalized so I didn't include it.
Anyone doing a cycle like this is very advanced and knows that the final week will change from show to show. There's no set plan for it. If someone gives you a set plan for your last week without looking you over and making changes based on how you look, he's an idiot.

T Nation

Last edited:
you know, I havent done it in years, but I use to use Nolvadex throughout my entire cycles when I younger and never felt as though it hindered my gains and I was always rock hard , now days however, I don't use much gear, lol, little bit of testosterone and maybe sneak in some of this or that once in a great while lol

"Most pros are regularly monitored by trusted doctors who know exactly what they are using"? I don't believe that at all. The only doctors that would do this are quacks.
And I think that the "pro's cycle" is phony. There was discussion by 2 pros on the Mus. dev. site on drug usage. Dorians Yates says he never used more than 1500 mg. a week. Kevin Levrone says he only used anadrol, deca durabolin and testosterone.
There was an article in the Oct.,2009 issue of Mus. Dev. Mag. called Olympia Anabolic Stack. By Dan Gwartney,MD. It was a lenghty discussion, but the conclusion was that "a person is as likely to discover the actual cycles of the top professionals as they are to get the recipe for Coca-Cola".
This thread is just somebody's opinion on what the pro's cycle should be, and is far from the truth.

Everything is someone's opinion. I do know that back in the day the pro's didn't have to take as much as what they were getting was the real deal. Much of what we get now is under dosed or fake.

I am with you presser, a little Test and that is about it.

I have seen these estimates of the pro's cycles before. About 6 years ago on the Prof. muscle site , a guy put up Coleman's drug routine. He called it the K.I.S.S. routine.(keep it simple stupid.) The routine was supposed to be around the time Coleman was at his peak. It involved using Organon's deca durabolin and sustanon ampules, made by a real pharma Organon. Around 2000 there were few UGL's and the main source was from real pharmas. Coleman was supposed to take a large number of these ampules every day. I would not repeat the number because it was almost unreal. The things that give validity to the claim was the term KISS. I don't think anyone made it up. And the use of a real pharmas drugs. Because around 2000 there were few UGLs and the internet was just starting up. I think it is a bad idea to put up routines like this because there are too many gullible and naive guys under 25 that are influenced by this and could try this with very bad consequences.
And you have to remember that muscles are drug dependent for size. Once you go off you deflate fast. Here is a video of Coleman before and after.

16-Week Cycle: General Usage

Cut long esters at 6-8 weeks out and switch to short-acting compounds.
Increase anti-estrogens as the show get closer in order to get harder and dryer. This is where a lot of people fail because of lack of knowledge on the subject.
Testosterone should be cut anywhere between 2-4 weeks out. Some people can get away with going all the way to the show but it really depends on the person. If they're going for a very hard and dry look, then likely they'll cut it earlier.
Make sure supplementation is on target during the cycle to protect your health. I use liver support supplements, Flameout, Curcumin, etc.
Simplicity is the key; a cycle doesn't need to be fancy. If a bodybuilder is not advanced or experienced – and most who think they are actually aren't! – he should go with a lower dosage.

16-Week Sample Cycle: Moderate to High Dosage
This is an example of a common pro-bodybuilder cycle. It's something I've done before and I do not recommend this for anyone!
1-10 Testosterone Enanthate, 750mg a week (1000-1200mg advanced)
1-10 EQ, 800mg a week (1000mg advanced)
1-10 Tren E, 600mg/week (800mg advanced)
1-8  D-Bol, 50mg every day (up to 100mg advanced)
10-16 100mg Testosterone prop EOD (100mg ED advanced)
10-16 100mg Trenbolone Acetate EOD (75-100mg ED advanced)
10-16 100mg Masteron propionate EOD (100mg ED advanced)
10-16 50mg Winstrol or Anavar ED (sometime I do both)
8-16 Start T3 at 25mcg ED and taper up as needed.
12-16 Halotestin, start at 20mg ED and increase by 10mg every week (not a good choice for those who aren't mentally strong.)

Pharmaceutical GH 6-12 IU ED for the whole cycle (If people can afford more then the sky is the limit. I know guys who've gone up to 30 IUbut this is rare.)
Insulin For advanced lifters only! 5-10 IU pre-workout followed by drinking Plazma™right away. This is a moderate dosage, a lot of guys are using much more.
When to cut insulin is very individual and depends on conditioning, water retention and the amount of carbs the bodybuilder is eating. It could be run straight through or cut out in the weeks prior to the show and possibly reintroduced later on.

I would normally agree with beachbody on the reality of this cycle, but I think these days, this is what is more likely to be found out there. I think when WE think of pros, we think of the typical like Dorian and Levrone. The "pros" today are likely on this much and more. It would be interesting to know exactly who this "pro" was. I'd be thinking it was someone like Rich Piana or something in-between down to Bostin Lloyd.

Personally looking at that cycle, I would do well on a derivative of it. Something like . . .

1-10 Testosterone Enanthate, 750mg a week
1-10 Tren E, 300mg/week
1-8  D-Bol, 50mg every day
10-16 100mg Testosterone prop EOD
10-16 100mg Trenbolone Acetate EOD
10-16 100mg Masteron propionate EOD
10-16 50mg Winny ED
8-16 Start T4 at 100mcg ED (NOT T3 because HGH increases T3 production)
12-16 Halotestin 20mg ED 5 days on 2 off
HGH 10 IU ED
MC IGF 200mcg/day
Insulin 10 IU

And this is because I'm not a genetic wonder like Dorian or Levrone. As long as I got my calories in, I know I'd grow like a weed off of this, and my body could handle it.

"Most pros are regularly monitored by trusted doctors who know exactly what they are using"? I don't believe that at all. The only doctors that would do this are quacks.
And I think that the "pro's cycle" is phony. There was discussion by 2 pros on the Mus. dev. site on drug usage. Dorians Yates says he never used more than 1500 mg. a week. Kevin Levrone says he only used anadrol, deca durabolin and testosterone.
There was an article in the Oct.,2009 issue of Mus. Dev. Mag. called Olympia Anabolic Stack. By Dan Gwartney,MD. It was a lenghty discussion, but the conclusion was that "a person is as likely to discover the actual cycles of the top professionals as they are to get the recipe for Coca-Cola".
This thread is just somebody's opinion on what the pro's cycle should be, and is far from the truth.

I really don't give a shit about T Nation or their article, but I want to say, you're way off with everything..

First of all, YES, the top pro's are being monitored. I know a lot of people in the medical field, and there ARE some really cool doctors out there that support the cause, even for amateur bodybuilders. Obviously they are hard to find, but every now and then you run into one. The top pros, are sponsored by big names, and backed my a lot of money. Basically what i'm trying to say is there are connections out there, and pros on that levels will come across docs that do monitor them. I'm sure they might not necessarily give them anything illegal, but they are well aware of what they're putting their body through and they're keeping up on routine bloodwork with them to make sure they stay healthy through what they're doing. Some of these guys practically have their own little team, chiropractors, massage therapists, basically at that top elite level they need every advantage they can get. It's actually all very logical man. Theres a lot of money in bodybuilding. This ain't powerlifting..

and that brings me to number two. You say you think it's phony. Wtf does that even mean. The dude writing the article even says most of it is generalized. I'm sure the writer did run that cycle as well as maybe a couple others. It's not like it's at all outside the realm of possibilities. Amateur dudes making nothing are willing to push the limits with gear. You think dudes at the very top elite that have huge money on the line are taking baby doses? That's some naïve shit honestly. In a game where you try to control every variable to increase chances of success, well I guess that's anything at an elite level but still. You also have to consider that these guys more then likely have been running gear for a very long time, and over time have worked up to higher and higher doses. More then likely they're not even paying for any of the gear through sponsors or hook ups because gear it's self really isn't expensive, it's the hgh that costs money. So I have no doubts they have connections and pretty much have an unlimited supply. Some of them are in their peak years and if they don't do something big they'll just be washed to the back as a no namer. You think these elite guys, just because they have good genetics think, "Oh fuck it, i'm kevin levrone, I have awesome genetics, i'm only going to take a little bit of gear because that's all I really need." NO. At the top, they're pushing the limits. It's stupid to think otherwise. With millions on the line, yah you better believe i'd be pushing that shit. When it's your fucking JOB. That's how you earn a living.

Also, I think this goes towards someone elses post, but their supposed pharma gear really isn't any better then top UGL's now a days. It's... just.. not. They actually had a disadvantage because the doses were so much smaller in pharma gear. It's very easy to get UGL gear that is dosed within the same tolerances as pharma grade, if not tighter tolerances.. I mean take a look at anaboliclab.com Take the time to look at every single test and do the analysis in your head, regardless of that site I've looked at at least a few 100's HLPC assays.. As long as you know how potent your raws are, you can make perfectly dosed gear. It's seriously not rocket science. The smaller UGL's have a harder time with this, because they don't have the money to spend on doing HLPC or mass spec tests for every piece of raw they have. The bigger names like pharmacom are able to do this with their batches. This allows them to dose their shit spot on. Brewing isn't rocket science at all. Their are a couple UGL products that are harder to get right, in general. Pharma grade halo and drol just ALWAYS seems to be better then UGL for some reason. Not that it's really important but we also have exotics that didn't really exist or were not popular back then, aromatase inhibitors have taken over versus just using nolvadex, as well as peptides, and hgh and slin. These dudes are running huge mother fucking cocktails.

I read that article in MD with Dorian and Kevin. I find it very hard to believe they were being totally honest on their cycle layouts. Kevin said 600 test and 400 deca. I call bullshit!

Back