This is off-topic in a way, because I am speaking about Brazil. As far as I know, you can only become a personal trainer here if you first earn a degree in Physical Education (four years in College). I am not saying that all personal trainers in operation have the degree, but that is what the law requires.....

It seems like a lot of ins companies require at least minimal cert, they may be in bed with eachother. P training certs are really over rated IMO. As long as you can help the client do whatever, thats all they really want. Hard core BB's are the best sources, although not necessarily the best trainers. Trust me if you look and play the part, you likely wont get asked to prove yr certified at least by the member.

That's right. I just started using a PT and although he is in good shape he isn't jacked to the gills...and who gives a crap what his certs are...the way we hooked up..while he waited for his clients at the front desk I would sit there and eat my post workout oatmeal...
We started chit chatting about music...and after like 20 convos I finally asked him some questions to get a feel for him..based on his response I could say ok I will give him a chance....now we have a firm commitment for the next year for training...# 1 most important thing is we get along and he motivates me to work harder...that all I need..don't care about any certs.

The guys who are way about gym rat status and are jacked and ripped and either compete or will compete are to absorbed in there own thing...they don't train people too much...at least not from what I see

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That's right. I just started using a PT and although he is in good shape he isn't jacked to the gills...and who gives a crap what his certs are...the way we hooked up..while he waited for his clients at the front desk I would sit there and eat my post workout oatmeal...
We started chit chatting about music...and after like 20 convos I finally asked him some questions to get a feel for him..based on his response I could say ok I will give him a chance....now we have a firm commitment for the next year for training...# 1 most important thing is we get along and he motivates me to work harder...that all I need..don't care about any certs.

The guys who are way about gym rat status and are jacked and ripped and either compete or will compete are to absorbed in there own thing...they don't train people too much...at least not from what I see

i realize in this soft core de-nutted lifers we have now, a good hard core work out is frowned upon....the last few ones I trained have gotten on their FB page and commented that I pushed them hard and I was ruthless etc...in fact I dont think I pushed them past 30% of their capacity. WTF??

It seems like a lot of ins companies require at least minimal cert, they may be in bed with eachother. P training certs are really over rated IMO. As long as you can help the client do whatever, thats all they really want. Hard core BB's are the best sources, although not necessarily the best trainers. Trust me if you look and play the part, you likely wont get asked to prove yr certified at least by the member.

Yes, you're right. Exactly this is being taught in sales/marketing. Make your client happy and you're good to go.

Anything is easy if you are into it and like it! So you will find it easy.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing btw.
What I think is the hard part is finding a place to actually train people. Either you own your own place which is a costly endeavor.
Or you work for an established gym where they take a piece of your action.
If you just wanna have it for the on occasional personal question like you mentioned I think the only issue is maintaining your certification.

I have personal space in the basement of my home so can I train people there? I find it easy to earn because the gym in my locality do not give enough money to the trainers. There is sufficient space in my basement.

I have personal space in the basement of my home so can I train people there? I find it easy to earn because the gym in my locality do not give enough money to the trainers. There is sufficient space in my basement.
Do you have enough eqp to do the job? Ck with insurance as well, off hand I'd say why not??

But to the orginal issue, to be honest Ive learned more from my 38 yrs of lifting and giving that experience out to clients than any PT certification out there. Kind of like a mechanic, if you wanted to overhaul an engine would you ask someone w a degree in Auto Mechanics or would you ask a guy whos been a mechanic for many yrs and has the dirty hands and bruised knucles to prove it. Both have creditbility but I'd take the latter

Do you have enough eqp to do the job? Ck with insurance as well, off hand I'd say why not??

But to the orginal issue, to be honest Ive learned more from my 38 yrs of lifting and giving that experience out to clients than any PT certification out there. Kind of like a mechanic, if you wanted to overhaul an engine would you ask someone w a degree in Auto Mechanics or would you ask a guy whos been a mechanic for many yrs and has the dirty hands and bruised knucles to prove it. Both have creditbility but I'd take the latter

Well..... I was a Mercedes-Benz tech for about 17 years. Toward the end of my career in that bizness - I got out of that in 2009 - Mercedes-Benz was strongly encouraging dealers to hire only techs with an associate's degree in... I dunno what they call it.... we used to say "auto mechanics" but that's probably not high fallutin enough for a degree title. So, I've worked alongside some of these college graduates. Believe me, you want a guy with the dirty hands and bruised knuckles, like you said. Now, maybe the kid with the degree will be better in a shorter amount of time.... but he still needs time to get his hands dirty and his knuckles bloody!

Back