Get Better Sleep to Build More Muscle

Muscle Insider

Written by Dr George N. Touliatos, MD

By George Touliatos, MD

Q: Doc, I’ve been having a hard time with sleep. That affects my recovery, big time. What can I do for this?A: Sleep is crucial, and I’ve been saying to all my patients that after the age of 40, sleep comes first, while nutrition follows in terms of recovery and performance. Bodybuilding requires at least eight hours of sleeping straight, before midnight (between 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.) for maximum REM deep sleep. Moreover, to enhance the sleeping process, you need to follow certain steps:

1. Don’t train in the evening. Stress hormones (adrenaline and cortisol) rush into the bloodstream and affect the central nervous system (CNS). A workout usually is accompanied by caffeine and other stimulants that may ruin sleep and easily lead to insomnia. Be aware that the half-life of caffeine is six hours.
2. Turn off the lights, cell phone, and TV. Don’t talk on the phone for at least an hour prior to your sleep (around 10:00 p.m.) Your brain has to be relaxed and you should stay away from overthinking.
3. Have dinner sharply at 9:00 p.m. It takes two hours for food to be digested and have an empty stomach before sleeping. Otherwise, you’ll feel discomfort from the digestion process.
4. Take a warm bath in order to relax.
5. Room temperature shouldn’t be too warm (65-70 degrees Fahrenheit).
6. Use a variety of supplements that aid sleep: melatonin (5mg), 5-HTP (100mg), GABA (500mg) and magnesium (250mg). When we have slept enough, we wake up full of energy, without the need of an alarm. On the contrary, chronic insomnia affects cortisol levels, leads to leptin/ghrelin imbalances that lead to visceral fat, cravings, and hunger. Gradually, adrenals get toasted, and the CNS undergoes breakdown. Muscles catabolize while testosterone and growth hormone levels drop.
Watch "Can GH Make My Small Hands & Feet Bigger?" Ask Dr Testosterone E 206
[embedded content]

George Touliatos, MD is an author, lecturer, champion competitive bodybuilder and expert in medical prevention regarding PED use in sports. Dr. Touliatos specializes in medical biopathology and is the medical associate of Orthobiotiki.gr and Medihall.gr, Age Management and Preventive Clinics in Athens, Greece. He is the author of four Greek books on bodybuilding, has extensively developed articles for www.anabolic.org and is the medical associate for the book “Anabolics, 11th Edition” (2017). Dr. Touliatos has been a columnist for the Greek editions of MuscleMag and Muscular Development magazines and has participated in several seminars across Greece and Cyprus, making numerous TV and radio appearances, doing interviews in print and online. His personal website is https://gtoul.com/

DISCUSS ON OUR FORUMSSUBSCRIBE TO MD TODAY
GET OFFICIAL MD STUFFVISIT OUR STORE
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

ALSO, MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOKTWITTERINSTAGRAM YOUTUBE

Written by Dr George N. Touliatos, MD

drtarticle_3723.jpg.pagespeed.ce_.NYZzA-sh34.jpg

By George Touliatos, MD

Q: Doc, I’ve been having a hard time with sleep. That affects my recovery, big time. What can I do for this?

A: Sleep is crucial, and I’ve been saying to all my patients that after the age of 40, sleep comes first, while nutrition follows in terms of recovery and performance. Bodybuilding requires at least eight hours of sleeping straight, before midnight (between 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.) for maximum REM deep sleep. Moreover, to enhance the sleeping process, you need to follow certain steps:

1. Don’t train in the evening. Stress hormones (adrenaline and cortisol) rush into the bloodstream and affect the central nervous system (CNS). A workout usually is accompanied by caffeine and other stimulants that may ruin sleep and easily lead to insomnia. Be aware that the half-life of caffeine is six hours.

2. Turn off the lights, cell phone, and TV. Don’t talk on the phone for at least an hour prior to your sleep (around 10:00 p.m.) Your brain has to be relaxed and you should stay away from overthinking.

3. Have dinner sharply at 9:00 p.m. It takes two hours for food to be digested and have an empty stomach before sleeping. Otherwise, you’ll feel discomfort from the digestion process.

4. Take a warm bath in order to relax.

5. Room temperature shouldn’t be too warm (65-70 degrees Fahrenheit).

6. Use a variety of supplements that aid sleep: melatonin (5mg), 5-HTP (100mg), GABA (500mg) and magnesium (250mg). When we have slept enough, we wake up full of energy, without the need of an alarm. On the contrary, chronic insomnia affects cortisol levels, leads to leptin/ghrelin imbalances that lead to visceral fat, cravings, and hunger. Gradually, adrenals get toasted, and the CNS undergoes breakdown. Muscles catabolize while testosterone and growth hormone levels drop.

Watch "Can GH Make My Small Hands & Feet Bigger?" Ask Dr Testosterone E 206

George Touliatos, MD is an author, lecturer, champion competitive bodybuilder and expert in medical prevention regarding PED use in sports. Dr. Touliatos specializes in medical biopathology and is the medical associate of Orthobiotiki.gr and Medihall.gr, Age Management and Preventive Clinics in Athens, Greece. He is the author of four Greek books on bodybuilding, has extensively developed articles for www.anabolic.org and is the medical associate for the book “Anabolics, 11th Edition” (2017). Dr. Touliatos has been a columnist for the Greek editions of MuscleMag and Muscular Development magazines and has participated in several seminars across Greece and Cyprus, making numerous TV and radio appearances, doing interviews in print and online. His personal website is https://gtoul.com/

DISCUSS ON OUR FORUMS

SUBSCRIBE TO MD TODAY

GET OFFICIAL MD STUFF

VISIT OUR STORE

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

ALSO, MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

INSTAGRAM

YOUTUBE

Click here to view the article.

Back