Best career field to be in?

Metal85

MuscleChemistry Registered Member
What do you think is the best career field to be in in 2014?
Take in to account things such as engineers are never safe from huge layoffs
Health care is no longer about patient care
Teaching requires a lot more schooling now
Lawn care is a huge gamble
etc
As far as stability, stress, wages go What in your opinion are some good (realistic) career paths now a days?

Lawn care or landscaping or landscape construction is a great business bro. During the recessions worst part lawn maintenance was not effected much because people need green lawns and need their homes or properties maintained. The backyard construction/pools took a great hit because of course people weren't spending that much extra. I know a lot of good buddies that have businesses that had a maintenance side and construction side and they did fine with the maintenance side bringing in revenue. Margins on maintenance are always good as opposed to the construction side which is cutthroat and lower margins and risk of not getting paid but they are nice to land once in a while.

Now with things picking up, homes selling and some building going on it is increasing.

One place I hear people are doing great is welders in South Dakota. I have a buddy who moved there with his wife when she transferred there with her bank and he took up welding and makes 6 figures but busts his ass because there is so much work.

You have to take risks bro. I moved out of state and risked a lot but knew I wasn't going to grow where I was at and wanted something different and now, after 6 years Im in a great position to be a partner at my company where if I was back home I would have never had this opportunity. But with more money and responsibility comes more stress and you just learn to prioritize to minimize the effect of it.

Last edited:
Lawn care or landscaping or landscape construction is a great business bro. During the recessions worst part lawn maintenance was not effected much because people need green lawns and need their homes or properties maintained. The backyard construction/pools took a great hit because of course people weren't spending that much extra. I know a lot of good buddies that have businesses that had a maintenance side and construction side and they did fine with the maintenance side bringing in revenue. Margins on maintenance are always good as opposed to the construction side which is cutthroat and lower margins and risk of not getting paid but they are nice to land once in a while.

Now with things picking up, homes selling and some building going on it is increasing.

One place I hear people are doing great is welders in South Dakota. I have a buddy who moved there with his wife when she transferred there with her bank and he took up welding and makes 6 figures but busts his ass because there is so much work.

You have to take risks bro. I moved out of state and risked a lot but knew I wasn't going to grow where I was at and wanted something different and now, after 6 years Im in a great position to be a partner at my company where if I was back home I would have never had this opportunity. But with more money and responsibility comes more stress and you just learn to prioritize to minimize the effect of it.

Nice brother, what do you do?
Yeah I know a few very successful lawn maintenance guys in my area. The bad part for me with that is every year my allergies are much worse, to the point now where I will get 10-15 minute nose bleeds in November and in March, along with a ton of eye pressure, sinus pressure, nausea etc. I still do side jobs outside like pressure washing or Painting home exteriors, sometimes I help my buddy do pool resurfacing too, but to be all in the grassclippings/weeds all day I'd be dead now (which is retarded bc at 8 years old I was mowing multiple yards and saving money until I was 16 with no problem at all )

Im in finance.

I hear you on the allergies. I haven't had issues in years but a few weeks ago had a bad allergy attack and was wiped out after yard work one weekend. I owe a lot to the control of my allergies to seeing a chiropractor, juicing (with a juicer lol) and drinking raw or almond milk.

You should look into incorporating so you can have different divisions ie, painting and maybe lawn or landscape construction. I have a buddy who owns a large company now but started with contracting janitorial work and lawn care. He later got into landscape construction and commercial landscape maintenance. That was able to land him a few good accounts with apartment management companies and was able to land a painting contracts. Now he doesn't paint at all and has someone else run that side and mostly sticks to the construction side.

Nice! Yeah I have been doing local honey in order to get off my allergy med which I haven't taken in months and it seems to do just as good without needing to take another med and be more taxing on my liver

I agree, am in constructor but also do maintenance on property its the way to go year round work.

What do you think is the best career field to be in in 2014?
Take in to account things such as engineers are never safe from huge layoffs
Health care is no longer about patient care
Teaching requires a lot more schooling now
Lawn care is a huge gamble
etc
As far as stability, stress, wages go What in your opinion are some good (realistic) career paths now a days?

I gotta say My Wife has it made being a teacher, 12 years teaching now, Tenure , summers off, weekends off, numerous holidays off! and a ton of sick and personal time if need be, great health insurance! She has her masters though, so yeah its a lot of school, but she got in with just her bachelors back then,

I tell anyone who will listen that being a teacher is the way to go!! though some districts don't pay as well as others, fortunately she is in a good paying school district!

I gotta say My Wife has it made being a teacher, 12 years teaching now, Tenure , summers off, weekends off, numerous holidays off! and a ton of sick and personal time if need be, great health insurance! She has her masters though, so yeah its a lot of school, but she got in with just her bachelors back then,

I tell anyone who will listen that being a teacher is the way to go!! though some districts don't pay as well as others, fortunately she is in a good paying school district!

That's awesome if you're in a good district plus work for a good principal. I know a lot of teachers, it's a shitty job but if they love it they are great. I love my kids' teachers and I am totally involved with them and teachers love that. Only thing I guess that would suck is not getting paid over the summer.

Tenure would be amazing. You are up north, it's a better system up there as far as teaching goes from everyone I know in that field

That's awesome if you're in a good district plus work for a good principal. I know a lot of teachers, it's a shitty job but if they love it they are great. I love my kids' teachers and I am totally involved with them and teachers love that. Only thing I guess that would suck is not getting paid over the summer.

you can choose to get paid throughout the summer if ya want, you can take your yearly salary however ya choose to.

you can choose to get paid throughout the summer if ya want, you can take your yearly salary however ya choose to.

lol they just put an end to that here too. I wonder if they get unemployment since they don't get paid during the summer. I know people in cape hatterras get it like 3 or 4 months out of the year w certain jobs bc it's considered a place that gets income only from ppl vacationing there (it may only be people with there own businesses)

lol they just put an end to that here too. I wonder if they get unemployment since they don't get paid during the summer. I know people in cape hatterras get it like 3 or 4 months out of the year w certain jobs bc it's considered a place that gets income only from ppl vacationing there (it may only be people with there own businesses)

No they can't collect unemoyement, it's their yearly salary , so summer wouldn't be considered unemployed.

I'm going to school for Business. I figured I could have many options with a Bachelors degree and Veteran status.

How about Triple Canopy? Did they carry over those amazing Blackwater salaries?

The oil and gas industry or some of the new emerging green energy fields.

No shit bro. We have a few locations in west texas, louisiana and mississippi and we lose staff that get tired of inside work and leave for harder work and twice or 3 times the pay. Honestly, if I was young and single I'd be in the fields too.

- - - Updated - - -

How about Triple Canopy? Did they carry over those amazing Blackwater salaries?

I'd keep my eye on the Keystone pipeline bro, that shit is going to create a ton of jobs and as a company in and around those areas we are preparing for people to jump in to blue collar work and make a killing on the salaries they may be able to get. Especially anything involving trade.

yeah ya can't go wrong in the oil industry i suppose

Yep it's flat out insane what a lot of these guys are making. My cousin and her husband signed on with big oil after getting their masters at close to 200k a year each. They've been there over 15 years now and that household is nabbing around 800k a year. They just got back from overseas and are up in Canada now. If I could go back it would be a no brainer.

Back