Do Most of You Deadlift?

I actually had a guy tell me in the gym the other day that my back overshadowed my pecs and arms......I was flattered, I've been working the shit out of my back for a while now, so it's nice to know that what I've been doing is working

I wasted years of body building by NOT doing deads--About 10 months ago i started them ,and have been doing them steady every 7 to 9 days--When I started,I could only do 180 lbs--i am now up to doing 10 reps at 300 lbs--but what i want to say is that DEADS changed my whole body!!evevrything started to grow--I was so use to doing the little movements that when I started doing deads my body,s mentality of growing changed--instead of stressing 10 to 15% of muscle i am now stressing about 70% of muscle with the deads.This switched my body's growth pattern and I really started to grow.

I like to do them last on back day. No belt, but I do use wrist straps on the heavier sets so I can avoid using an alternate grip.

KR :cool:

I did em today woo hoo....damn my strength is finally coming back and I am getting to be a big focker....all you big people here lil mid come!!!!

bigshug said:
...and I only pulled 565 for 4 reps the other week......lol

Bro, if those are full reset reps, you definitely have a 700 pull in you! If you're doing touch-and-go's, then I recommend you switch to full resets immediately. Not only do they hit your back A LOT harder, they teach you "starting strength" ala Dave Tate. If you ever plan on competing (which, with those numbers, you definitely should be), this will pay off tremendously.

I pulled 625 for 5 (full reset reps) tonight, so yeah, I guess I deadlift. LOL!

Have been afraid to pull after I blew out my L-5 disc-Seems like I can do any other back excercise and my back has responded well-I think I concentrate more cuz I know w/o deads I really gotta push-Maybe I'll try some light pulls just to see but I'll tell you guys-you NEVER want to feel the pain of a blown L-5-very scary

goldenear said:
Bro, if those are full reset reps, you definitely have a 700 pull in you! If you're doing touch-and-go's, then I recommend you switch to full resets immediately. Not only do they hit your back A LOT harder, they teach you "starting strength" ala Dave Tate. If you ever plan on competing (which, with those numbers, you definitely should be), this will pay off tremendously.

I pulled 625 for 5 (full reset reps) tonight, so yeah, I guess I deadlift. LOL!

What do you mean? I'm guessing I'm doing what you call touch and go's because that's pretty much what I'm doing - I'm, of course, pulling from the floor and letting the weight touch the floor (well, with that much it's kinda slamming the floor) in between each rep................problem is, and Saks can vouch for this, I let myself get psyched out by the weight sometimes. It seems like if I get the slightest bit of doubt in my mind whether or not I can actually do the weight, I usually fail.........

Tell me more about these full resets

I use to do deads, I think I'm going to start them bak up again on my next back day. But I have a question, can i do regular deads on back day and stiff- leg deads on leg day for Hams. Or should I do one of them 1 week and the other the next.

yep, did them yesterday; i don't like them at all but have read too much good stuff about them

by the way, they are working great as far as helping me do more weight on other excercises

bigshug said:
Tell me more about these full resets

Ok, we know that during a single rep deadlift attempt, there is no eccentric phase. That makes the deadlift a very unique exercise comnpared to every other lift. You don't get the advantage of an eccentric "loading" phase like you do on say bench. During the bench press, as you lower the bar to your chest, it's like you're compressing a big spring. This "loading" helps tremendously off the chest - even with the mandatory pause. Can you imagine how difficult the bench press would be if the bar was mechanically lowered down to your chest and then, instantly, all of the weight would be placed upon your body without an eccentric phase? LOL.

In a way, that's exactly what is happening with the deadlift. Thankfully, though, the weight isn't on top of us, which actually gives us mere mortals a chance to make an attempt. When you do touch-and-go reps, you're eliminating the need for absolute "starting strength" to initiate the pull because (1) you're taking advantage of the eccentric half of the lift (even though the weight isn't on top of you, there is still a positive effect), and (2) your muscles are continuously firing, negating the CNS coordination required to initiate the attemp off the floor, like on your first rep.

If you do full reset reps, you essentially are doing a series of singles because you are resetting your musculature, CNS, etc. at the bottom of each rep. You have to initiate each successive rep just as you did the first. You are still controlling the weight down because that's still very important (if you bail at the top in a meet, it WILL be a missed attempt even if your concentric effort was flawless). The eccentric part of the deadlift is very important for hypertrophy, coordination, meet rules, etc. You're just not using it to your advantage with full resets as you are in touch-and-go's.

Some guys even stand up completely between reps. I don't do that because it's hard enough to actually get down to the bar fully geared, so once I make it down to the bar, I'm gonna stay there. I simply allow my musculature to completely relax after each rep. That makes me initiate each successive pull with the exact same "starting strength" and intensity that the first rep required.

4play said:
I use to do deads, I think I'm going to start them bak up again on my next back day. But I have a question, can i do regular deads on back day and stiff- leg deads on leg day for Hams. Or should I do one of them 1 week and the other the next.

I do them both. Stiff-legged's are done with dumbells and very strict form so as to target hams and glutes and eleminate most of the lower back. So that leaves the most vulnerable area, the lower back, fresh for doing regular heavy deadlifts later in the week. And I get the added benefit of being able to loosen up and increase blood flow, indirectly, for my already sore hams.

KR

4play said:
But I have a question, can i do regular deads on back day and stiff- leg deads on leg day for Hams. Or should I do one of them 1 week and the other the next.

You have to be really careful here....It kinda depends on how much weight you're moving around. You'll find that as the poundages increase, you'll require a lot more time to recover even with pharmaceutical assistance. I would love to see someone pull 705 for 4's or 5's, come back 24-48 hours later and do stiffies with 5 plates for 10-12, and do this week after week. One word - IMPOSSIBLE.

Now, if you're only pulling 315 and ham curling 135, then, yeah, you may be able to get away with that week after week. As your training advances and those numbers start climbing, you really have to train instinctively instead of adhering to a strict program because the margin for error (with respect to overtraining/not recovering) is so much less than it was when you were a novice trainee.

I guess to put it more succinctly, only YOU can determine, based on your body's feedback, the frequency and layout of your exercises. Having said that, I would perform both exercises as frequently as possible, whether that be 1-2x per month, 1x per week, or somewhere in between.

hey goldenear--that was good reading--although I,m not sure of the point your trying to make--are you saying it is a good exercise or not?not trying to be funny but trying to get you to make your point clearer.

4play said:

Yes you can but I would have at least 3 days between the 2 workouts. Your lower back/spinal erectors can take more than 96 hours to recover

Back