Has anyone here had an Epidural (spine Injection) for their back pain/discs?

Presser

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
I just wanted to see who all knows anything about Epidurals. I get mine soon and was praying it worked well for the pain i have from my bulging discs sitting on my nerves root.

I heard some horror storys to , so was curious as to what anyone else had to say about this

I only know that when my wife got one when she was in labor, that stuff hit instantly. I mean within seconds you could see her whole body relax.

That is funny that you said this.. I was at the gym today and the guy that runs it just had hip surgery and he said it was the best part of it all.. He couldn't fell anything !!!

But when my wife was in the hospital have our 1st son.. She said it didn't help at all.. So who knows !!

prolly would be done better under fluoro, bc than they can see where they are poking, but u get radiation, if not its in the office or bedside and they go in blindly, id rather have them see what they r doing personally

prolly would be done better under fluoro, bc than they can see where they are poking, but u get radiation, if not its in the office or bedside and they go in blindly, id rather have them see what they r doing personally

it is flouro with dye or contrast or someshit and they are putting me under at the hospital,

cool, weird that they are putting you under for it though, but good luck. There are alot of nerve ending and patches back there so IMO way better under xrays

no but I mix them up for the center. They use lidocaine or bupivicaine to numb the area (in inject). The fluro is for guidance. The steroid can be dexamethasone, cortisone, triamcinolone. It can last about 1 week to 1 year depending on the situation. Ive had many repeat patients and they say about 4 months is usual relief. For you though, Im skeptacal only bc you want to lift heavy. Ill have to think about this one to offer a real opinion. Maybe OssteoFix whcih is in studies. Try googling

I think you will be good press, I had this in my elbows when I ruptured the tendons ad I have been good to go for sme time, my friend and former olympian had ruptured disks and had this stuff triamcinolone used on him said second day hurt like hell but got better and then back to walking normally within a week, back to the gym lightly in 2.

An epidural spinal injection involves delivering anti-inflammatory medication - typically a steroid combined with an anesthetic - directly into the area around the irritated spinal nerves that are causing the pain. This area is called the epidural space, and it surrounds the sheath-like protective membrane - or dura - that covers the spinal nerves and nerve roots. Steroids reduce nerve irritation by inhibiting production of the proteins that cause inflammation; the anesthetic blocks nerve conduction in the area where it's applied, numbing the sensation of pain.

An epidural spinal injection may be done either for diagnostic or therapeutic reasons:

By injecting medication around a specific nerve root, your doctor can determine if that particular nerve root is the cause of the problem.
When administered for therapeutic reasons, a spinal epidural injection may provide long- or short-term relief, anywhere from a week to several months. In some instances, an epidural spinal injection may break the cycle of inflammation and provide permanent relief.
It's important to note, however, that an epidural spinal injection is typically not considered a "cure" for symptoms associated with spinal compression. Rather, it's a treatment "tool" that a doctor can use to help ease a patient's pain and discomfort as the underlying cause of the problem is being addressed through a rehabilitative program such as physical therapy, or while the patient is considering his or her surgical treatment options.

Many hospitals and medical centers have pain management physicians who perform epidural spinal injections for conditions such as spinal stenosis, disc herniation and arthritis in the facet joints of the spine. The types of physicians who administer these injections include physiatrists, anesthesiologists, radiologists, neurologists and surgeons.

An epidural spinal injection is generally done on an outpatient basis, either at your doctor's clinic or local hospital or medical center, and the procedure typically involves:

Delivering a mild sedative via an intravenous (IV) drip for relaxation (if desired);
Positioning the patient to give the doctor clear access to the area of the spine to be treated. Depending on the location of the spine to be treated, this may involve lying facedown or on your side on an operating table, or sitting up in a chair.
Wiping the skin with an antiseptic to clean the area where the epidural needle will be inserted;
Injecting a local anesthetic to numb the injection site;
Directing a small needle using fluoroscopy (a type of x-ray guidance that allows your doctor to monitor the placement of the needle) into the epidural space;
Injecting a small amount of contrast dye to confirm that the needle is placed properly, and that the medication spreads to the area where it's needed;
Injecting the steroid/anesthetic medication into the epidural space; and
Removing the needle from the epidural space, wiping the injection site with an antiseptic and covering it with a bandage.
The procedure typically takes 15-30 minutes. After the procedure, you'll be monitored for about 30-60 minutes in the recovery room. You should not drive following your injection; please have an adult driver available to take you home and to do any errands you may need that day. You also should avoid any strenuous activities for the rest of the day following your procedure. Your doctor also will have more specific after-care instructions for you; please follow his or her directives carefully to maximize your recovery potential.

damn I am scared shitless, seriously im a big pussy when it comes to this shit, and then they gave me a list of stuff not to take one week prior to the injection, and they said if i dont follow the list of stuff not to take, i could bleed bad, or could be paralyzed, which is extremely rare but if it werent for bad luck i wouldnt have any luck at all, so ofcourse im scared shitless.

I know everyone says its no big deal but im not a big fan of the hospital or doctors, and especialy having a needle stuck into my fucking spine area,lol

Forgot to mention the success rates are generally low (50%) receive complete pain relief..typically it will ease the discomfort somewhat for up to a year. Good luck bro. Hope it works for u

I had 3 done in my back. Never again it just didnt do squat for me. A year later someone had an injection with tainted cortisone at the same center I had mine done and died from it. Actually several people died from the tainted cortisone. They blamed the pharmacist who subsequently committed suicide.

Nothing to worry about bro, you will be fine, and its guided, and your not a fatass so that all comes into how easy it will be for them

Its hard not to afraid bro, but just look at it this way if it works then you will be back on your feet in no time and if it doesnt they will find another solution. Something has to work sooner or later, and im sure you will be good just ask for second opinions and get multiple dr's to determine if that is the best course of action.

The countdown is on! November 2nd I FINALY get the shots into my nerve/spine and i am extremely HOPEFULL!

Good man. Keep a positive attitude. Id be willing to bet that you do get some relief at bare minimum. The question will be how long will the relief last...

Good man. Keep a positive attitude. Id be willing to bet that you do get some relief at bare minimum. The question will be how long will the relief last...

hope so bro, I havent trained in 4 months, tryed working out twice just 2 weeks ago and it did more harm then good even using super light weight

They helped me out a bunch, had 3 over six month span, been doing more core work and stretching, just had one yesterday, last one lasted almost 5 months. In other words it might take several close together with some work on your part, but if I can get by with twice a year, better than surgery. Just remember after you do workouts , ice back for 20 minutes or so, or when you do anything strenuous. It won't, totally fix your back , but allow it heal with your help,

They helped me out a bunch, had 3 over six month span, been doing more core work and stretching, just had one yesterday, last one lasted almost 5 months. In other words it might take several close together with some work on your part, but if I can get by with twice a year, better than surgery. Just remember after you do workouts , ice back for 20 minutes or so, or when you do anything strenuous. It won't, totally fix your back , but allow it heal with your help,

why is it better the having surgery bro? I personaly wish they would just go straight to surgery and get this fixed once and for all, but i do pray those shots work well for me!!

where were your shots done, i have c5,c6 and c7 and then they found issues with T someting and t soemthing as well, when they did my emg, so again im praying for relief, i just want to train again

Back